2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

4th August 2014, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Want to join Merchant Navy after B.TECH

As you have completed your B.TECH in Computer Science and now you are looking for job in Merchant Navy,but let me tell you that engineering degree is considered as a normal degree here.

Candidates have to do a 3-years course for being eligible for the merchant navy jobs.

The course name is "nautical science" for the technical jobs in the same.

Otherwise Candidates can opt for the 3 months deck course for non technical deck jobs.
Following are the institute for the above training:
Training Ship Chanakya,Navi Mumbai
Lal bahadur Shastri of advanced maritime research,Mumbai
MERI,KOLKATA
MERI(marine engineering and research institute),Mumbai

Apart from doing a course for marine engineering or nautical science, Candidates can also join Merchant Navy through direct entry.

Candidates may join as engine cadet/ fifth engineer/ junior engineer and can get promotion later by writng a probationary exam arranged by the Directorate general of shipping.

Being a direct entry, Candidates will need to go for a pre-sea course for nine months.
17th August 2014, 08:12 AM
Unregistered

Want to join Merchant Navy after B.TECH

I have completed my B.TECH in Electrical and now I want to join Merchant Navy.Am I eligible for it or not?
17th August 2014, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

Re: Want to join Merchant Navy after B.TECH

As you have completed your B.TECH in Electrical stream and now you are seeking job in Merchant Navy,but let me tell you that your engineering degree is considered as a normal degree here.

You have to do a 3-years additional course for being eligible for the merchant navy jobs.
The course name is "nautical science" for the technical jobs in the same.
Otherwise you can opt for the three months deck course for non technical deck jobs.

Following are the institute for the above training:
MERI,KOLKATA
Training Ship Chanakya,Navi Mumbai
MERI(marine engineering and research institute),Mumbai
Lal bahadur Shastri of advanced maritime research,Mumbai

You can also join Merchant Navy through direct entry.
You can join as engine cadet/ fifth engineer/ junior engineer and get promotion later by writng a probationary exam arranged by Directorate general of shipping.

For direct entry, you will need to go for a pre-sea course which is for nine months.

Quick Reply
Your Username: Click here to log in