2024 2025 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

25th July 2015, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Chemistry Department DDU Gorakhpur University

Deen Dayal Upadhyay Gorakhpur University Department of Chemistry was established in 1958.
The department offers following courses:

Courses;
Master of Science in Chemistry

Eligibility:
The candidate should have passed bachelor’s degree or equivalent from any recognized university.

Bachelors of Science in Chemistry
Eligibility:

The candidate should have pass 12th with Science stream.

Syllabus;

Paper I
Physical Chemistry
1. Mathematical Concepts and Computers
(A) Mathematical Concepts
Logarithmic relations, curve sketching, linear graphs and calculation of slopes, differentiation of functions like f(x), ex, xn, sin x, log x; maxima and minima, partial differentiation and reciprocity relations. Integration of some useful/relevant functions; permutations and combinations, Factorials and Probability.
(B) Computers
General introduction to computers, different components of a computer, hardware and software, input-output devices; binary numbers and arithmetic; introduction to computer languages. Programming, operating systems.

2. Gaseous States
Postulates of kinetic theory of gases, deviation from ideal behaviour, van der Waals equation of state.
Critical Phenomena : PV isotherms of real gases, continuity of states, the isotherms of van der Waals equation, relationship between critical constants and van der Waals constants, the law of corresponding states, reduced equation of state.
Molecular Velocities : Root mean square, average and most probable velocities. Qualitative discussion of the Maxwell's distribution of molecular velocities, collision number, mean free path and collision diameter. Liquefaction of gases.

3. Liquid State
Intermolecular forces, structure of liquids (a qualitative description). Structural differences between solids, liquids and gases.
Liquid crystals: Difference between liquid crystal, solid and liquid. Classification, structure of nematic, smectic and cholesteric phases and applications.
DDUGU B.Sc Chemistry syllabus
B.Sc. I
Paper II
Inorganic Chemistry
1. Atomic Structure and Periodic Table
Quantum numbers. shapes of s, p and d orbitals. Pauli’s exclusion principle. Hund's rule Aufbau principle. Variation of orbital energies with atomic number and energy level diagram. Long form of periodic table based on electronic configuration.
2. Periodic properties of elements :
(i) Types of radii (Covalent, Crystal and Van der Waal)
(ii) Electron affinity and its variation
(iii) Ionisation potential, Factors affecting the magniutude of I.P., Concept of effective nuclear charge and shielding effect (Calculation of Screening constant with Slater's rules.)
(iv) Electronegativity (Pauling, Mulliken and Allred Rochow scale) and its variation.
3. Chemical Bonding :
(i) Ionic: Conditions favouring the ionic bond, radius ratio in ionic solids.
Concept of lattice energy and Born-Haber cycle, Polarisation of ions and Fajan's rules.
(ii) Covalent and brief idea of other bonds:
Concept of directed valence and hybrid orbital description (sp, sp2, sp3, sp3d and sp3d2) using simple illustrations, determination of the shapes of molecules and ions viz. NH3, H2O, H3O+, SF4, ClF3, ICl2- and I3- by VSEPR concept, Concept of maximum covalency. Odd electron bond, Hydrogen bond, Three centre bond and Metallic bond.
4. General studies of s and p block elements :
Group wise discussion with respect to electronic configuration, ionisation potential, electron affinity, electronegativity, atomic and ionic radii, oxidation states, catenation and inert pair effect (wherever applicable). Trends in their hydrides, oxides and halides.
5. Occurrence, extraction and isolation of Li, Be and F2
6. (a) Preparation, properties and structures of diborane, borazine, hydrazine, interhalogens and polyhalides and fluorides of xenon.
(b) Structure and basicities of oxyacids of B, P and S.
Books Recommended:
B.Sc.-1
Paper- III
Organic Chemistry
1. Structure and Reactivity
Bond orbitals of carbon (sp, sp2 and sp3 Hybridization). Polarity of co-valent bonds; types of electronic displacements (Inductive, Electromeric, Resonance and Hyperconjugation); Hydrogen-bonding; Homolysis and Heterolysis; Concept of Carbocation, Carbanion and Free radicals.
2. Alkenes, Alkynes Alkadienes and cycloalkanes
(i) Elementary treatment of mechanism of addition of hydrogen, halogens, halogen acids, water and sulphuric acid.
(ii) Hydroboration, epoxidation, ozonolysis and hydroxylation.
(iii) Acetylene as carbon acid (replacement by Na,Cu and Ag).
(iv) Hydration, halogenation, addition of HCl and organic acids.
(v) Stability and addition reactions of 1,3-butadiene.
(vi) General methods of preparation and properties of small ring cycloalkanes. Treatment of optical and geometrical isomerism.
3. Stereochemistry:
(i) Optical isomerism
(a) Concept of chirality, elements of symmetry.
(b) Optical isomerism of compounds containing one (lactic acid) and two asymmetric carbons tartaric acid).
(ii) Methods of racemization and resolution, relative and absolute configuration.
(iii) Geometrical isomerism: Maleic and fumaric acid, and methods for their configurations.
(iv) Sawhorse and Newman’s projection formula; R-S, D-L and E-Z nomenclatures.
(v) Conformations of ethane and n-butane
4. Alkyl halides and Grignard’s Reagent
Mechanisms of nucleophilic substitution reactions of alkyl halides. Preparation and synthetic applications of Grignard Reagent.
5. Alcohols and Ethers
(a) Classification, distinctions and mechanism of dehydration of primary, secondary and tertiary alcohols.
(b) Isomerism of propanols, butanols and pentanols.
(c) Industrial preparation, reactions and structures of glycerol.
(d) Ethers: Williamson’s synthesis, formation and cleavage of oxonium salts, elementary idea about crown ethers.
6. General reactions of carbonyl compounds

(i) Oxidation-Reduction(Catalytic,LiAlH4,Clemmensen’s,Meerwein-Ponndorf-Verley reduction.
(ii) Mechanism of addition of alcohol, sodium bisulphite and HCN.
(iii) Mechanism of Aldol & Cannizzaro reactions, and Wolff-Kishner reduction.
7. Carboxylic acids:
(i) Structure of carboxylic group.
(ii) Acid strength with special reference to formic, acetic, propionic and chloroacetic acids.
(iii) Mechanism of esterification & ester hydrolysis (BAc2 and AAc2 mechanism.).
(iv) Mechanism of acetylation with Acetic anhydride and acetyl chloride.
8. Example of compounds containing reactive methylene group: Preparation and synthetic uses of acetoacetic ester and malonic esters only, keto-enol tautomerism.
9. Nitrogen containing compounds:
(i) Preparation and distinction between
(a) alkyl nitrites & nitroalkanes, and
(b) alkyl cyanides & alkylisocyanides.
(ii) Amines
(a) Classification, distinction and separation of Primary, Secondary & tertiary amines.
(b) General methods of preparation and general reactions.
(c) Relative basicities of methyl, ethyl, dimethyl, diethyl, trimethyl and triethylamines.
10. Numerical questions based on determination of structural formula.
Books Recommended:

B.Sc. I
PRACTICALS
The duration of practical examination will be of six hours and will comprise of the following exercises:
1. General - calibration of thermometer and fractional weights
2 Inorganic Chemistry:
Qualitative analysis of an inorganic mixture containing five radicals out of the following preferably by semi-micro technque (including insoluble substances):-
NH4+ , Na+, K+, Mg++, Ca++, Sr++, Ba++, Zn++, Mn++, Ni++, Co++, Al+++, Fe+++, Cr+++, Cu++, Bi++, Hg+, Hg++, Cd++ As+++, Sb+++, Sn++, Pb+ ,Pb++, Ag+. CO32-,NO2-, S2-, SO32- ,SO42-, F-, Cl-, Br-, NO3-, CH3COO- , Borate, Oxalate, and Phosphate.
3. Physical Chemistry
1. Determination of molecular weight of sulphur by Rast Method.
2. Kinetics of precipitation of sulphur from sodium thiosulphate by mineral acid.
3. Kinetics of dissolution of Mg-ribbon in HCl.
4. To determine the percentage composition of a given binary mixture (non-interacting systems) by viscosity methods.
5. To determine the percentage composition of a given binary mixture (non - interacting) by surface tension method.

4. Organic Chemistry
(a) Preparation of organic compounds:
1. Acetanilide
2. p-bromoacetanilide
3. picrates

(b) Crystallization and determination of melting point.
1. Phthalic acid from hot water (using fluted filter paper and stemless funnel)
2. Acetanilide from boiling water
3. Naphthalene from ethanol
4. Benzoic acid from water

The distribution of marks will be as follows:
1. Mixture Analysis (3 marks for each correct radical) 15
2 Organic preparation 10
3. Crystallization 05
4. Physical Chemistry 15

5. Viva Voce 10
6. Record 10
Total 65
Note : The number of candidates to be examined in the practical per batch should not exceed 50. At least one experiment is to be given from each section in the examination.

Faculty list :
Prof. I. Das
Prof. N.B. Singh (Retired)
Prof. Gurdip Singh (Retired)
Prof. S.K. Sengupta
Prof. B.P. Barnawal
Dr. A.K. Tiwari
Dr. I.P.S. Kapoor
Dr. S.S.D. Mishra (DST Young Scientist)

Department of Chemistry,
D.D.U. Gorakhpur University,
Gorakhpur

[MAP] Gorakhpur University [/MAP]
For detailed syllabus, here is attachment:’
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DDUGU B.Sc Chemistry syllabus.pdf (926.3 KB, 195 views)

Quick Reply
Your Username: Click here to log in