2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

3rd September 2015, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator

Re: Solapur University Chemistry Department

As you want to get the list of courses offered in Solapur University Chemistry Department so here is the information of the same for you:

Courses Offered:

1. M.Sc. (Chemistry) (Polymer Chemistry)
2. M.Sc. (Chemistry) (Industrial Chemistry)
3. M.Sc. (Chemistry) (Organic Chemistry)

Facilities:

• Well-furnished classrooms with LCD projectors.
• Internet facility is available to Students.
• Well-equipped computer lab with 20 computers.
• Offers best teaching and laboratory facilities at moderate fees.
• Centralized and Department Library.

Major Research Areas :

Polymer Chemistry,
Organic Chemistry,
Medicinal Chemistry.

Campus Interviews:

Students of M. Sc. Polymer, Industrial and Organic Chemistry are placed in :
i) Smruti Organics, Chincholi MIDC, Solapur
ii) Balaji Amines, Chincholi MIDC, Solapur
iii) C-MET, Pune
iv) Lupin Chemical Ltd., Tarapur, Pune & Goa.
v) NCL, Pune

Here for your reference I am giving you the syllabus of M.Sc. (Chemistry) (Polymer Chemistry):

Semester I

Paper I: Inorganic Chemistry I
Paper II: Organic Chemistry I
Paper III: Physical Chemistry I
Paper IV: Analytical Chemistry I
Practical I (Inorganic Chemistry + Analytical Chemistry)
Practical II (Organic Chemistry I + Physical Chemistry)

Semester II

Paper V: Inorganic Chemistry II
Paper VI: Organic Chemistry II
Paper VII: Physical Chemistry II
Paper VIII: Analytical Chemistry II
Practical III Inorganic Chemistry + Analytical Chemistry)
Practical IV: (Organic Chemistry I + Physical Chemistry)

Inorganic Chemistry – I:
1. Wave Mechanics (12)

Origin of quantum theory, black body radiation, atomic spectra, photoelectric effect, matter waves, wave nature of the electron, the wave equation, the theory of hydrogen atom, particle in one dimensional box, transformations of coordinates, separation of variables and their significance

2. Stereochemistry and Bonding in Main Group Compounds (08)

VSEPR theory, Walsh diagrams (tri and penta-atomic molecules) dπ – pπ bonds, Bent rule and energies of hybridization, some simple reactions of covalently bonded molecules

3. Chemistry of Transition Elements (12)

General characteristic properties of transition elements, co-ordination chemistry of transition metal ions, ligand field theory, ligand field energy parameters(Racah parameters B and C, Slater Condon Parameters, Slater Condon Shortley Parameters), splitting of d orbitals in low symmetry environment, Janh-Teller effect, interpretation of electronic spectra including charge transfer spectra , spectrochemical series, nephelauxetic series, metal clusters, metal carbonyls

4. Electronic, Electric and Optical Behavior of Inorganic Materials, (08)

Metals, insulators and semiconductors, electronic structure of solids, band theory, intrinsic and extrinsic semiconductors, doping of semiconductors and conduction mechanism, semiconductor devices, rectifiers, transistors, optical devices, photoconductors, photovoltaic cell.

5. Metallurgy (08)

Occurance, extraction, properties and applications of copper, silver, gold, tin and lead.

RECOMMENDED BOOKS:

1. A. F. Wells, Structural Inorganic Chemistry – 5th Edition (1984)
2. James H. Huheey, Inorganic Chemistry- Principle, Structure and Reactivity, Harper and Row Publisher Inc., New York (1972)
3. J. D. Lee, Concise Inorganic Chemistry, ELBS with Chapman and Hall, London
4. A.R. West, Solid State Chemistry and its applications, Plenum
5. N.B. Hanny, Solid State Physics
6. H.V. Keer, Solid State Chemistry
7. S.O. Pillai, Solid State Physics
8. W.D. Callister, Material Science and Engineering: An Introduction
9. R. Raghwan, First Course in Material Science
10. R.W. Cahan, The coming of Material Science
11. A.R. West, Basic Solid State Chemistry, 2nd Edition
12. U. Schubest and H. Husing, Synthesis of Inorganic Materials, Wiley VCH (2000)
13. M.C. Day and Selbin, Theoretical Inorganic Chemistry, Reinhold, EWAP
14. A.H. Hanny, Solid State Chemistry, A.H. Publication
15. John Wullf, The Structure and Properties of Materials, Vol. 4, Electronic properties, Willey Estern
16. L.V. Azoroff and J.J. Brophy, Elecronic Processes in Materials, Mc Graw Hill –I
17. Prakash G. More, Comprehensive Industrial Chemistry, Pragati Prakashan, Meerut
18. F.A. Cotton and R.G. Wilkinson, Advanced Inorganic Chemistry
19. Williams and L. Jooly, Modern Inorganic Chemistry
20. Manas Chanda, Atomic Structure and Bonding
21. N.N. Greenwood and A. Earnshaw, Chemistry of Elements, Pergamon
22. Chakrabarty, Solid State Chemistry, New Age International
23. S.J. Lipard and J.M. Berg, Principles of Bioinorganic Chemistry, University Science Books
24. G.L. Eichhron, Inorganic Bichemistry, Vol I and II, Elsevier
25. J.J. Lipard, Progress in Inorganic Chemistry, Vol 18 and 38, Wiley
26. E. Konig, Structure and Bonding, Vol 9, 1971, 175

Organic Chemistry-1:
1. Reaction Mechanism: Structure and Reactivity (8)

Types of reactions, potential energy diagrams, transition states and intermediates. Generation, structure, stability and reactivity of carbocations, carbanions, free radicals, carbenes and nitrenes. Acid and Bases: Bronsted and Lewis acids and bases, pH and pKa, Hard and soft acids and bases, strength of acids and bases.

2. Aliphatic Nucleophilic substitutions: (8)

The SN2, SN1 and mixed SN1 & SN2 and SET mechanism and stereochemistry, SNi mechanism and stereochemistry. Nucleophilic substitutions at an allylic, aliphatic trigonal and vinylic carbons. Reactivity effect of substrate structure, effect of attacking nucleophiles, leaving groups and reaction medium, phase transfer catalyst, ambident nucleophiles, Neighbouring Group Participation.

3. Aromatic Electrophilic Substitutions: (8)

Introduction, the arenium ion mechanism, orientation and reactivity in Nitration, Sulphonation, Friedel-Crafts and Halogenation in monosubstituted aromatic systems, energy profile diagrams. The ortho / para ratio, ipso attack, orientation in other ring systems (naphthalene, anthracene, 6 and 5 membered aromatic heterocyclic compounds). Diazo-coupling, Vilsmeir reaction, Gatterman-Koch reaction. Nucleophilic aromatic substitution reactions SN1, SN2 and Arynes.

4. Addition to Carbon–Carbon Multiple Bonds (6)

Mechanism and stereochemical aspects of the addition reactions involving electrophiles, nucleophiles and free radicals, regio-and chemo – selectivity, orientation and reactivity. Michael reaction. Sharpless asymmetric epoxidation.

5. Elimination Reactions: (4)

The E1, E2 and E1cB mechanisms. Orientation in Elimination reactions. Reactivity: effects of substrate structures , attacking base, the leaving group, the nature of medium on elimination reactions, comutation between substitution and elimination reactions, pyrolytic elimination reactions.

6. Rearrangements: (6)

Study of following rearrangements with mechanism and stereochemistry: Beckman, Fries, Hoffman, Schmidt, Curtius , Losses, Claisen & Benzilic acid.

7. Stereochemistry: (8)
Concept of Chirality: Recognition of symmetry elements and chiral structures, Prochiral relationship. Lexemic modifications and their resolution. R and S nomenclature. Geometrical isomerism, E and Z. Nomenclature., Erythro- and Threo- nomenclature, Conformational analysis of disubstituted cyclohexanes, optical activity in the absence of chiral carbon i.e. stereochemistry of biphenyls, allenes and spiranes.

RECOMMENDED BOOKS

1) A guide book to mechanism in Organic Chemistry (Orient-Longmens)- Peter Sykes
2) Organic reaction mechanism (Benjamin) R. Breslow
3) Mechanism and structure in Organic Chemistry (Holt Reinh.)B. S. Gould.
4) Organic chemistry (McGraw-Hill) Hendrickson, Cram and Hammond.
5) Basic principles of Organic Chemistry (Benjamin) J. D.Roberts and M. C. Caserio.
6) Reactive Intermediates in Organic Chemistry (John Wiley) N. S. Issacs.
7) Stereochemistry of Carbon compounds. (McGraw-Hill )E.L.Eliel
8) Organic Stereochemistry (McGraw-Hill) by Hallas.
9) Organic reaction mechanism (McGraw-Hill) R. K. Bansal.
10) Organic Chemistry- R. T. Morrison and R. N. Boyd,(Prentice Hall.)
11) Modern organic reactions (Benjumin) H. O. House.
12) Principle of organic synthesis- R.O.C. Norman and J. M. Coxon.(ELBS)
13) Reaction mechanism in Organic Chemistry- S. M. Mukharji and S. P. Singh.
14) Stereochemistry of Organic Compounds) D. Nasipuri.
15) Advanced Organic Chemistry (McGraw-Hill) J. March.
16) Introduction to Stereochemistry (Benjumin) K. Mislow.
17) Stereochemistry by P. S. Kalsi (New Age International)

For more detailed information I am uploading a PDF file which is free to download:

Contact Details:

Solapur University
Solapur Pune National Highway,
Kegaon
Solapur,
Maharashtra 413255
India

[MAP]Solapur University Solapur Maharashtra[/MAP]

Quick Reply
Your Username: Click here to log in