2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

13th November 2014, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Merchant Navy after 10th

Sorry to say that you are not eligible to join the Merchant Navy after 10th firstly complete 12th with PCM than you will be eligible for it

After 12th you get the post of Deck Cadet in Merchant Navy
For higher posts you must have Graduation in Marine Engineering or Nautical Sciences.

Eligibility of Merchant Navy:
Candidate should be citizen of India.

Only unmarried male candidates are eligible.

Candidate must have passed in 12th exam with PCM from recognized university.

Candidate should be physically fit.

Age limit
Age should be between 16.5 to 19 years.

Selection Procedure:
Written Examination
Medical Examination
25th November 2014, 04:20 PM
Unregistered

Merchant Navy after 10th

I have done 10th and want to make career in Merchant Navy so please tell me how can I apply for this?
26th November 2014, 08:12 AM
Super Moderator

Sorry to say you cannot join Merchant navy after 10th

To join merchant navy the minimum eligibility is 12th with Physics, chemistry, Maths.

Then after it you can join as a Deck Cadet

So, first complete your studies than apply for Merchant Navy

Eligibility Criteria
10+2 or Equivalent with Chemistry, Maths and Physics as Subjects from recognized University

Age Limits:
Age should not be More than 20 years
For SC/ST it has been relaxed to 5 Years.

Physical Requirements
Candidates should be physically and mentally fit.
Candidate must have height not less than 150cm, weight should be according to the height.

If you apply After 10th than you must have to get these trainings
3 month Pre-Sea Course for Deck rating.
3 month Pre-Sea Course for Engine rating.
4 month Pre-Sea Course for General Purpose (GP) rating.
4 month Pre-Sea Course for Saloon rating.

Training institutes in India
Lal Bahadur Shastri College of advanced Maritime Studies and Research, Mumbai.
Marine Engineering & Research Institute (MERI), Kolkata.
Marine Engineering & Research Institute (MERI), Mumbai.
Training Ship Chanakya, Navi Mumbai
27th November 2014, 01:56 PM
Unregistered

Merchant Navy after 10th

Can you tell how can I join Merchant Navy after clearing10th exams from UP Board with 72% marks as I want to make a career in it?
27th November 2014, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator

Merchant Navy can be joined after 10th as seafarer after qualifying pre sea courses:

Pre-sea Training for personnel, man Dredgers, Tugs, OSVs, etc on N.C.V (DECK) Qualification -Minimum 10th standard, courses approved by DG Shipping (Govt of India)

Pre-sea Training for personnel, man Dredgers, Tugs, OSVs, etc on N.C.V (ENGINE) Qualification- Minimum 10th standard, courses approved by DG Shipping (Govt of India)

Age Limit: 16-25 Years
Medical Standards: Candidates should be physically and mentally strong, fit for sea-services under standard norms
Eye-Sight: 6/6 without glasses, No color Blindness. (The candidate is subject to medical examination).

Courses to Join Merchant Navy ; There are various courses to join after 10th or 12th in both private and govt training institute recognized and approved by Director General of Shipping, Ministry of Shipping.

Theses are; - •
Pre Sea Training – In this course you will get proper training of maintenance of engine as well as deck. It is also known as G.P.R (General Purpose Training) you can join this course after 10th with minimum aggregate percentage of 40% with Mathematics, science and English as compulsory subject and should have 40% marks in each of them.

The time duration of this course is 06 months and age limit is joining this course is 17 to 25 years. Beside that other short term courses are also there
3 month Pre-Sea Course in Deck rating.
3 month Pre-Sea Course in Engine rating.
4 month Pre-Sea Course in Saloon rating.

Deck cadet – In this course you are given a diploma in Nautical Science.
The minimum education qualification for this course is 10+2 with P.C.M (Physics, Chemistry and Math) as compulsory subjects and you should have scored minimum 50% in aggregate and 50% in English at 12th level.

STCW Course – This is basically a safety course which is compulsory for every seaman. This consists of four basic course i.e EFA (Elementary First Aid), EPFF (Fire Prevention & Fire Fighting ), PST (Provisional Survival Techniques) and PSSR (Pesonal Safety & Social responsibility). It is totally 15 days programme.

1 year Pre-Sea Diploma in Nautical Science Its leads to B.Sc Nautical Science affiliated to Indian Maritime University and approved by DG Shipping (Govt. of India) eligibility – 10+2 PCM/Bsc. Degree/ B.E./B. Tech. Degree

HND (Higher National Diploma) Nautical Science Qualification- Minimum 10+2 PCM

HND (Higher National Diploma) Marine Engineering Qualification- Minimum 10+2 PCM

B.E Marine Engineering (4-Year Degree course in Marine Engineering) Qualification- Minimum 10+2 PCM and English

B.S. in Nautical Technology (3 years training at Institute + 1 year at Sea) Qualification- Minimum 10+2 PCM

3-Year B.Sc. Degree in Nautical Science Qualification- Minimum 10+2 PCM and English

2-year Marine Engineering course Qualification – Diploma in Mechanical /Marine/ Naval Architecture / Electrical / Electrical and Electronics Engineering

1-year Marine Engineering Course, Graduate Marine Engineer(GME) Qualification – Graduation in BE (Mech) Engineering / Naval Arch. with minimum of 50% marks in final year and with 50% minimum marks in English language at 10th or 12th or in Degree Exam
19th May 2015, 02:13 PM
Unregistered

I have completed 10th form CBSE and now want to join Indian Merchant Navy so please give me all important details including selection criteria?
19th May 2015, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator

Merchant Navy is a profession which deals with transporting cargo or goods and passengers by sea using ships, from one port to another in the same country or different.

Merchant Navy Job Recruitment:

Merchant Navy is recruit candidates for various jobs after 10th / 12th for Deck Officer, Marine Engineer, Saloon Rating, Fitter, and Pre. Sea Rating Deck.

Educational Qualification:
Candidates must have completed his/her 10th or 12th standard from any recognized institute or board.

Age Limit:
Candidates should be above 17 years and below 25 years to be eligible to apply for merchant navy jobs.

Selection Criteria:
Candidates will be selected on the performance of Written test and short listed candidates are called for a final round i.e., for an interview.

Important Date:
Candidates should submit their application form on or before: 1st week of January

Selection Criteria:
Candidates will be selected on the performance of Written test and short listed candidates are called for a final round i.e., for an interview.

Important Date:
Candidates should submit their application form on or before: 1st week of January

Procedure to Apply:
Candidates apply through prescribed format along with all relevant Documents/ Certificates, two passport size Photos and two envelop affixed with 5 rupees post tickets, the applied candidates are informed that please write on the envelop with Application Post and send it to given following address:

To, Director,
ASMS 17-C, Raipur Road,
Dehradun (Uttarkhand) – 248001

Quick Reply
Your Username: Click here to log in