2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

25th February 2016, 12:53 PM
Unregistered

What Is Respiration

Hello sir, I am Ranjeet Singh. I am from Chennai. I want you to help me by giving me some information about the respiration. Can you tell me what respiration is?
Similar Threads
Thread
SALT Respiration
25th February 2016, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

Re: What Is Respiration

Respiration is defined as the movement of oxygen from the outside air to the cells within tissues, and the transport of carbon dioxide in the opposite direction.

Breathing (which in organisms with lungs is called ventilation and includes inhalation and exhalation) is a part of physiologic respiration. Thus, in precise usage, the words breathing and ventilation are hyponyms, not synonyms, of respiration.

Respiration is a metabolic process common to all living things.

Food molecules absorbed after digestion are taken in, broken down, and the energy freed in the process is used to power the organism's movements and physiological functioning.

Respiration is the biochemical process in which the cells of an organism obtain energy by combining oxygen and glucose, resulting in the release of carbon dioxide, water, and ATP, the currency of energy in cells.

Respiration is the antithesis to the process of photosynthesis, in which carbon dioxide and water are taken in by autotrophs, along with sunlight, to make glucose and oxygen.

Autotrophs include any photosynthesizing organisms, such as plants and algae, all of whom also undergo respiration.

The products of photosynthesis are taken in by heterotrophs, organisms who cannot make their own energy and rely upon autotrophs for food.
Respiration occurs in a similar way to the internal combustion of your car engine: organic compounds and oxygen go in, carbon dioxide and water come out, and the energy released in the process powers the car or cell.
Respiration and combustion are both exergonic processes, in which energy is released from the breaking of molecular bonds.
To crank out ATP from the breaking of glucose bonds, respiration occurs in three phases:

Glycolysis
The Citric Acid Cycle
Oxidative Phosphorylation

Quick Reply
Your Username: Click here to log in