2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

29th April 2015, 08:56 AM
Unregistered

Sugarbeet tnau

I am studying in Tamil Nadu Agricultural University as a second Year medical student and I have been asked to make a project on the SUGARBEET. As I really don’t know about this stuff kindly provide me with the complete details regarding this to complete my project.
Similar Threads
Thread
Training At TNAU
Tnau ssl
Tnau ait
Tnau dee
Tnau dmi
Ssl tnau
Tnau eee
New VC of TNAU
TNAU Notes PDF
Tnau odl mba
Hrs tnau
Ifs tnau
MBA in TNAU
Tnau mba
Tnau pro
Tnau pdf
Tnau cbe
ABM In TNAU
Tnau aws
Nss tnau
13th April 2018, 07:55 PM
Unregistered

Re: Sugarbeet tnau

I want to know the duration and the seasons of Tropical sugarbeet of Tamil Nadu Agricultural University TNAU so can you tell me?
13th April 2018, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Sugarbeet tnau

Tropical sugarbeet (Beta vulgaris spp. Vulgaris var altissima Doll) is a biennial sugar producing tuber crop, grown in temperate countries. This crop constitutes 30% of total world production and distributed in 45 countries.

Now tropical sugarbeet hybrids are gaining momentum in tropical and sub tropical countries including Tamil Nadu as a promising energy crop and alternative raw materials for the production of ethanol

Tropical Sugarbeet

Tropical sugarbeet now emerged as commercial field crop because of the favourable characters like

(i) tropical sugarbeet hybrids suitable for Tamil Nadu

(ii) Shorter duration of 5 to 6 months

(iii) needs moderate water requirement of 60-80 cm.

(iv) higher sugar content of 12 15%

(v) improve soil conditions because of tuber crop and

(vi) grow well in saline and alkali soil.

The harvesting period of sugarbeet coincides with March June, the human resource of sugar factory in the off season may efficiently utilized for processing of sugarbeet in the sugar mills, which helps in continuous functioning of sugar mills.

Hybrids and duration

The tropical sugarbeet hybrids suitable for cultivation in Tamil Nadu are Cauvery, Indus and Shubhra.

The duration of these tropical hybrids will be 5 to 6 months depending on climatic conditions prevailing during crop growth period.

Season

Tropical sugarbeet is sown in September to November and harvested during March and May.

Climate and season

Tropical sugarbeet require good sunshine during its growth period.

The crop does not prefer high rainfall as high soil moisture or continuous heavy rain may affect development of tuber and sugar synthesis.

Tropical sugarbeet can be sown in September November coincide with North East monsoon with a rainfall of 300 350 mm well distributed across the growing period which favours vegetative growth and base for root enlargement.

The optimum temperature for germination is 20 250C, for growth and development 30 - 350C and for sugar accumulation in 25 350C.

Contact-

Tamil Nadu Agricultural University
TNAU - RI Block, Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, PN Pudur, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu 641003

Quick Reply
Your Username: Click here to log in