2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

31st January 2020, 06:44 PM
Unregistered

Re: Allahabad University Physics Department

Can you provide me the M.Sc. Physics Syllabus offered by Department of Physics of University of Allahabad as I want to check it before joining the Course?
31st January 2020, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Allahabad University Physics Department

The M.Sc. Physics Syllabus offered by Department of Physics of University of Allahabad I as follows:

SEMESTER – I
MATHEMATICAL PHYSICS
PHY501

Unit I Complex Analysis: Analytic functions, Cauchy-Riemann equations, Cauchy’s theorem, Cauchy’s Integral formula, Laurent series, Poles, Residue theorem, Evaluation of integrals.

Unit II Linear Differential Equations: Second order linear differential equations; Regular, regular singular and singular points; series expansion method.

Unit III Special Functions: Bessel, Legendre, Hermite and Laguerre differential equations with properties of their solutions.

Unit IV Integral transforms: Laplace transform, Fourier theorem, Fourier transforms.

Unit V Dirac delta function and Green’s function: Green’s function for Laplace operator, Solution of Poisson’s equation, Inhomogeneous Wave equation and applications.

CLASSICAL MECHANICS
PHY502

Unit I Variational Principles and Langrange’s Equations: Hamilton’s principle, Calculus of variations, Langrange’s equations, Conservation Theorems and symmetry properties.

Unit II Hamiltonian formalism: Legendre transformations and the Hamiltonian Equations of Motion, Cyclic coordinates.

Unit III Canonical Transformations: Canonical transformations, Poisson Bracket

Unit IV Hamilton – Jacoby Theory: Hamiltonian Jacoby equations; Hamiltonian Jacoby theory, geometrical optics and wave mechanics

Unit V Small oscillations and normal modes: Small oscillations about a stable equilibrium, Normal modes and their frequencies, Langrangian and Hamiltonian formalism of Classical Fields.

M.Sc. Physics Syllabus University of Allahabad

Attached Files
File Type: pdf M.Sc. Physics Syllabus University of Allahabad.pdf (300.5 KB, 180 views)

Quick Reply
Your Username: Click here to log in