2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

5th May 2015, 10:50 AM
Unregistered

Chiari 2 Malformation

My brother is searching about the Chiari Malformation Fact Sheet of the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke so will you please tell me from where I can download the Chiari Malformation Fact Sheet of the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke? Give me the information as soon as possible? what is the motto of Chiari Malformation Type II?
23rd May 2018, 02:35 PM
Unregistered

Re: Chiari 2 malformation

I am doing MBBS degree and medical science student came to know about the Chiari 2 Malformation searching for details related to this. Can you provide basic details about Chiari 2 Malformation along with Epidemiology and Terminology of Chiari 2 Malformation ?
23rd May 2018, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Chiari 2 malformation

Chiari II malformation, also known as Arnold-Chiari malformation, is a relatively common congenital malformation of the spine and posterior fossa characterised by myelomeningocoele (lumbosacral spina bifida aperta) and a small posterior fossa with a descent of the brainstem and cerebellar tonsils. Numerous associated abnormalities are also frequently encountered.

Terminology

The Chiari II malformation is often thought of a more severe form of the commoner Chairi I malformation.

However, it is now understood that these entities are the end points of distinct disease processes with some overlapping imaging findings. Chiari III and IV are discussed in their respective articles.

Epidemiology

Chiari II malformations are encountered relatively commonly with an incidence of 1:1000 live births 7.

When a child is born with a myelomeningocoele the vast majority (~95%) have an associated Chiari II malformation.

The presentation can be divided according to the age of the individual (although most will have life long sequelae) as follows:

neonatal
myelomeningocoele
brainstem dysfunction resulting in cranial nerve palsies
neurogenic bladder
child
musculoskeletal
hydrocephalus
young adult
syrinx and scoliosis

Treatment and prognosis

Treatment of patients with Chiari II malformation is complex due to the variable form and severity of malformations:

myelomeningocoele repair and management of neurogenic bladder
is being performed on the in utero fetus at some centres in select cases to improve outcomes 9
ventricular shunting (usually ventriculoperitoneal)
hydrocephalus usually requires shunting and can help ameliorate cranial nerve and brainstem dysfunction

Quick Reply
Your Username: Click here to log in