2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

4th June 2015, 05:04 PM
Unregistered

Integrated Phd in Physics in TIFR

Provide me important dates when the admission process will start for Integrated M.Sc.-Ph.D. Program in Physics at TIFR. I have done B.SC Physics from University of Mumbai. As per my information there is an Entrance Test conducted by TIFR, so please provide me syllabus for Entrance Exam of TIFR for Integrated M.Sc.-Ph.D. Program in Physics.
Similar Threads
Thread
TIFR Physics Olympiad
TIFR Faculty Physics
TIFR Physics Department
High Energy Physics TIFR
TIFR Syllabus for Physics
TIFR High Energy Physics
TIFR Entrance Exam for Integrated PhD Study Material
TIFR Entrance Exam For MSC Physics
TIFR M.Sc physics
TIFR physics Mumbai
Integrated MSc Phd Physics Colleges India
Physics syllabus for TIFR
Department of Theoretical Physics TIFR
Integrated M.Sc Physics entrance exam last year papers of University of Hyderabad
IIA Integrated M.Sc-Ph.D Programme in Physics and Astrophysics
Fee Structure for M.Sc PhD Physics Integrated
Colleges offering Integrated Physics in Kerala
IISC Integrated Ph.D (Physics) Entrance Exam syllabus
Integrated Msc Physics Offering Colleges
TIFR Physics syllabus
9th January 2020, 11:47 AM
Unregistered

Re: Integrated Phd in Physics in TIFR

Can you tell me about the eligibility requirement for admission in Integrated -Ph.D. Program in Physics offered by TIFR (Tata Institute of Fundamental Research)? Also tell me about Graduate School Admissions (GS) Test for admission in I-Ph.D?
9th January 2020, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

Re: Integrated Phd in Physics in TIFR

The Graduate Programme at TIFR (Tata Institute of Fundamental Research) is classified into the following Subjects - Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Computer & Systems Sciences (including Communications and Applied Probability) and Science Education. It is conducted at the Mumbai campus and various National Centres of TIFR.

The Institute runs a graduate programme leading to the award of Ph.D., Integrated M.Sc.-Ph.D. as well as M.Sc. degree in certain subjects. With its distinguished faculty, world class facilities and stimulating research environment, it is an ideal place for aspiring scientists to initiate career.

Integrated -Ph.D. Program in Physics

Eligibility

One must have M.E./M. Tech./B.Sc./B.S./B.E./ B. Tech./B. Chem in Physics, Engineering Physics, or equivalent degree, on completion of programmes) minimum 3 years of duration in total or any other degree in Science / Engineering / Medicine, or equivalent, on completion of programmes of minimum 3 years duration in total.

In addition, I-Ph.D. candidates with not less than four or more years of university education who clear the written test may be considered by TIFR-H for their Ph.D. program.

Entrance test for the Ph.D. Programme: Physical Sciences

SYLLABUS

In general, the syllabus for the Admissions Tests in Physics (Written and Interview) is typically a course of studies in Physics as the main subject in the Undergraduate and Master levels in an Indian University. The questions in the written test (multiple choice types) and the interviews are distributed over the following areas: Classical Mechanics; Mathematics relevant to Physics; Electricity and Magnetism; Quantum Mechanics; Heat, Thermodynamics and Statistical Physics; General Physics; Modern Physics; Electronics and Experimental Physics.

SAMPLE QUESTIONS
(NOTE: Wrong answers will get you negative marks)

1. The function f (z) = z2 + 1 is integrated over a circle of unit radius in the complex z plane. What is the value of the integral?
[a] 1
[b] i
[c] 0

2. Charged particles are beamed into a region having a uniform electric field of 103 Newton/ Coulomb and a uniform magnetic field of 10-2 Newton/(ampere meter). The electric and magnetic fields are at right angles to each other and the beam of particles is directed perpendicular to both of them, so that the electrical and magnetic forces on an ion oppose each other. The speed of those ions that are unaffected through this region is:
[a] 104 m/s
[b] 105 m/s
[c] 106 m/s

3. The electron in a free Hydrogen atom is initially in the state with quantum numbers n = 3 and 1 = 2. It makes an electric dipole transition to a lower energy state. Which of the given states could it finally be in?
[a] n = 3, 1 = 0
[b] n = 2, 1 = 2
[c] n = 2, 1 = 1

4. N particles are distributed amongst three levels having energies 0, kT and 2kT. If the total equilibrium energy of the system is approximately 425kT, what is the value of N?
[a] 1001
[b] 335
[c] 425
[d] 390
[e] 181

Quick Reply
Your Username: Click here to log in