2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

5th June 2015, 11:13 AM
Unregistered

Biochemistry Syllabus Bangalore University

Hello sir I am a student of Bangalore University of B.Sc biochemistry and preparing for exam of my 1st semester of B.Sc biochemistry. Can you please provide me the details of syllabus of 1st semester of B.Sc biochemistry of BU?
5th June 2015, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

Re: Biochemistry Syllabus Bangalore University

As per your request here I am providing you the details of the syllabus of 1st semester of B.Sc biochemistry of BU.

B.Sc. Biochemistry First Semester
Biochemistry – I

Unit-I
1. Measurement SI Units – International System of Units – Basic Units, Derived Units. Simple problems relating to derived units (conversions) – Prefixes, subsidiary units – Non SI units and their SI equivalents. Significant figures – and computarion Dimensional analysis for volume, density pressure, surface tension and viscosity. Exponential notation – expression of a large number in an exponential form; purposes, positive and negative powers of 10. Graphical representation of data – Types of graphs, Advantages of showing data in graphical forum. Errors in quantitative analysis – types ,sources minimization of errors. Precision and accuracy. Relationship between significant figures and precision .

2. Atomic structure Electromagnetic radiation – (wave length, frequency, velocity, wave number) electromagnetic spectrum,Nature of wave particle.
Quantum numbers & their significance (Principal quantum number, Azimuthal quantum
number(1) , Magnetic quantum number (m) and Spin quantum number [s] )
Shapes of Atomic orbitals – s, p and d orbitals. Pauli Exclusion Principle, Aufbau Principle, Hund’s rule of maximum multiplicity¬cause of stability of half filled and completely filled energy levels. Electronic configuration of elements up to At No
.54, (n+l rule , 2n2 ,orderof energy levels to be followed) Oxidation numbers – concept, difference between valency and oxidation number, and computation. calculation of equivalent weights of oxidising and reducing agents.

Unit-II 13 hrs
3. Chemical bonding Ionic bond ¬ factors favouring formation – lattice
energy – energetics of Ionic bond formation (NaCl as example) Born – Haber cycle – for Nacl. Calculation of Lattice energy Characteristics of ionic compounds. Covalent bond¬ definition, pictorial representation of covalent bond formation in H2, HCl, NH3, CO2
and N2. Valence bond theory – postulates, Sigma and pi bonds Hybridization of orbitals and directoral characteristics –sp,sp2 , sp3(egs¬ methane, ethene and acetylene) Resonance forms of H2 and Benzene. VSPER theory¬Shapes of H2O, NH3, H3O+, SF4
, ClF3and ICl2. Molecular Orbital Theory – postulates, Atomic orbitals and molecular orbitals; conditions for the formation of molecular orbitals. LCAO – Bonding and antibonding molecular orbitals; comparison between bonding and antibonding molecular orbitals. Shapes of molecular orbitals (by s¬s, s¬p, p¬p overlap) – pictures to b
e given. Molecular orbital diagrams for the formation of H2, He and O2. Polarisation concept, Fajan’s rule, bond length, bond angle and bond energy, dipole moment.Coordinate bond – Donor, acceptor, representation of the formation of co¬ordinate bond in H3O+, NH4+. Chelates – ligands, chelates in biological systems (mention chlorophyll, vitamin B12, haeme, catalase as examples) Hydrogen bond – inter and intramolecular hydrogen bond¬ anomalous properties of HF, H2O,NH3
and nitro phenols Van¬der Waals forces – definition.

For your convienence here I am providing you the complete details of syllabus please check the below attaced file:

Department of Biochemistry,
Central College Campus,
Dr. Ambedkar Veedhi,
Bangalore – 560 001
Phone: +91-080-22961335

Bangalore University
Jnana Bharathi Campus Off Mysore Road,, Bengaluru, Karnataka 560056 ‎
080 2321 3023

[MAP]Bangalore University[/MAP]
Attached Files
File Type: pdf B.Sc biochemistry BU syllabus.pdf (213.3 KB, 199 views)
3rd February 2021, 07:43 PM
Unregistered

Re: Biochemistry Syllabus Bangalore University

hello sir/madam, I am a repeater from 2008-2010 batch of Msc Biochemistry. This year i am writing exam of 3rd sem Molecular biology-1. I kindly request to attach the present revised syllabus as it can help me.

Quick Reply
Your Username: Click here to log in