2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

30th May 2020, 07:50 AM
Super Moderator

Re: Anna University OS Syllabus

Anna University is a public state university located in Tamil Nadu, India. The main campus is in Guindy, Chennai and the satellite campus is in Chromepet, Chennai. It was established on 4 September 1978.

CS8493 OPERATING SYSTEMS
OBJECTIVES:
understand the basic concepts and functions of operating systems.
understand Processes and Threads
analyze Scheduling algorithms.
understand the concept of Deadlocks.
analyze various memory management schemes.
understand I/O management and File systems.

UNIT I OPERATING SYSTEM OVERVIEW
Computer System Overview-Basic Elements, Instruction Execution, Interrupts, Memory Hierarchy,
Cache Memory, Direct Memory Access, Multiprocessor and Multicore Organization. Operating
system overview-objectives and functions, Evolution of Operating System.- Computer System
Organization Operating System Structure and Operations- System Calls, System Programs, OS
Generation and System Boot.

UNIT II PROCESS MANAGEMENT
Processes – Process Concept, Process Scheduling, Operations on Processes, Inter-process
Communication; CPU Scheduling – Scheduling criteria, Scheduling algorithms, Multiple-processor
scheduling, Real time scheduling; Threads- Overview, Multithreading models, Threading issues;
Process Synchronization – The critical-section problem, Synchronization hardware, Mutex locks,
Semaphores, Classic problems of synchronization, Critical regions, Monitors; Deadlock – System
model, Deadlock characterization, Methods for handling deadlocks, Deadlock prevention,
Deadlock avoidance, Deadlock detection, Recovery from deadlock.

UNIT III STORAGE MANAGEMENT
Main Memory – Background, Swapping, Contiguous Memory Allocation, Paging, Segmentation,
Segmentation with paging, 32 and 64 bit architecture Examples; Virtual Memory – Background,
Demand Paging, Page Replacement, Allocation, Thrashing; Allocating Kernel Memory, OS
Examples.

UNIT IV FILE SYSTEMS AND I/O SYSTEMS
Mass Storage system – Overview of Mass Storage Structure, Disk Structure, Disk Scheduling and
Management, swap space management; File-System Interface – File concept, Access methods,
Directory Structure, Directory organization, File system mounting, File Sharing and Protection; File
System Implementation- File System Structure, Directory implementation, Allocation Methods,
Free Space Management, Efficiency and Performance, Recovery; I/O Systems – I/O Hardware,
Application I/O interface, Kernel I/O subsystem, Streams, Performance.

UNIT V CASE STUDY
Linux System -Design Principles, Kernel Modules, Process Management, Scheduling, Memory
Management, Input-Output Management, File System, Inter-process Communication; Mobile OS –
iOS and Android – Architecture and SDK Framework, Media Layer, Services Layer, Core OS
Layer, File System.

Departments

Faculty of Technology

Faculty of Information and Communication Engineering

Faculty of Civil Engineering

Faculty of Management Sciences

Faculty of Mechanical Engineering

Faculty of Science and Humanities

Faculty of Electrical and Electronics Engineering

Faculty of Architecture and Planning

Contact Details:

Anna University,