2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

8th March 2016, 08:31 AM
Unregistered

What is Sous Chef

Hello sir I am here as I want to know what is Sous Chef so will you please tell me about this?? Provide me other details of Sous Chef if possible
Similar Threads
Thread
IIHM Young Chef India Schools
SOU Chef
Chef Institutes In Mumbai
Master Chef salary
Education Needed To Be A Pastry Chef
What Is The Salary of A Pastry Chef
Boston Chef Jobs
World's Best Chef Schools
8th March 2016, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator

Re: What is Sous Chef

A Sous-Chef de Cuisine is a chef who is "the second in command in a kitchen; the person ranking next after the head chef."

Consequently, the sous-chef holds a lot of responsibility in the kitchen, which can eventually lead to promotion to becoming the Executive Chef. A sous-chef is employed by an institution that uses a commercial-grade kitchen such as a restaurant, hotel, or cruise ship.

Key responsibilities:

-Running the kitchen when the head chef is away
-Ensuring your brigade has high culinary standards
-Managing food purchasing and storage
-Maintaining a safe and hygienic kitchen environment
-Helping create new recipes and write menus

Education Requirements for a Successful Sous Chef Career
While some sous chefs might be able to work their way up through the ranks with hard work, a formal education is often the best way to start a sous chef career. The majority of individuals interested in this type of career will usually earn culinary arts degrees.

Culinary arts degree programs are available at culinary art schools, along with vocational schools and traditional colleges and universities. While earning their degrees, individuals interested in sous chef careers will often take courses on kitchen sanitation, food preparation, and cooking.
Job Skills and Requirements
-Creativity: Knowledge of ingredients and how to use them in a creative way will serve you well.

-Leadership Skills: Sous chefs are in charge often manage the entire kitchen, from the dishwasher to the cooks. Being a good leader, who can assign tasks, hire the right people, motivate workers in a high stress environment will help you immensely.

-Hand-Eye Coordination: All chefs work with knives and must have excellent technique when cutting and preparing food. Hand-eye coordination is needed.
-Sense of Taste and Smell: Delicious food brings in customers. Sous chefs are the last line of defense to make sure each piece of food is safe, prepared correctly and tasty.

-Time Management Skills: Kitchens get busy quickly, food can get ruined easily if you cannot manage your time. Great time management will help you avoid burned or spoiled food and angry customers.
Salary
A sous chef is one of the higher paying chef jobs, with average salaries starting at $30,000 or more plus additional compensation such as benefits.

Quick Reply
Your Username: Click here to log in