2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

15th November 2016, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

Re: Indian Navy Project P75I

In October 2008, the Indian Navy issued a Request for Information (RFI) to a number of foreign shipyards and design firms for construction of a class of advanced diesel-electric submarines.

The RFIs were sent to Rosoboronexport, Armaris and HDW, among others. Later it was decided to construct all six submarines in Indian shipyards in accordance with the Make in India initiative of the government.

Class Overview

Name: Project 75I-class (code name)
Operators: Indian Navy
Preceded by: Kalvari-class submarine
Cost: $8 billion
Planned: 6

General Characteristics
Type: Attack submarine
Propulsion: Diesel-electric and AIP
Armament: torpedo tube and VLS cells

The Project 75I-class submarine is follow-on of the Project 75 Kalvari-class submarine for the Indian navy.

Under it, the Indian Navy intends to acquire 6 diesel-electric submarines, which will also feature advanced Air Independent Propulsion (AIP) systems to enable them to stay submerged for longer duration and substantially increase their operational range.

In October 2014, the project got clearance from Defence Acquisition Council. All six submarines are expected to be constructed in Indian shipyards.

The Project 75I-class submarines will have a vertical launch system (VLS) to enable them to carry multiple Brahmos supersonic cruise missiles, making the submarines fully capable of anti-surface and anti-ship warfare missions.

Project 75i submarines will also be armed with torpedoes and feature advanced stealth capabilities such as a greater ability to suppress noise and acoustic signatures.

Submarines will also be outfitted with Air-independent propulsion (AIP) fuel cells which can significantly increase submerged endurance and operational range

After years of delays, in October 2014, Project 75l was cleared by the Defence Acquisition Council. ₹53,000 crore (US$8 billion) was allocated for the acquisition of 6 advanced attack submarines.

During the bidding process, a high-level committee was set up by the Ministry of Defence (MoD) to inspect and assess the capabilities of different local shipyards to undertake the building of six submarines.

The committee short listed 5 shipyards which include Hindustan Shipyard, Mazagon Dock, Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers (GRSE), Larsen & Toubro and Pipavav Shipyard.

These shipyards are expected to be submitting their bids in partnership with an international shipyard and the Indian navy will choose a design and shipyard which meets its specifications.

Quick Reply
Your Username: Click here to log in