2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

26th May 2018, 09:37 AM
Unregistered

Re: Sri Venkateswara University Geology

Can you provide me the syllabus of B Sc. Semester-I Geology subject of Sri Venkateswara University as my exams are nearby and so I need it for preparation of the Examination?
26th May 2018, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

Re: Sri Venkateswara University Geology

The syllabus of B Sc. Semester-I Geology subject of Sri Venkateswara University is as follows:

SUBJECT: GEOLOGY
SEMESTER-I

Paper- I : Physical Geology &Crystallography

Unit I
General aspects Definition of geology - Basic assumptions of Geology - Its relationship with other sciences - Branches of geology - Aim and applications of geology Earth as a planet: its shape, size, and density - movement and then effects. Origin and age of the earth Geological process - exogenic and endogenic Definition of weathering - types of weathering of rocks - Physical and chemical; Definition of erosion and denudation, cycle of erosion; erosion, transportation and deposition; agents of erosion

Unit-II
Rivers: Erosion, transportation and deposition of river (fluvial) cycle in different stages - Development of typical land forms by river erosion and deposition. V or V-Shaped valley Ushaped valley Waterfall alluvial form, meander, ox-bow lake-flood plane, natural plane, peneplain and deltas Types of rivers Groundwater: Storage of ground water - porosity, permeability, aquifer, water table, zone of saturation, artesian well, spring, geysers - development of typical land form by erosion and deposition by groundwater [Karst toppography] sinkhole, cavern, Stalactities and stalagmites.
Glaciers: Definition of a glacier - types of glaciers - development of typical land forms by glacial erosion and deposition cirque, hanging valley, Rocks-monadnocks. Morains, drum-line, kames, eskors and varves Characteristic features of glaciated regions

Unit-III
Seas: offshore profile - land forms of sea - marine deposits and coral reefs. Lacustrine deposits Atmospheric circulation, weather and climatic changes, land air, sea interaction. Earth's heat budget and global climatic changes
Wind: Development of characteristic features by wind (arid cycle), erosion and deposition -pedestal rock - mushroom topography - Incelberg - Ventifacts -sand dunes.
Earthquakes: Cause, kinds of earthquake waves, and mode of propagation, intensity of earthquakes, Ritchers scale - seismograph and seismogram. Effects of earthquakes, earthquake zones - Interior of the earth based on seismic theory - Volcanoes: origin, products of Volcanoes.
Continental Drift & Plate tectonics: Theory of Plate tectonics nature and origin of ocean floor.

Unit-IV
Definition of a crystal - amorphous and crystalline states Morphology of Crystals - face, edge, solid angle, interfacial angle. Forms: Simple, combination, closed and open forms.
Symmetry: Plane, axis, center. Crystallographic axes. Parameters, indices; crystallographic notation - parameter system of Weiss, index system of Miller

Unit-V
Classification of crystals into systems
Morphological study of the following classes of symmetry
I. Cubic system Galena type
II. Tetragonal system - Zircon type
III. Hexagonal system - Beryl type
IV. Trigonal system - Calcite type.
V. Orthorhombic system - Barites type
VI. Monoclinic system - Gypsum type -
VII. Triclinic system - Axinite type
Twinning: Definition of twinning, Laws of twinning and Types of twinning

Text books:
1. Holmes Principles of Physical Geology - D.L. Holmes
2. Physical Geology - A.N. Stracher
3. A book of Physical Geology - A K Datta
4. An Introduction to Crystallography - R.C. Phillips
5. Essential of Crystallography - E. Flint.

References:
1. Basic Physical Geology - E.S. Robinsion
2. The evolving Earth: A text in Physical Geology - E.S. Sawkins. et al.
3. Physical Geology - B.F. Mallory and D.N. Gargo
4. A textbook of mineralogy - E.S. Dana and W.E. Ford

Practical-I- Physical Geology & Crystallography
Interpretation of morphmetric data/drainage systems, Identification of geomorphological features in topographical maps
Study of symmetry, and form of the Normal classes of seven crystal systems of the following:
I. Cubic system Normal (Galena)
II. Tetragonal system Zircon type
III. Hexagonal system Beryl type
IV. Trigonal system Calcite type
V. Orthorhombic system Barites type
VI. Monoclinic system Gypsum type
VII. Triclinic system Axinite type

Quick Reply
Your Username: Click here to log in