2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

6th January 2016, 06:25 PM
Super Moderator

Re: IIM Lucknow GD PI Experience

As per your demand here I am providing you information about that questions for GD PI at IIM Lucknow.
Here I am telling you about it as you want.

IIM Lucknow
IIM Lucknow GD PI Experience
Date: 26-02-2012
Venue: BangaloreProfile: Btech(IT), 16 months work-ex(Infosys)WAT-GD Topic: I would rather go with a woman’s intuition than a man’s reason

Q: about my work-ex.
me: told about my work-ex in coud computing and how it can benefit various companies.

Q: how ELO rating in chess is given and how it changes(Mentioned chess in my hobbies)
me: told

Q: in what way chess is similar to management and economics?
Me: told stuffs like better planning, pro-activeness, anticipating your opponents moves and planning according to that.

Q: was asked name of the specific term that connects chess and economics.
me: Told i can’t recollect(Answer may be game theory…but it is something related whatever i have told in previous answer)

Q:Then they started grilling me on my acads…
me: told whatever i remembered

Q:asked me laws of E-Commerce
me: Sorry Sir, I don’t know

Q: how E-Commerce is possible in grocery.
Me: told… some counter questions but answered(don’t know how convinced they were)

Q: who is your favourite business leader.
me: Ratan Tata… some grilling on this like why not Birla or Narayanmurthy….

sir 1: So, Sailesh, walk me through your background.
Me: Described my life from school to graduation, and work-ex in a couple of minutes.

sir 1: Why did you take three years for your masters? Isn’t it too long?
Me: I was also doing research work with a professor there, and such students typically finish in two and half to three years.

sir 1: Okay, so why do you want to do an MBA now?
Me: Explained why, based on my work-ex and the future path I want to take.

sir 1: Okay, so you want to specialize in…?
Me: Finance, and again described why finance.

sir 1: What are your hobbies?
Me: Listening to Carnatic classical music.

sir 1: Why is it called Carnatic music?
Me: The name Carnatic itself is external, as in southern India, it does not have a specific name. It was given by the Marathas, whose first experience of this form of music was through the musicians in Bijapur from the Karnataka area, and they referred to this as Karnatak music. The British further anglicised it to Carnatic music. (Actually there is another explanation which I didn’t give – the name “Karnataka sangeetam” means ancient music.)

sir 1: Ok, so are there any similarities with Hindustani music?
Me: Yes, there has always been a lot of exchange between the two forms. Hindustani music itself branched out from Carnatic music due to Persian influence in the 12/13 hundreds. Even today, ragas from Hindustani music are used in Carnatic music and vice-versa. For example, Sindhu Bhairavi in Carnatic has been influenced by Bhairavi in Hindustani, and Darbari Kanada has been influenced by the raga of the same name in Hindustani.

sir 1: (Looks satisfied and motions for sir 2 to continue the questioning).
sir 2: Do you know about the Satyam scam?
Me: Yes.

sir 2: What can we do to prevent such things from happening?
Me: from what I understand, it was an auditing scam, and hence, it should ideally have been caught by the external auditors – Delloitte (actually it was PWC). Hence, they should be held accountable as well. Also, we can look at increased reporting by companies which can be reviewed by the Government to ensure that there is transparency (should have really come up with a better point).

sir 2: What is CSR?
Me: Do you mean Corporate Social Responsibility?

sir 2: Yes. Do you agree with this idea?
Me: Yes. The idea is that a company has succeeded due to the society it is in, and CSR is a way for the company to repay the society for supporting it and helping it thrive. It is something akin to giving back to the community. So yes, it is a way of generating goodwill for the company.

sir 2: Satyam had a very big CSR department, and have also won many awards for it. How could such a company have been involved in so big a scam (or something along those lines)?
Me: Like I said, CSR is a way of generating goodwill, and is a means of creating a good image. This doesn’t automatically mean that everything the company does is equally good. We shouldn’t treat any company as fair simply based on their CSR activities.

sir 2: That is true.
Me: Further, it is also probably true that a company with such a big scam cannot be completely clean in all other aspects. If we look at the details of each company, there may be indicators of something going wrong in other smaller ways. For example, trying to illegally influence policy, or something similar. If we identify such companies and pay closer scrunity to their activities, we can stand a better chance of catching onto scams like Satyam.

sir 2: Okay. The finance minister is worried about the subsidy bill. Suppose you are the finance minister, how will you reduce the bill?
Me: Two ways – one is to reduce the amount of subsidies, the other is to increase revenues. Talking about the first part, there are many subsidies which shouldn’t exist in the first place. Ignoring those applicable to the poor who otherwise cannot bear the fluctuations of the economy, we can look at removing subsidies given the middle class. Petroleum subsidy for example.

sir 2: Do we have subsidies in petroleum?
Me: There is a price mandated by the government, currently at around 70 rupees per litre. Whether oil companies get reimbursed for their costs, or are forced to be at that price, the price fix amounts to a subsidy.

sir 2: Okay, so what other areas can we target?
Me: Subsidies given to industries. Maybe a case can be made for subsidies given to micro scale industries. But small and medium scale industries are also currently given subsidies, which is equivalent to the government trying to direct the economy, which is not its role and it shouldn’t be doing that.

sir 2: Which industries have subsidies?
Me: Textiles for example. There is a Technology Up gradation Fund Scheme that provides interest and capital subsidy on machinery.

sir 2: So textiles industry has subsidies available to it?
Me: Yes, like I said, TUFS. It expired last year, but was reintroduced recently.

sir 2: (As I mentioned this, he was shaking his head as if to imply that I was wrong. I found it strange, since such a scheme did exist at the time of the interview)

sir 1: (Cutting me off) Thank you, Sailesh.
Me: Thank you, sir.

sir 2: Please take a toffee!
Me: Thank you again.

Address:

Indian Institute of Management Lucknow  
Business School
Prabandh Nagar, IIM Road, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh 226013
Phone: 0522 273 4101

Quick Reply
Your Username: Click here to log in