2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

3rd October 2012, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

Re: Physical Fitness to Join Merchant Navy

As you want to know about Physical Fitness for apply in Merchant Navy so here as per my knowledge I am providing you some needful information about requirements for Merchant Navy.

Educational qualification
Candidates who wish to apply for Merchant Navy must have 10+2 or an equivalent examination with physics, chemistry and mathematics.

Physical test
There is a medical fitness test for sea service under standard norms and with eyesight 6/6 with no color blindness.

Below I am providing you contact details of an institute where you can get admission for preparation.

Contact details
Coaching center for Merchant Navy Selection
The Horizons
B-xx-83, college road civil lines
Ludhiana, Punjab
Phone: 0161-3941308
10th April 2013, 12:48 PM
Unregistered

Hi iam 25 now completed my engineering in ece looking out a carreer iin merchant navy ...can u tell me how ti do tat...
10th June 2016, 10:19 PM
maneyk

Pнyѕιcal ғιтneѕѕ ғor мercнanт navy reғerѕ тo тнe вмι cнarт i.e dependιng on нeιgнт and weιgнт (oвeѕe are noт allowed ).
U нave тo clear тнe мedιcal тeѕт and eye ѕιgнт тeѕт wιтн no coloυr вlιndneѕѕ ....вy cerтιғιed мedιcal oғғιcer oғ govт oғ india
7th November 2019, 01:55 PM
Unregistered

Can you tell me about the Physical fitness requirement to join Merchant Navy in India as I want to check if I am eligible for it or not?
7th November 2019, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator

Admission in Merchant Navy in India is through an entrance followed by a screening test and a main written examination. After clearing the test, there is an interview and a medical test.

One also needs to complete a ship-training course prior to the employment. The course is generally short-term where the candidates are taught basic security concerns of voyaging.

Eligibility to join the Merchant Navy

The eligibility for joining merchant navy is finishing class 12 with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics.

Candidates have to be unmarried Indian citizens (male or female).

The minimum age is 17 years and the maximum is 25 years to be eligible for examinations pertaining to the merchant navy.
As per the Government rules, the maximum age relaxation for Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes is 5 years.

Physical Fitness

Physical fitness is of utmost importance for a career at sea. A certificate of fitness from a registered medical practitioner is mandatory for admission into a course.
Candidates with disability arent eligible for admission into courses with regard to the merchant navy.
This hasnt much to do with discrimination as such as it is supremely important to be fully able in carrying out the duties on board a merchant ship.

Eyesight

6/12 in each eye or 6/9 in better eye and 6/18 in other eye for distant unaided vision
Color blindness in any case is absolutely not permitted.

Tags
short term

Quick Reply
Your Username: Click here to log in