2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

22nd November 2019, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator

Re: Bharathiar University Old Question Papers Msc Maths

The syllabus of M.Sc. Mathematics under Department of Mathematics of Bharathiar University, Coimbatore on which the question paper is based is as follows:

Course Name : ALGEBRA - I
No. of credits : 4
Course Code : 19MATA13A
No of Teaching hours : 5

Unit I: Introduction to groups: Dihedral groups - Symmetric groups - Matrix groups -
Homomorphisms and Isomorphisms - Group actions Subgroups: Definition and Examples - Centralizers and Normalizer, Stabilizers and Kernels.

Unit II: Subgroups: Cyclic groups and Cyclic subgroups of a group. Quotient Groups and
Homomorphisms: Definitions and Examples - More on cosets and Lagrange’s Theorem – The isomorphism theorems - Transpositions and the Alternating group.

Unit III: Group Actions: Group actions and permutation representations - Groups acting on themselves by left multiplication - Cayley’s theorem - Groups acting on themselves by conjugation - The class equation - Automorphisms.

Unit IV: Group Actions: Sylow’s theorems - The simplicity of An.

Unit V: Direct and semi-direct products and abelian groups: Direct Products – The fundamental theorem of finitely generated abelian groups - Table of groups of small order – semi direct products.

Text Book:
“Abstract Algebra” by David S. Dummit and Richard M. Foote, Third Edition, Wiley (2018)
Unit I : Chapter 1: (Sections 1.2, 1.3. 1.4, 1.6, 1.7); Chapter 2: (Sections 2.1, 2.2)
Unit II : Chapter 2: (Sections 2.3); Chapter 3: (Sections 3.1, 3.2, 3.3, 3.5)
Unit III: Chapter 4: (Sections 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 4.4)
Unit IV: Chapter 4: (Sections 4.5, 4.6)
Unit V : Chapter 5: (Sections 5.1, 5.2, 5.3, 5.5)

Reference Books:
1. Topics in Algebra by I.N. Herstein, John Wiley & Sons (Second Ed), New Delhi, 1975.
2. Lectures in Abstract Algebra Vol. I by N. Jacobson, D. Van Nostrand Co., New York, 1976.

Syllabus of M.Sc. Mathematics Bharathiar University

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Syllabus of M.Sc. Mathematics Bharathiar University.pdf (1.04 MB, 127 views)
4th December 2019, 08:33 AM
Unregistered

Can you provide me the syllabus of M.Sc – Mathematics offered by Bharathiar University, Coimbatore on which the question paper is based?
4th December 2019, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator

The syllabus of M.Sc – Mathematics offered by Bharathiar University, Coimbatore on which the question paper is based is as follows:

Title of the Subject: ALGEBRA-I

No. of credits: 4

Code No. :18MATA13A

No of Teaching hours:5

Course objectives:

• Learn the elementary concepts and basic ideas involved in homomorphism and isomorphism.
• Develop the ability to form and evaluate group theory and its actions.
Understand the fundamental concepts of abstract algebra which include sylow theorems and
relative this concept to the direct products and abelian groups.

Unit-I:
Introduction to groupsihedral groups - Symmetric groups - Matrix groups – Homomorphisms and Isomorphisms - Group actions. Subgroups: Definition and Examples - Centralizers and Normalizer, Stabilizers and Kernels.

Unit-II:
Cyclic groups and Cyclic subgroups of a group:Quotient Groups and Homomorphisms:
Definitions and Examples - More on cosets and Lagrange’s Theorem - The isomorphism
theorems - Transpositions and the Alternating group.

Unit-III:
Group Actions: Group actions and permutation representations - Groups acting on themselves by left multiplication - Cayley’s theorem - Groups acting on themselves by conjugation - The class equation - Automorphisms.

Unit-IV:
TheSylow theorems - The simplicity of An.Further topics in group theory: p-groups, Nilpotent groups and Solvable groups.

Unit-V:
Direct and semi-direct products and abelian groups: Direct Products - The fundamental theorem of finitely generated abelian groups - Table of groups of small order - semi direct products.

Text Book:
“Abstract Algebra” (Third Edition) by David S. Dummitand Richard M. Foote, Wiley Student Edition (1999),
Unit I : Chapter 1: (Sections 1.2, 1.3. 1.4, 1.6, 1.7)
Chapter 2: (Sections 2.1, 2.2)
Unit II : Chapter 2: (Sections 2.3)
Chapter 3: (Sections 3.1, 3.2, 3.3, 3.5)
Unit III :Chapter 4: (Sections 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 4.4)
Unit IV: Chapter 4: (Sections 4.5, 4.6)
Chapter 6: (Sections 6.1, 6.2)
Unit V: Chapter 5: (Sections 5.1, 5.2, 5.3, 5.5)

Syllabus M.Sc – Mathematics Bharathiar University, Coimbatore

21st July 2022, 01:50 PM
Anusha Ajimalan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi I am Reena studying Msc Maths first year at Bharathiar University . From where I can get the Msc Maths Old Question Papers of Bharathiar University so that I can get idea about the marking scheme and the distribution ?
Hello sister
Please reply me how is Msc.mathethatics entrance exam in Bharathiyar University...I am very confused sister ...so please tell me how to you got a seat in Bharathiyar University

Quick Reply
Your Username: Click here to log in