2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

9th April 2013, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator

Re: SIBM Entrance Papers

SNAP is the entrance exam conducted by the SIBM for the admission in post graduate courses and it generally held in the month of December.

Some content of the file has been given here:

DIRECTIONS for Questions 1 to 5: In each of the questions, four different ways of presenting an idea are given.

Choose the one that conforms most closely to standard English usage.

1. A. We are forced to fall back on fatalism as an explanation of irrational events.
B. We are forced to falling back on the fatalism as an explanation of irrational events.
C. We are forced to fall back on fatalism as explanations of irrational events.
D. We are forced to fall back to fatalism as an explanation of irrational events.

[1] A [2] B [3] C [4] D

2. A. Creativity in any field is regarded not only as valuable for itself but also as a service to the nation.
B. Creativity in any field is not regarded only as valuable on its own, but also as a service to the nation.
C. Creativity, in any field, is not only regarded as valuable, but also as a service to the nation. [3]
D. Creativity in any field is regarded not only as valuable in itself but also as a service to the nation.
[1] A [2] B [3] C [4] D

3. A. The running of large businesses consist of getting somebody to make something that somebody else sold to
somebody else for more than its cost.
B. The running of a large business consists of getting somebody to make something that somebody
else will sell to somebody else for more than it costs.
C. The running of a large business consists of getting somebody to sell something that somebody else made for
more than it cost.
D. The running of large businesses consist of getting somebody to make something else that somebody
else will sell to somebody else for more than it costs.
[1] A [2] B [3] C [4] D

For more detailed information I am uploading 5 PDF files which are free to download:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Modal Paper 1.pdf (976.8 KB, 63 views)
File Type: pdf SNAP Question Paper 2003.pdf (199.3 KB, 66 views)
File Type: pdf SNAP Question Paper 2007.pdf (297.7 KB, 42 views)
File Type: pdf SNAP Question Paper 2008.pdf (593.3 KB, 39 views)
File Type: pdf SNAP Question Paper 2009.pdf (630.2 KB, 56 views)
21st March 2015, 10:17 AM
Unregistered

I have applied for SIBM Entrance exam now this time I require its paper, so can you plz provide me here
21st March 2015, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator

As you want to get SIBM Entrance exam paper so I have this paper and share with you,

Directions (Qs.1 to 4): Choose the correct synonym of the word in capital letters from the four
options given below.
1. ENTRENCHED
a. Filled up
b. Fortified
c. Followed by
d. Kept down
2. RECTITUDE
a. renew
b. resort
c. integrity
d. liberate
3. INVlDIOUS
a. unacceptable
b. enticing
c. breathtaking
d. inverted
4. AFICIONADO
a. affection
b. good friend
c. tour guide
d. ardent fan
Direction (Q. 5): Choose the correct alternative for the following sentence:
5. Despite immense development in almost all the fields, humans still cannot control nature
and to do so.
a. probably not be able
b. probably will never able
SNAP December 2013 : English Language Question Paper Page 3
Page 3
SNAP December 2013 : English Language Question Paper
c. probably will never be able
d. perhaps be never having ability
Direction (Q. 6): The sentence given below is jumbled and each underlined part is numbered.
You are required to arrange it in the most logical and grammatically acceptable sequence.
6. a path (1)/ put up a notice. (2)/ to another (3)/ from one place (4)/ the public (5)/ Halton
Borough Council (6)/ about its (7)/ plans to move (8)/ to tell (9)
a. 5, 2, 9, 6, 7, 8, 1, 4, 3
b. 6, 8, 1, 4, 3, 2, 9, 7, 5
c. 5, 8, 1, 4, 3, 2, 9, 7, 6
d. 6, 2, 9, 5, 7, 8, 1, 4, 3
Directions (Qs.7 & 8): Choose the correct spelling:
7. Disgraphia is a deficiency in the ability to write, spell or put down thoughts on paper. The
underlined word is spelled incorrectly. Which of the following is the correct spelling?
a. Disgrephia
b. Disgrephia
c. Dysgraphya
d. Dysgraphia
8. PANGERYRIC means "to pay tribute to". The underlined word is spelt incorrectly. Mark the
correct spelling.
a. panegyric
b. penagyric
c. penagiryc
d. one of these
Directions (Qs.9 & 10): Identify two most appropriate options from those given below that
can complete the sentence without changing the meaning.
9. I ___________ scorpions, they are diabolic.
i. Hate
ii. Scare
SNAP December 2013 : English Language Question Paper Page 4
Page 4
iii. Loathe
iv. Wary
v. Cagey
a. i, v
b. v, iii
c. i, iii
d. ii, iv
10. To fully understand (A) ___________ work such as George Orwell's Animal Farm, one must
be able to differentiate (B) ___________ events of the plot from the abundant extended
metaphors.
Blank A Blank B
i. an allegorical iv. literal
ii. a tragic v. superficial
iii. a parabolic vi. figurative
a. ii, iv
b. i, iv
c. iii, iv
d. i, v
Direction (Q. 11): Find out the two words that are nearly the same or opposite in meaning
and choose the correct combination provided in the four options.
I. attenuate
II. repent
III. make thin
IV. force
a. IIII
b. IIIII
c. IIIV
d. III
Direction (Q. 12): Choose the word nearest in meaning to the word underlined.
12. A rapier is a
a. baton
b. rascal
c. quick sharp hit
d. long thin light sword
Directions (Qs. 13 & 14): Choose the correct alternatives for the following idioms.
13. Raise Cain
a. reincarnate
b. cause trouble
c. bring up
d. look after
14. Go to seed
a. harvesting
b. planting
c. become unfit and run down
d. financial ruin
Directions (Qs. 15 to 18): Read the following passage and answer these questions.
The next ingredient is a very remarkable one: Good Temper. "Love is not easily provoked".
Nothing could be more striking than to find this here. We are inclined to look upon bad temper
as a very harmless weakness. We speak of it as a mere infirmity of nature, a family failing, a
matter of temperament, not a thing to take into very serious account in estimating a man's
character. And yet here, right in the heart of this analysis of love, it finds a place; and the Bible
again and again returns to condemn it as one of the most destructive elements in human
nature. The peculiarity of ill temper is that it is the vice of the virtuous. It is often the one blot
on an otherwise noble character. You know men who are all but perfect, and women who
would be entirely perfect, but for an easily ruffled quicktemper
or "touchy" disposition. This
compatibility of ill temper with high moral character is one of the strongest and saddest
problems of ethics. The truth is there are two great classes of sinssins
of the Body, and sins of
disposition. The prodigal son may be taken as a type of the first, the Elder Brother of the
second. Now society has no doubt whatever as to which of these is the worse. Its brand falls,
without a challenge, upon the Prodigal. But are we right? We have no balance to weigh one
another's sins, and coarser and finer are but human words; but faults in the higher nature may
be less venial than those in the lower, and to the eye of Him who is love, a sin against love may
seem a hundred times more base. No form of vice, not worldliness, not greed of gold, not
drunkenness itself does more to unchristianise
society than evil temper. For embittering life,
for breaking up communities, for destroying the most sacred relationships, for devastating
homes, for withering up men and women, for taking the bloom off childhood; in short for sheer
gratuitous miseryproducing
power, this influence stands alone. Jealousy, anger, pride,
uncharity, cruelty, selfrighteousness,
touchiness, doggedness, sullennessin
varying properties
these are the ingredients of all ill temper. Judge if such sins of disposition are not worse to live
in, and for others to live with than sins of the body. There is really no place in Heaven for a
disposition like this. A man with such a mood could only make Heaven miserable for all the
people in it. (Excerpts from passages by Henry Drummond)
15. What is the popular notion about bad temper?
a. it IS a serious malady
b. it IS a harmless weakness
c. it IS a peculiarity
d. it shows strength of character
16. What does the word "venial" mean?
a. forgivable sin or mistake
b. deer meat
c. wicked
d. insect
17. The Bible condemns which of the following as one of the most destructive elements in
human nature?
a. anger
b. laziness
c. procrastination
SNAP December 2013 : English Language Question Paper Page 7
Page 7
d. splurging
18. Find the exact word in the passage which means easily or quickly offended.
a. uncharity
b. selfrighteousness
c. touchiness
d. pride
Directions (Q. 19): Fill in the blank with the correct option.
19. "If you are morose," you feel
a. excited
b. sleepy
c. peaceful
d. gloomy
Directions (Qs. 20 & 21): Name the part of speech of the underlined word in the following
sentences:
20. We scored as many goals as them.
a. conjunction
b. pronoun
c. adverb
d. preposition
21. There is more evidence yet to be offered.
a. verb
b. adverb
c. preposition
d. None of these
Directions (Q. 22): Identify a synonym to replace the underlined word(s).
22. The baby is in the carrying basket.
a. bassinet
b. tub
c. baby bag
d. perambulator
Directions (Q. 23): Which of the following does not denote the underlined word(s)?
23. The festival of Christmas.
a. Noel
b. Yule
c. Crimbo
d. Halloween
24. Choose the correct option to fill in the blank with the correct grammatical usage.
He has his finger ______ the pulse of the nation.
a. in
b. below
c. on
d. over
25. Identify the error in the following sentence by choosing from the given alternatives "Where
do you live" asked the stranger?
a. an exclamation should be used instead of a question mark
b. the question mark should be used inside the quotation marks
c. the question mark should be used outside the quotation marks
d. None of these
Directions (Qs. 26 & 27): In each of the following questions, the part of the sentence which is
in capitals and has been underlined may have an error. Correct the error.
26. Unless he DOES NOT GIVE UP smoking, we cannot be sure of any improvement in his health.
a. has not given up
b. gives up
c. did not give up
d. No improvement
27. A recently carried out metaanalysis
of two decades
of published research DOES NOT
SUGGEST THAT THERE SHOULD BE AN ASSOCIATION BETWEEN COFFEE DRINKING AND
CORONARY AILMENTS.
a. suggests that there IS no association between coffee drinking and coronary ailments.
b. any association between and coronary ailments is not suggested.
c. shows that coffee drinking should not be suggested to have an association with coronary
ailments.
d. suggests the association between coffee drinking and coronary ailments on a macro level.
28. In the following sentences, the order of the sentences has been jumbled up. Make the best
choice to find out the correct sequence so as to form a meaningful paragraph.
A. The following represents a condensed statement of what we think we now know about the
relationship between education and employment.
B. Although the linkages between education and employment are complex, and in the past,
often analysed with simplistic notions of casualty, recent research results have yielded new
insights about the nature of these linkages.
C. In the interests of brevity, the argument is put forward as a series of major propositions and
derivatives strategies relating to the education employment nexus.
D. Intensive research efforts are currently being supported through the developing world both
by national governments and international donor agencies in the hope of improving, understanding
of the nature and causes of rising unemployment.
E. The massive problems of widespread and chronic unemployment and underemployment
in
the less developed nations will remain among the most serious challenges to the development
policy during the next several decades.
a. ACBDE
b. BACDE
c. CABDE
SNAP December 2013 : English Language Question Paper Page 10
Page 10
d. DBEAC
29. Given below are four sentences, each of which mayor may not have an error. Following
them are four options. Select the option indicating the error free statement (s).
A. Fruits from Madhavs' garden were stolen.
B. Fruit's are sold here
C. All the students of the students' council agreed to raise funds.
D. The dress's texture was coarse
a. A and B are correct
b. A and C are correct
c. Only C is correct
d. Band D are correct
30. Choose the odd word out:
a. esoteric
b. exigent
c. occult
d. mystical
31. Choose the word or phrase that best completes the sentence:
The rebels sought to overcome the ...... strength of the police forces by engaging in ........
tactics.
a. lack of ........ divisionary
b. augmented ........ peaceful
c. preponderant ........ guerilla
d. power ........ foolish
Directions (Qs. 32 to 34): Read the following passage and answer the questions that follow.
My new mistress proved to be all she appeared when I first met her at the doora
woman of the
kindest heart and feelings. She had never had a slave under her control previously and prior to
her marriage she had been dependent upon her own industry for a living. She was by trade a
weaver, and by constant application to her business, she had been in a good degree preserved
from the lighting and dehumanising effects of slavery. I was utterly astonished at her goodness.
I scarcely knew how to behave towards her. My early instruction was all out of place. The
crouching servility, usually so acceptable a quality in a slave, did not answer when manifested
toward her. Her favour was not gained by it; she seemed to be disturbed by it. She did not
deem it to be impudent or unmannerly for a slave to look in the face. The meanest slave was
put fully at ease in her presence, and none left without feeling better for having seen her. But
alas! This kind heart had but a short time to remain such. The fatal poison of irresponsible
power was already in her hands, and soon commenced its internal work.
Very soon I went to live with Mr. and Mrs. Auld; she very kindly commenced to teach me the A,
B, C. After I had learnt this, she assisted me in learning to spell words of three and four letters.
Just at this point of my progress, Mr. Auld found out what was going on, and at once forbade
Mrs. Auld to instruct me further, telling her that it was unlawful, as well as unsafe, to teach a
slave to read. Further he said, "If you give a slave an inch, he will take a mile. A slave should
know nothing but to obey his masterto
do as he is told to do. Learning would spoil the best
slave in this world." "Now," said he, "if you teach that boy (speaking of myself) how to read,
there would be no keeping him. It would forever unfit him to be a slave. He would at once
become unmanageable, and of no value to his master. As to him, it could do him no good, but a
great deal of harm. It would make him discontented and unhappy. "These words sank deep into
my heart, stirred up sentiments within that lay slumbering, and called into existence an entirely
new train of thought. I now understood what had been to me a most perplexing difficultythe
white man's power to enslave the black man. From that moment, I understood that pathway
from slavery to freedom. Though conscious of the difficulty of learning without a teacher, I set
out with high hope, and a fixed purpose, at whatever cost of trouble, to learn how to read. The
very decided manner with which my master spoke, and strove to impress his wife with the evil
consequences of giving me instruction, served to convince me that he was deeply sensible of
the truths he was uttering. It gave me the best assurance that I might rely with the utmost
confidence on the results which, he said, would flow from teaching me to read. What he most
dreaded, that I most desired. What he most loved, that I most hated. That which to him was
great evil, to be carefully shunned, was to me a great good, to be diligently sought and the
argument which he so warmly urged, against my learning to read, only served to inspire me
with a desire and determination to learn. In learning to read, T owe almost as much to the
bitter opposition of my master, as to the kindly aid of my mistress. I acknowledge the benefit of
both. (Excerpt from Fredrick Douglass)
32. The author's main purpose in this passage is to
a. describe a disagreement between a woman and her husband
b. analyse the reason for prohibiting the education of slaves
c. describe a slave's discovery of literacy as a means of freedom
d. dramatise a slave's change in attitude towards his mistress.
33. For which of the following reasons does Mr. Auld forbid 'his wife to educate the slave?
A. Providing slaves with an education violates the law
B. He believes slaves lack the capacity for education
C. He fears education would leave the slave less submissive
a. Only A
b. Only C
c. A and B
d. A and C
34. The tone of author in acknowledging his debt to his master can be best described as
a. sentimental and nostalgic
b. cutting and ironic
c. petulant and selfrighteous
d. resigned but wistful
35. Replace the underlined phrase with the one which is closest to it in meaning.
I DROPPED A CLANGER when I mentioned her exhusband.
a. Inadvertently caused embarrassment
b. Let go of a clanger
c. Toppled a lampshade
d. None of these
Directions (Qs. 36 to 38): Fill in the blanks in the sentences with the appropriate choices.
36. I should not have ………. to talk in such a ………. strain especially when I had not studied the
man to whom I was talking.
a. daring ………. commanding
b. tried ………. bold
c. ventured ………. peremptory
d. emboldened ………. reckless
37. The ………. of Agatha Christie's argument is that human nature remains the same, wherever
you are.
a. acne
b. pinnacle
c. nadir
d. crux
38. The ………. play caused me to squirm in my seat, but she began to .............. her eyes in a way
that irritated me.
a. delirious ………. spot
b. grin ………. wet
c. disastrous ………. damp
d. maudlin ………. daub
Directions (Qs. 39 & 40): Select the choice that best replaces the underlined part of the
sentence given in the question:
39. There they stood on the top shelf, all 20 volumes, their red binding and gold lettering
undoubtedly making them the most attractive between all the books on the bookshelf
a. their red binding and gold lettering undoubtedly making them the most attractive between
all the books on
b. their red binding and gold lettering undoubtedly making them the most attractive among all
the books on
c. their red binding and gold lettering undoubtedly made them the most attractive among the
books in
d. their red binding and gold lettering undoubtedly making them seem the most attractive
among all the books on
40. Everything in the world decays, it comes to an end and also dies inevitably.
a. decays, it comes to an end and also dies inevitably.
b. decays, comes to an end and dies inevitably
c. decays and as it comes to an end it also dies inevitably
d. decay, they come to an end and then they die inevitably

ANSWERS
1. (b)2. (c)3. (a)4. (d)5. (c)6. (d)7. (d)8. (a)9. (c)10. (d)11. (a)12. (d)13. (b)14. (c)15. (a)16. (a)17. (a)18. (c)19. (d)20. (b)21. (b)22. (a)23. (d)24. (c)25. (b)26. (b)27. (a)28. (d)29. (b)30. (b)31. (c)32. (c)33. (b)34. (b)35. (a)36. (b)37. (d)38. (d)39. (b)40. (b)

Quick Reply
Your Username: Click here to log in