2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

17th July 2015, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator

Re: Safety and Fire Engineering CUSAT Syllabus

Hello friend as you are looking for the B tech Syllabus of Safety And Fire Engineering of Cochin University of Science and Technology so here I am providing you the same……

SEMESTER I&II
Code No. Subject
CE/CS/EB/EC/EE/ Engineering Mathematics –I
EI/IT/ME/SE 101
CE/CS/EB/EC/EE/ Engineering Physics
EI/IT/ME/SE 102
CE/CS/EB/EC/EE/ Engineering Chemistry
EI/IT/ME/SE 103
CE/CS/EB/EC/EE/ Engineering Mechanics
EI/IT/ME/SE 104
CE/CS/EB/EC/EE/ Engineering Graphics
EI/IT/ME/SE 105
CE/CS/EB/EC/EE/ Basic Civil and Mechanical
EI/IT/ME/SE 106 Engineering
CE/CS/EB/EC/EE/ Basic Electrical Engineering
EI/IT/ME/SE 107 and Electronics
CE/CS/EB/EC/EE/ Computer Programming
EI/IT/ME/SE 108
CE/CS/EB/EC/EE/ Technical Communication and
EI/IT/ME/SE 109 Social Sciences
CE/CS/EB/EC/EE/ Computer Programming
EI/IT/ME/SE 110 Laboratory
CE/CS/EB/EC/EE/ Electrical and Mechanical
EI IT ME SE 111 Worksho
Safety And Fire Engineering CUSAT Syllabus
MODULE I
Ordinary differential equations:
First order differential equations-Methods of solution and Simple applicationsLinear
differential equations of higher orders with constant co-efficients-Methods of solution of
these equations. Cauchy’s Linear differential equations. Simultaneous linear differential
equations- Simple applications of linear differential equations in engineering problems -
Electrical Circuits, Mechanical Systems
MODULE II
Infinite series: Integral test, comparison test, ratio test, Cauchy’s root test, Raabe’s test,
series of positive and negative terms, concept of absolute convergence, alternating series,
Leibniz test(No proofs for any of the above tests) Power series: Internal of convergence of
power series, Taylor and Maclaurin series of functions.
Leibniz formula for the nth derivative of the product of two functions (No proof),use of
Leibniz formula for the determination of co-efficients of the power series.
MODULE III
Partial differentiation: Partial differentiation-Concept of partial derivative - Chain rule- Total
derivative- Euler’s theorem for homogeneous functions, Differentials and their applications in
errors and approximations, Jacobians - Maxima minima bf functions of two variables(Proof
of the result not required)-Simple applications.
Taylors series expansion for a function on two variables-Simple problems
Co-ordinate systems:Rectangular co-ordinates-Polar co-ordinates-In plane and in
SpaceCylindrical polar co-ordinates-Spherical polar co-ordinates.
MODULE IV
Integral calculus:
Application of definite integrals: Area, Volume, Arc length, Surface area.
Improper Integrals-Beta function-Gamma function Multiple integrals: Evaluation of double
integrals-Change of order of integration. Evaluation of triple integrals-Change of Variables in
integrals.
Applications of multiple integrals Plane Area, Surface area &Volumes of solids
References
1.Mathematical Techniques: Oxford University Press
2.Engineering Mathematics: T.Veerarajan, TMGH Publishers
3.Higher Engineering Mathematics: B.S.Grewal, Khanna Publishers
4.Engineering mathematics -Vol1:S.S.Sastry, PHI publishers Advanced Engineering
Mathematics: Erwin Kreyzig, Wiley Eastern
Type of Questions for University Exam.
CE/CS/EB/EC/EE/EI/ME/IT/SE 102: ENGINEERING PHYSICS
Module I:
Interference of light - Michelson interferometer - Applications-Interference in thin films
Antireflection coatings - Interference filters - Fringes produced by air wedge - Testing of flat
surfaces- Diffraction of light -Zone plate - Plane diffraction grating - Reflection and
transmission gratings - Determination of wavelength of light - Dispersive and resolving
powers - Polarization of light - Double refraction - Nicol’s prism - Quarter and half wave
plates - Elliptically and circularly polarized light - Optical activity - Specific rotation - Half-
shade polarimeter Applications of polarized light.
Module II:
Lasers and Holography - Properties of laser light - Coherence of light - Principles of laser
action - Population inversion - Optical pumping - Metastable states - Conditions for laser
action Types of lasers - Helium-Neon, Ruby and Semiconductor lasers - Applications of
lasers Principles of holography - Recording and Reconstruction of holograms - Applications
of holography- Fiber optics - Light transmission through optical fiber - Numerical aperture -
Multi and single mode fibers - Step index and graded index fibers - Fiber drawing - Fiber
optic communication (basic ideas) - Ultrasonics - Generation of ultrasonic waves -
Applications of Ultrasound.
Module III:
Quantum mechanics - Heisenberg’s uncertainty principle - Experimental illustrations -
Quantum mechanical wave equation - Time independent Schrodinger equation - Physical
significance of wave function - Properties of the wave function - Solution of Schrodinger
equation - Atomic and nuclear physics - The Vector atom model- Quantization of orbital
angular momentum - Electron spin - Magnetic moment of orbital electron - Pauli’s exclusion
principle- Zeeman effect - Stark effect - Raman effect. Nuclear physics - Nuclear forces -
Properties of the nucleus - Nuclear reactions-Nuclear reaction cross section-Artificial
radioactivity - Nuclear reactors - Nuclear fusion - Thermonuclear reactions-Controlled
thermonuclear reactions.
Module IV :
X-rays - Production of X-rays - Origin of X-rays and X-ray spectra - Moseley’s law -
Properties of X-rays - Applications of X-rays - Diffraction of X-rays by crystals - Bragg’s law
Crystallography - Unit cell - Seven crystal systems - Bravais space lattices - Packing factor
Lattice planes and Miller indices - Energy bands in solids - Conductors, semiconductors and
insulators - Intrinsic and extrinsic semiconductors - Conductivity of semiconductors - Fermi
level - Applications of semiconductors - p-n junctions - solar cells - Hall effect and its
applications - Superconductivity - Superconducting transition - The Meissner effect - Type I
and Type n superconductors - Isotope effect - High temperature superconductors - Josephson
effect - SQUIDS - Applications of superconductors
References
J. Jacob Philip - A text book of Engineering Physics, Educational Publishers and Distributors
2. A.S. Vasudeva - Modern Engineering Physics, S. Chand & Co.
3. M.R. Sreenivasan - Physics for Engineers - New Age International
CE/CS/EB/EC/EE/EI/ME/IT/SE 103 ENGINEERING CHEMISTRY
Module I
Solid state chemistry: Fundamentals, Bonding in solids, Born-Haber cycle, Point defects,
Methods to improve reactivity of solids, Free electron theory, Band theory, Fermi level in
semiconductors, Molecular field theory of magnetic materials, Conventional and organic
superconductors, High temperature superconductors, Liquid crystals, Applications. Solid
surface characterisation: Electron spectrpscopy for chemical analysis, Chemical shift, BET
isotherm, Thermodynamics of adsorption.
Module II
Electrochemistry: Fundamentals, Electrode potentials, Types of electrodes, Salt bridge, emf
measurement. Concentration celJs, Acids and bases, Buffer solutions, pH measurements,
Polarisation, Overvoltage. Power generation: Secondary cells, Fuel cells, Photovoltaic effect,
Solar cells. Corrosion: Different forms of corrosion, Prevention of corrosion.
Chemical Kinetics: reaction rate, rate con!;itant, rate law, reaction order, first order, second
order, pseudo-first order reactions, integrated rate laws, half-life of a reaction and its relation
to rate constant. Molecularity, simple unimolecular and bimolecular reactions. Arrhenius
equation.
Fast reactions - flash photolysis, flow techniques and relaxation methods.
Module III Chemical Thermodynamics: Fundamentals, Molecular interpretation of internal
energy, enthalpy and entropy, Heat of reaction, Kirchhof.s equation, Trouton.s rule, Entropy
changes accompanying different processes, Nernst heat theorem, Third-law. Free energy:
Dependence on pressure and temperature, Gibbs-Helmholtz equation, Free energy changes
and equilibrium constant, Chemical potential, Fugacity, Thermodynamics of biochemical
reactions.
Module IV Engineering materials: Industrial polymers-polymerization techniques, structure-
property relationships, polymer additives, polymer processing methods (extrusion, injection,
compression, transfer and blow molding methods). Nanomaterials: definition, classification
and applications.
Nanometals and nanoceramics - examples and properties.
Lubricants: classification, functions and properties. Mechanism of lubrication.
Refractories: classification and properties. Portland cement, lime and plaster of Paris
manufacture, setting and hardening.
Chemistry of optical fibres, fullerenes and organoelectronic materials (i~troduction only).
Text Books
1. Peter Atkins and Julio de Paula Elements of Physical Chemistry, Oxford University
Press, 2005
2. Shashi Chawla A Text Book of Engineering Chemistry (3rd edn.).; Dhanpat Rai & Co,
New Delhi, 2003.
References
1. Atkins, P.W., Physical Chemistry, Oxford University Press, UK, 1998
2. Bhatnagar, M. S., Textbook of Pure & Applied Physical Chemistry, A. H. Wheeler & Co,
New Delhi, 1999.
3. Geoffrey Ozin, Andre Arsenault Nanochemistry: A Chemical Approach to
Nanomaterials.; Royal Society of Chemistry, U.K. 2005.
CE/ME/EC/CS/SE/IT/EB/EI/EE 104 ENGINEERING MECHANICS
A) STATICS
MODULE I
Concurrent forces in a plane: Principles of statics. Composition and resolution of forces.
Equilibrium of concurrent forces in a plane. Method of projection. Method of moments. Friction.
Parallel forces in a plane: Two parallel forces. General case of parallel forces in a plane. Centre of
parallel forces and centre of gravity, Pappus theorems, centroids of composite plane figures and
curves. Distributed forces in a plane.
MODULE II
Properties of areas: . Moment of inertia of a plane figure with respect to an axis in its plane. Polar
moment of inertia. Product of inertia. Principal axes. Mass moment of inertia of material bodies.
General case of forces in a plane: Composition of forces in a plane. Equilibrium of forces in a plane.
Plane trusses - Method of joints. Method of sections. Plane frames : Method of members. Principle of
virtual work: Equilibrium of ideal systems, stable and unstable equilibrium.
B) DYNAMICS
MODULE III
Rectilinear translation: Kinematics of rectilinear motion. Differential equation of rectilinear motion.
Motion of a particle acted upon by a constant force, by a force as a function of time and by a force
proportional to displacement. Simple harmonic motion. D'Alembert's principle. Momentum and
impulse. Work and energy, ideal systems, conservation of energy. Impact.
MODULE IV
Curvilinear translation: Kinematics of curvilinear translation. Differential equations of motion.
Motion of a projectile. D'Alembert's principle in curvilinear motion. Moment of momentum. Work
and energy in curvilinear motion.
Rotation of a rigid body: Kinematics of rotation. Equation of motion of a rigid body rotating about a
fixed axis. Rotation under the action of a constant moment. Compound pendulum. General case of
moment proportional to the angle of rotation. D'Alemberts principle of rotation. Resultant inertia
force in rotation. Principle of angular momentum in rotation. Energy equation for rotating bodies.
REFERENCESS
1. Engineering Mechanics - Timoshenko and Young - McGraw Hill Book Company.
2. Mechanics for Engineers (Vol. 1- Statics and Vol.2 -Dynamics) - Beer F. P. & Johnston E. R. -
Tata
McGraw Hill.
3. Engineering Mechanics (Vol. 1- Statics and Vol.2 -Dynamics) - Merriam H. L. & Kraige L. G. -
John Wiley and Sons.
3. Engineering mechanics- Biju N-Educational Publications –
CE/ME/EC/CS/SE/IT/EB/EI/EE 105 ENGINEERING GRAPHICS
MODULE I
Introduction to engineering graphics. Drawing instruments and their use. familiarisation with
current Indian Standard Code of Practice for general engineering drawing.
Scales- plain scale ,vernier scale, diagonal scale.
Conic sections- Construction of ellipse, parabola, hyperbola - construction of cycloid, involute,
archimedian spiral and logarithmic spiral- drawing tangents and normals to these curves.
MODULE II
Introduction to orthographic projections- plane of projection- principles of first angle and third
angle projections, projection of points in different quadrants.
Orthographic projection of straight lines parallel to one plane and inclined to the other plane- straight
lines inclined to both the planes- true length and inclination of lines with reference planes- traces of
lines.
Projection of plane laminae of geometrical shapes in oblique positions.
MODULE III
Projection of polyhedra and solids of revolution- frustum, projection of solids with axis parallel to
one plane and parallel or perpendicular to other plane- projection of solids with axis inclined to both
the planes- projection of solids on auxiliary planes.
Section of solids by planes inclined to horizontal or vertical planes- true shape of sections.
MODULE IV
Development of surface of cubes, prisms, cylinders, pyramids and cones
Intersection of surfaces- methods of determining lines of intersection - intersection of prism in prism
and cylinder in cylinder.
MODULE V
Introduction to isometric projection- isometric scales, isometric views- isometric projections of
prisms, pyramids, cylinders, cones and spheres.
Introduction to perspective projections : visual ray method and vanishing point method-
perspective of circles- perspective views of prisms and pyramids.
REFERENCES
1. Engineering Graphics
P.I.Varghese & K.C. John, JET
Publishers
2. Elementary engineering drawing
N.D.Bhat, Charotar publishing house
3. Geometric drawing,
P.S.Gill , B.D Kataria &sons Ludhiana
4. Engineering Graphics
P I Varghese, VIP Publishers.
CE/ME/EC/CS/SE/IT/EB/EI/EE 106
BASIC CIVIL&MECHANICAL ENGINEERING
(A) CIVIL ENGINEERING
MODULE I Materials: Cement - varieties and grade of cement and its uses. Steel- types of steel
for reinforcement bars, steel structural sections. Brick- varieties and strength , tests on bricks.
Aggregates- types & requirements of good aggregates. Concrete- grades of concrete as per IS code,
water cement ratio, workability, mixing, batching, placing, compaction and curing.
Construction : Foundation- types of foundations- isolated footing, combined footing, raft, pile &
well foundations,
MODULE II Super structure : Brick masonry, English bond and Flemish bond , Stone
masonry, Random rubble masonry. Roofing- Steel trusses, roofing for industrial buildings
Surveying: Principles, instruments, ranging and chaining of survey lines, errors in chaining, field
work, field book, selection of survey stations, reconnaissance ,,
Levelling : Levelling instruments, different types, temporary adjustments, mean sea level, reduced
level of point, booking of field notes, reduction of levels by height of collimation method.
REFERENCES
1. Engineering materials
: Rangwala
2. Building construction
: Punmia
3. A text book of building construction
: N.K.R. Murthy
4. Fundamentals of civil Engineering-
: Roy M Thomas-Educational Publications
5. A text book of building construction
: Jha & sinha
6. Surveying & Levelling
: T P Kanetkar
7. Surveying & Levelling
: Hussain
(B) MECHANICAL ENGINEERING
MODULE III Thermodynamics: thermodynamic systems - open, closed and isolated systems,
equilibrium state. of a system, property' and state, process, cycle, work, Zeroth law of
thermodynamics-concept of temperature, temperature scales. First law - internal energy, enthalpy.
Second law - Kelvin-Plank and Claussius statements, Carnot Cycle.
Refrigeration and Air conditioning: Vapour compression and vapour absorption refrigeration
systems, summer and winter Air conditioning, Comfort and industrial Air conditioning.
Elemetary ideas of simple reaction and impulse turbines, compounding of turbines.
MODULE IV Internal Combustion Engines: working of two stroke and four stroke Petrol and
Diesel engines, simple Carburettor, ignition system, fuel pump, fuel injector, cooling system,
lubricating system.
Transmission of Power: Belt drives (open and closed), chain drives.
Metal fabrication: Welding - Arc, gas, resistance welding, Welding defects, Soldering, Brazing
Text Books & References:
1. Engineering Thermodynamics
P.K.Nag
2. Engineering Thermodynamics
D.B. Spalding & E.H.Cole
3. Engineering Thermodynamics
Van Wylon
5. Thermodynamics
J.P.Holman
6. Elements of Internal Combustion Engines
Rogowsky, Tata McGraw Hill
7. Fundamentals of Internal Combustion Engines
Gill, Smith & Ziurys, Oxford & IBH
8. Refrigeration and Air Conditioning,
Stoecker Tata McGraw Hill
CE/CS/EB/EC/EE/ EI/IT/ME/SE 107
BASIC ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING& ELECTRONICS
(A) ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING
Module I Basic principles of Electric circuits: Review of Ohms law - Definition of
resistance, current, voltage and power - Series and parallel circuits- constant voltage source
and constant current source.
Network Theorems: Kirchoffs laws- Network analysis by Maxwell’s circulation currents
Thevenin’s theorem - Superposition theorem -Norton’s theorem - Simple illustrative problems
on network theorems.
Review of electrostatics - Coulomb’s Law- Electric field strength and Electric flux
densitycapacitance.
Module II Review of electromagnetic induction -Faraday’s Law- Lenz’s Law - mutually
induced emf. Magnetic circuits - magnetic field of a coil - Ampere turns calculation -
magnetic flux - flux density - field strength.
Measuring instruments: Working principle of galvanometer, Ammeter, Voltmeter, watt meter
& energy meter.
AC fundamentals: Generation of alternating voltage and current - equations of sinusoidal
voltage and current - wave form, cycle frequency, time period, amplitude, phase difference,
rms value, average value, power factor & form factor. Vector diagram - addition and
subtraction of vectors- sine waves in phase and out of phase. AC circuits: RC, RL, RLC
circuits-series and parallel - current, voltage and power relationships. Poly phase circuits:
vector representation phase sequence - star and delta connections.
(B) ELECTRONICS ENGINEERING
Module III Passive components: Resistor - Capacitor - Inductor - Color coding.
Transformer- different types, construction.
Semiconductors: Energy band diagram - intrinsic & extrinsic semi conductors, doping - PN
junction - Diodes, Zener diodes- Characteristics - Application of diodes. Rectifiers- Half
wave, full wave and Bridge rectifiers - Ripple factor and regulation.
Transistors: - PNP and NPN transistors - theory of operation - Transistor configurations
characteristics - comparison.
Special semiconductor devices - PET - SCR - LED - LCD - V -I characteristics, applications.
Module IV Fundamentals of Instrumentation: Transducers - Definition - Classification -
Active & passive - Transducer for position, pressure, velocity, vibration and temperature
measurements.
CRO - principle of operation - measurement of amplitude, frequency and phase.
Fundamentals of Communication: Analog communication - concept of modulation,
demodulation. Types: AM - FM -PM- Block diagram of general communication system -
Basic concepts of digital communication - Block diagram.
Text Books
1. Basic Electronics - Solid State - B. L. Theraja, S. Chand & Co.
2. Fundamentals of Electrical Engineering - Leonard S. Bobrow, Oxford University Press.
Further References:
1. Electrical Technology: Edward Hughes, Addison Wesley Publication
2. Electronic Devices & Circuits: G.K. Mithal & Ravi Mittal, Khanna Publishers

Contact details:
CUSAT
Thrikkakara, South Kalamassery
Kochi, Kerala 682022

Map:
[MAP]CUSAT Kochi, Kerala[/MAP]
For more detailed syllabus here I am attaching a word file which is free for download;
Attached Files
File Type: doc Safety And Fire Engineering CUSAT Syllabus.doc (118.0 KB, 156 views)

Quick Reply
Your Username: Click here to log in