2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

28th January 2013, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator

Re: IIM Interview

You want to see interview question which was asked to IIM toppers so here are some interview questions which was asked to IIM Topper Rohit Karan:

(Q) Which interviews did you appear for?

(A) I appeared for 4 interviews, namely - IIM Ahmedabad, Banglore, Calcutta and Kozhikode

(Q) Why Kozhikode instead and not IIM Lucknow or IIM Indore?

(A) The IIM Kozhikode interview was scheduled just one day before the crucial IIM Banglore interview. I chose to take it as a practice interview. Moreover both were scheduled in the same city - New Delhi.

(Q) DO you remember anything about the setting of the GDs?

(A) The IIM A GD had people from similar background. All were engineers, more specifically they were IITians. On the other hand, the IIM K and IIM C GDs had people from a diverse set of backgrounds.

Q) Did this have any specific outcome for your GD experience?

(A) Yes. In the IIMA GD, it was easier to communicate, since we had a common ground and instant bonding (if you can call it that). However, in the other GDs, it was not so easy to talk to people.

(Q) How do you recall the GDs on a qualitative basis?

(A) At the moment, I recall that the IIM A GD was more structured. As a group we were pretty relaxed and at total ease. Overall, we talked a lot of sense. On the other hand, the IIM Cal GD was a bit on the aggressive side. The topic was a bit esoteric and more often than not, we ended up digressing from the point.

(Q) Can you give us specific information on the respective GDs?

(A) The IIM A GD topic concerned an FMCG firm which wanted to launch a cola in rural and semi-urban areas. We were given some facts and figures and supposed to come up with a "Go/No" recommendation. We were given 10 minutes to read the details, 20 minutes to discuss and 5 minutes to write out our respective summaries. As I mentioned before, the GD was a good one, with everyone contributing and talking sense.

The IIM B GD was a case study about a person who had to impersonate another man. The individual in question was an honest man and therefore faced with an ethical dilemma. We had 10 minutes to read up, 15 minutes to discuss and 10 minutes to write a summary.

The IIM Cal GD was a case study concerning attrition rates (the rate at which employees leave a firm) in a BPO. The GD group was a totally chaotic one, with no one ready to listen to anyone else. I didn't contribute much. We were given 5 minutes to think, 12-13 minutes to discuss with 1 minute per person to summarize (in random order).

(Q) Did you make any mistakes during the GDs?

(A) Yes. In one of the GDs, I ended up getting into an argument with someone. It took someone else's intervention to stop us. I guess that could have been avoided very easily. In the IIM Cal GD, I did not speak up much. As a direct result, I was grilled a bit in the personal interview.

(Q) How were the PIs like?

(A) IIM Ahmedabad panel had 3 people. A lady (LP), an old gentleman (OP) and a younger professor (YP). I suspect that the OP was a quants professor and the YP was possibly from an operations background.

The other candidates were interviewed before I was. Based on the general mood, I was able to guess that the panel was not grilling interviewees. However, the panel was testing academic knowledge.

LP: What HSS courses have you taken so far?

Rohit: I recall doing a course on Philosopy

LP: What did you learn in that course?

Rohit: I read about a couple of philosophers. I can recall Descasrtes and the 5 stages of existence…

LP: What did you learn from the course on Organizational Behavior?

Rohit: I learned about motivational theories, blah blah

LP: What kind of books do you read?

Rohit: Mostly Biographical

LP: What books have you read recently?

Rohit: Feynman, Michael Schumacher, Gandhi, Lance Armstrong….

LP: What do you like about Schumacher?

Rohit: His motivation, blah blah….

OP: So Rohit, you are from Rourkela. What is so special about that place that a lot of students get into the IITs?

Rohit: I don't think there are that many IITians from there.

OP: If you look at results every year, you will find a lot of people from Rourkela and Bhilai.

Rohit: Well, given the academic environment and high levels of competition, blah blah

Quick Reply
Your Username: Click here to log in