2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

2nd January 2016, 12:05 PM
Unregistered

RNA Primer

I want to get information about the Ribo Nucleic Acid (RNA) Primer as well as Deoxyribonucleic acid and Function of the RNA primer. So here can you provide me information about it?
2nd January 2016, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

Re: RNA Primer

I have knowledge about the Ribo Nucleic Acid (RNA) Primer as well as Deoxyribonucleic acid and Function of the RNA primer. So here I am telling you about it as you want.

A primer is a strand of short nucleic acid sequences that serves as a starting point for Deoxyribonucleic acid synthesis.

In most cases of natural Deoxyribonucleic acid replication, the primer for Deoxyribonucleic acid synthesis and replication is a short strand of Ribo Nucleic Acid

There are a number of programs available to perform these primer predictions;

CODEHOP can be run on a server though the server is no longer supported. It uses the block format.

HYDEN is an executable that runs on windows through command prompt.

iCODEHOP also uses the block format but has been taken down.

FAS-DPD has to be run through a Java operating system that can be set up in a virtual machine.

RNA Primer

RNA Primer

Function of the RNA primer:

Deoxyribonucleic acidpolymerases need a double-stranded Deoxyribonucleic acid region to which they can attach in order to begin copying the rest of the Deoxyribonucleic acidstrand. In order to provide this double-stranded attachment site, Deoxyribonucleic acid primers are added by primase, an RNA polymerase which does not require such an attachment site itself.

When Deoxyribonucleic acidreplication starts, one primer is needed at the start of the leading strand. The lagging strand will need new primers regularly, and they mark the start of the stretches known as Okazaki fragments.

RNA used instead of DNA:
Adding primers is an error-prone process, and Deoxyribonucleic acid replication must copy the original strand with as high fidelity as possible.

Using RNA for primers and then copying the original using Deoxyribonucleic acid means that there is "memory" of which bits of the new strand were originally primers and hence more likely to contain errors (any Ribo Nucleic Acid in the copy must have been primers).

This allows removing them, in order to then replace them with proper high-fidelity Deoxyribonucleic acid copies.

When this happens, there is double-stranded Deoxyribonucleic acid around the sites where primers were located, allowing Deoxyribonucleic acid polymerases to attach there and fill in the gaps.

Quick Reply
Your Username: Click here to log in