2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

13th November 2015, 08:54 AM
Unregistered

IAS As A Career

I have completed my PG degree and want to become an IAS officer want to know details of IAS as a career opportunity. Will you provide me all the details related to IAS exam and also tell me what the schedule of after becoming an IAS office provide me details?
Similar Threads
Thread
Career in NGO after B.Com
Career in IAF
MBA career
Career Options After Career After B. Tech Civil Engineering
Does MBA help your Career
How MBA Can Help In My Career
MDU Career With Us
Career after CAT?
TQM Career
Career after B.Com
Career after BSc IT
After having 60% throughout career Can I get Job in TCS
HAL Career
What Career after MCA
Career FCC
Career after LLB
PWC MBA Career
Career After MBA PPT
Career MTV
FDA Career
13th November 2015, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator

Re: IAS As A Career

AS involves delivering good governance to society, with the administrators co-ordinating departmental works to ensure holistic development of the state/region they are serving.

Eligibility:

To become an IAS officer, one has to appear for the Indian Civil Service Examinations. The primary requirement for this is that the aspirant should be holding a bachelor’s degree (any field).

Age Limit:

The second criterion is that you should be in the age group of twenty one to thirty years.

About IAS exam:

The exam is divided into two parts A preliminary exam and A main exam followed by an interview.
The preliminary exam popularly called as the Civil services Aptitude Test ( CSAT) has got 2 papers. Paper 1 is of 200 marks and it has got 100 questions from History, political science, geography, science, economics, and a lot of other topics.
Paper 2 is also of 200 marks and it comprises of 80 questions of reasoning, quantitative aptitude and problem solving.

Some of these well-known coaching institutes in Delhi are:

Vajiram & Ravi Institute for Civil Services Examination, New Delhi
Cosmos IAS Academy, New Delhi
Study Circle Virat Bhawan, New Delhi
Rau’s IAS Study Circle, New Delhi
Brilliant Tutorials Pvt. Ltd

Career prospectus:

IAS is a hierarchical service. All those who clear the civil services exam, go through a 2 year probation period; most of which is spent in training.

After this, you can be posted to the state secretariat or as field officers or at the district magistrate's office.

Your duties are regulatory in nature like law and order, enforcement of rules and general administration, etc.

IAS is probably the only service that offers assured career progression in state and central government ministries and departments.

Sample an average working day of an IAS officer:

9am: Check mail
10am: Reach office
11am: Meeting with minister on important issues
12pm: Chair another meeting
1.30pm: Lunch
2.30pm: Continue with the file work
3.30pm: Attend meeting chaired by senior officer
4.30pm: Answer mail/letters
5.30pm: File work continues
7pm: Call it a day, unless anything urgent comes up

Quick Reply