2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

2nd January 2016, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator
Join Date: May 2012
Re: Selling a car in California

The California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) has several rules and regulations you must follow when selling your car.

Required Documents

Once you’ve found a buyer, it’s time to get all the required documentation together.

The CA DMV requires that you provide:

Release of your ownership of the car by signing the designating line on the title certificate

Lien holders must also sign the title, if applicable

A valid smog certificate, if applicable

You do not need a certificate if you renewed your registration in the last 90 days (before the official transfer) and you submitted a smog certificate at that time.

You will need to sign a document stating this.

If your vehicle is 4 years old or less, you are not required to provide a smog certificate to the buyer.

The odometer reading, if the car is less than 10 years old.

This can be recorded either on the certificate of title or on a completed Vehicle/Vessel Transfer and Reassignment (Form REG 262) (available from a California DMV office).

Duplicate Registration in California

Although the buyer can technically just apply for his or her own vehicle registration card, it's recommended that you have your own official card before attempting to sell your car in California.

To obtain a duplicate, submit a completed Application for Replacement Plates, Stickers, Documents (Form REG 156) to the CA DMV.

You will need to supply the following information:

License plate number

Full legal name

Current address

Driver's license number


Quick Reply
Your Username: Click here to log in


Thread Tools Search this Thread

All times are GMT +5. The time now is 08:39 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2

1 2 3 4