2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

4th September 2015, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator

Re: Thiruvalluvar University BCA syllabus

As you want to get the syllabus of Bachelor of Computer Applications of Thiruvalluvar University so here is the information of the same for you:

PAPER I
DIGITAL LOGIC AND DESIGN:
Unit-I: Binary Systems :
Digital Computers and Digital Systems - Binary Numbers - Number Base Conversion - Octal and Hexadecimal Numbers - Compliments - Binary Codes - Binary Storage and Registers - Binary Logic - Integrated Circuits.

Unit-II: Boolean Algebra and Logic Gates :
Basic Definitions of Boolean Algebra - Axiomatic Definition of Boolean Algebra - Basic Theorems and Properties of Boolean Algebra - Boolean Functions - Canonical and Standard Forms - Other Logic Operations - Digital Logic Gates.

Unit-III: Simplification of Boolean Functions
The Map Method - Two and Three Variable Maps - Four Variable Map – Five and Six Variable Maps - Product of Sums Simplifications - NAND and NOR Implementation - Other Two Level Implementations - Don't Care Conditions .

Unit-IV: Combinational Logic
Introduction - Adders - Subtractors - Code Conversion - Binary Adder - Edcoder - Decoders - multiple and demultiplexture

UNIT-V: Sequential circuits:
Flip Flops - Registers - Shift registers-Ripple counters- Synchronous Counters - Timing Sequences - The Memory Unit

Text Book
1. M. Morris Mano, "Digital Logic and Computer Design", PHI, 1996

Reference Books
1. Louis Neshelsky, "INTRODUCTION TO DIGITAL TECHNOLOGY", John Wiley & Sons, Third Edition, 1983.
2. Digital Logic Design - Ployd.

PAPER I
MATHEMATICAL FOUNDATIONS I:
UNIT-I : SYMBOLIC LOGIC
Proposition, Logical operators, conjunction, disjunction, negation, conditional and bi-conditional operators, converse, Inverse, Contra Positive, logically equivalent, tautology and contradiction. Arguments and validity of arguments.

UNIT-II : SET THEORY
Sets, set operations, venndiagram, Properties of sets, number of elements in a set, Cartesian product, relations & functions,

Relations:
Equivalence relation. Equivalence class, Partially and Totally Ordered sets,

Functions:
Types of Functions, Composition of Functions

UNIT-III : BINARY OPERATIONS
Types of Binary Operations: Commutative, Associative, Distributive and identity, Boolean algebra: simple properties. Permutations and Combinations.

UNIT-IV : DIFFERENTIATION
Simple problems using standard limits, Differentiation, successive differentiation, Leibnitz theorem, partial differentiation, Applications of differentiation, Tangent and normal, angle between two curves, Maximum and Minimum values (Second derivative test), Curvature and radius of Curvature (Cartesian coordinates), Envelopes.

UNIT-V : TWO DIMENSIONAL ANALYTICAL GEOMETRY
Straight Lines - Pair Straight Lines – Circles.

Reference Books
1. P.R.Vittal, Mathematical Foundations - Margham Publication, Chennai.
2. U. Rizwan, Mathematical Foundation - SciTech, Chennai
3. V.Sundaram & Others, Dircrete Mathematical Foundation - A.P.Publication, sirkali.
4. P.Duraipandian & Others, Analytical Geometry 2 Dimension – Emerald publication 1992 Reprint.
5. Manicavachagom pillay & Natarajan. Analytical Geometry part I – Two Dimension - S.Viswanathan (printers & publication) Put Ltd., 1991.

ENVIRONMENTAL STUDIES:
UNIT-I: INTRODUCTION TO ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCES: NATURAL RESOURCES:
Environmental Sciences - Relevance - Significance - Public awareness – Forest resources - Water resources - Mineral resources - Food resources – conflicts over resource sharing - Exploitation - Land use pattern - Environmental impact - fertilizer - Pesticide Problems - case studies.

UNIT-II: ECOSYSTEM, BIODIVERSITY AND ITS CONSERVATION:
Ecosystem - concept - structure and function - producers, consumers and decomposers - Food chain - Food web - Ecological pyramids - Energy flow - Forest, Grassland, desert and aquatic ecosystem.

Biodiversity - Definition - genetic, species and ecosystem diversity - Values and uses of biodiversity - biodiversity at global, national (India) and local levels - Hotspots, threats to biodiversity - conservation of biodiversity - Insitu & Exsitu.

UNIT-III: ENVIRONMENTAL POLLUTION AND MANAGEMENT
Environmental Pollution - Causes - Effects and control measures of Air, Water, Marine, soil, solid waste, Thermal, Nuclear pollution and Disaster Management - Floods, Earth quake, Cyclone and Land slides. Role of individuals in prevention of pollution - pollution case studies.

UNIT-IV: SOCIAL ISSUES - HUMAN POPULATION
Urban issues - Energy - water conservation - Environmental Ethics – Global warming - Resettlement and Rehabilitation issues - Environmental legislations - Environmental production Act. 1986 - Air, Water, Wildlife and forest conservation Act - Population growth and Explosion - Human rights and Value Education - Environmental Health - HIV/AIDS - Role of IT in Environment and Human Health - Women and child welfare - Public awareness – Case studies.

UNIT-V: FIELD WORK
Visit to a local area / local polluted site / local simple ecosystem – Report submission

REFERENCES
1. KUMARASAMY, K., A.ALAGAPPA MOSES AND M.VASANTHY, 2004. ENVIRONMENTAL STUDIES, BHARATHIDSAN UNIVERSITY PUB, 1,
TRICHY
2. RAJAMANNAR, 2004, ENVIRONEMNTAL STUDIES, EVR COLLEGE PUB, TRICHY
3. KALAVATHY,S. (ED.) 2004, ENVIRONMENTAL STUDIES, BISHOP HEBER COLLEGE PUB., TRICHY

PAPER II
PROGRAMMING IN C:
UNIT-I
C fundamentals Character set - Identifier and keywords - data types – constants - Variables - Declarations - Expressions - Statements - Arithmetic, Unary, Relational and logical , Assignment and Conditional Operators – Library functions.

UNIT-II
Data input and output functions - Simple C programs - Flow of control - if, ifelse, while, do-while, for loop, Nested control structures - Switch, break and continue, go to statements - Comma operator.

UNIT-III
Functions -Definition - prototypes - Passing arguments – Recursion- Storage Classes - Automatic, External, Static, Register Variables .

UNIT-IV
Arrays - Defining and Processing - Passing arrays to functions – Multidimension arrays - Arrays and Strings. Structures and unions - User defined data types - Passing structures to functions - Self-referential structures - Unions - Bit wise operations.

UNIT-V
Pointers - Declarations - Passing pointers to Functions - Operation on Pointers - Pointer and Arrays - Arrays of Pointers - Structures and Pointers - Files: Creating, Processing ,Opening and Closing a data file.

Text Book
Ashok N. Kamthane, Programming with ANSI and Turbo C, Pearson Education,2006

Reference Books
1. B.W. Kernighan and D.M.Ritehie, The C Programming Language, 2nd Edition, PHI, 1988.
2. H. Schildt, C: The Complete Reference, 4th Edition, TMH Edition, 2000.
3. Kanetkar Y., Let us C, BPB Pub., New Delhi, 1999.

CORE PRACTICAL I:
A. PC SOFTWARE (MS Word, Excel And Power Point )
MS-WORD
1. Text Manipulations
2. Usage of Numbering, Bullets, Tools and Headers
3. Usage of Spell Check and Find and Replace
4. Text Formatting
5. Picture Insertion and Alignment
6. Creation of Documents Using Templates`
7. Creation of Templates
8. Mail Merge Concept
9. Copying Text and Picture From Excel
10. Creation of Tables, Formatting Tables
11. Splitting the Screen
12. Opening Multiple Document, Inserting Symbols in Documents

MS-EXCEL
1. Creation of Worksheet and Entering Information
2. Aligning, Editing Data in Cell
3. Excel Function (Date , Time, Statistical, Mathematical, Financial Functions)
4. Changing of Column Width and Row Height (Column and Range of Column)
5. Moving, copying, Inserting and Deleting Rows and Columns
6. Formatting Numbers and Other Numeric Formats
7. Drawing Borders Around Cells
8. Creation of Charts Raising Moving
9. Changing Chart Type
10. Controlling the Appearance of a Chart

MS -POWER POINT
Working With Slides
1. Creating, saving, closing presentation
2. Adding Headers and footers
3. Changing slide layout
4. Working fonts and bullets
5. Inserting Clip art
5.1 working with clipart
5.2 Applying Transition and animation effects
6. Run and Slide Show

B. PROGRAMMING IN C
I Summation of Series
1. Sin(x)
2. Cos(x)
3. Exp(x) (Comparison with built in functions)

II String Manipulation
1. Counting the no. of vowels, consonants, words, white spaces in a line of text and array of lines
2. Substring detection, count and removal
3. Finding and replacing substrings

III Recursion
1. GCD of two numbers
2. Maximum and Minimum

IV Matrix Manipulation
1. Addition, Subtraction and Multiplication
2. Determinant of a Matrix

V Sorting and Searching
1. Bubble Sort
2. Binary Search

VI File Manipulation
1. File Copying
2. Files using Command line arguments.

PAPER II
MATHEMATICAL FOUNDATIONS II:
UNIT-I : MATRICES
Multiplication of matrices, Singular and Non-Singular matrices, Adjoint of a Matrix, Inverse of a matrix Symmetric and Skew-Symmetric, Hermitian and Skew-Hermition, Orthogonal and unitary matrices, Rank of a matrix, Solution of Simultaneous Linear equations by
(i) Cramer’s rule.
(ii) Matrix Inversion Method.

UNIT-II: MATRICES
Test for Consistency and Inconsistency of linear equations, (Rank Method), characteristic roots and characteristic vectors, Cayley - Hamilton theorem, matrix of linear transformations: reflection about the x, y axes and the line y=x, rotation about the origin through an angle, expansion or compression, shears, translation.

UNIT-III
Integration Simple problems, integration of rational function involving algebraic expressions of the form integrations using simple substitutions integrations involving trigonometric functions of the form

UNIT-IV
Properties of definite integrals. Reduction formulae for Xne axdx, sinn xdx, cosn xdx , x m (1-x ) n dx, applications of integration for
(i) Area under plane caurves,
(ii) Volume of solid of revolution.

UNIT-V: ANALYTICAL GEOMETRY OF THREE DIMENSION
Planes, straight lines, spheres.

Reference Books
1. P.R.Vittal, Mathematical Foundations - Margham Publication, Chennai.
2. U. Rizwan, Mathematical Foundation - SciTech, Chennai
3. V.Sundaram & Others, Dircrete Mathematical Foundation -
A.P.Publication, sirkali.
4. P.Duraipandian & Others, Analytical Geometry 3 Dimension – Emerald
publication 1992 Reprint.

For more detailed information I am uploading a PDF file which is free to download:

Thiruvalluvar University BCA syllabus

Contact Details:
Thiruvalluvar University
Serkkadu
Vellore,
Tamil Nadu 632115
India

Map Location:

[MAP]Thiruvalluvar University[/MAP]
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Thiruvalluvar University BCA syllabus.pdf (512.8 KB, 1301 views)

Quick Reply
Your Username: Click here to log in