2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

7th November 2014, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator

Re: MBA or Civil Services

If you are interested in Civil services and you meet the physical standards required for Civil Services Examination then go for this but if you want jobs in companies as management field then go for MBA. Both are very different field and according to me there is no chance of confusion, you may choose according to your interest.

Civil Services:
For Civil Services you have to crack Civil Services Examination (CSE) which is nationwide competitive examination in India conducted by the Union Public Service Commission for recruitment to Indian Administrative Service (IAS), Indian Foreign Service (IFS), and Indian Police Service (IPS).

It is conducted in two following phases:
The Preliminary examination:
General Studies
Aptitude Test

The Main examination: Essay type

Personality Test (Interview)

Educational Eligibility:
A degree from a Central, State or Deemed university or
A degree received through Correspondence Education or Distance or
A degree from an Open University or
A qualification recognized by the Government of India

Age limit:
Minimum: 21 years
Maximum: 32 years

Number of Attempts:
General Category Candidates and OBC Category Candidates under the Creamy layer = 6 attempts
OBC Category Candidates = 9 attempts
SC/ST Candidates = Unlimited

MBA (Master of Business Administration)
The Master of Business Administration (MBA) is a master's degree in business administration and management. Core courses in an MBA program cover various areas of business like accounting, finance, marketing, human resources, and operations management.

The MBA is offered by many Business schools in country in full-time, part-time, executive, and distance learning mode.

Educational Eligibility: Graduation

Admissions Criteria:
Based on:
Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT)
Graduate Record Examination (GRE) and other exams
9th January 2016, 01:52 PM
Unregistered

Hello sir, after my graduation with B.Tech I’m confused to select course between MBA or Civil services? Any one please suggests me which am best after B.Tech engineering?
9th January 2016, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator

After B.Tech you have two choices one of the higher education and second is getting job in government and private firms.

Here you are confused between MBA or Civil services so don’t take any stress. Both are good in their specialization. If you select MBA it provides you best study in its specialization which you select and it also helps you to find high salary package job. . An MBA helps you in your career growth; you can opt for an MBA.

In other hand It all depends on your career goal. If you have any public service motive in you then you can go for civil services. Civil services exams generally require dedicated preparation. Since you are already into a job, I think it will be difficult to find that much time for civil services exams while doing job.

Top few MBA colleges in india;

Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad (IIM-A)Post Graduate Program in Management
Indian Institute of Management, Calcutta (IIM C)Post Graduate Diploma in Management
XLRI - Xavier School of ManagementPostgraduate Diploma in Business Management
Faculty of Management Studies - University of Delhi (FMS)Master in Business Administration

And for civil services you are required to apply online using the website of UPSc

Detailed instructions for filling up online applications are available on the abovementioned website. The applicants are advised to submit only single application.

Quick Reply
Your Username: Click here to log in