2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

5th April 2016, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Operating System Notes BPUT

Biju Patnaik University of Technology, Rourkela was created by an act of the Odisha state legislature in November 2002.This is the state technical university of Odisha.

As you asking for the syllabus of the operating system 3rd year B ,tech information technology of the BPUT University the syllabus is as follow :

MODULE-I
INTRODUCTION TO OPERATING SYSTEM:
What is an Operating System? Simple Batch Systems, Multiprogramming and Time
Sharing systems. Personal Computer Systems, Parallel Systems, Distributed Systems
and Real time Systems.

Operating System Structures: Operating System Services, System components,
Protection system, Operating System Services, system calls

PROCESS MANAGEMENT:
Process Concept, Process Scheduling, Operation on Processes, Interprocess
communication, Examples of IPC Systems, Multithreading Models, Threading Issues,
Process Scheduling Basic concepts, scheduling criteria, scheduling algorithms, Thread
Scheduling.

MODULE-II 1
PROCESS COORDINATION: Synchronization: The Critical section problem, Peterson’s
solution, Synchronization hardware, Semaphores, Classical problems of synchronization, Monitors.
Deadlocks: System model, Deadlock Characterization Methods for Handling Deadlocks, Deadlock Prevention, Deadlock avoidance, Deadlock Detection, recovery from Deadlock.

MEMORY MANAGEMENT: Memory Managementstrategies, Logical versus Physical Address space, swapping, contiguousAllocation, Paging, Segmentation.

Virtual Memory: Background, Demand paging,performance of Demand paging, Page
Replacement, Page Replacement Algorithms. Allocation of frames, Thrashing, Demand
Segmentation.

MODULE-III 11 Hours
STORAGE MANAGEMENT:
File System Concept, Access Methods, File SystemStructure, File System Structure, File System Implementation, Directory implementation, Efficiency and Performance,
Recovery, Overview of Mass Storage Structure, Disk Structure, Disk Scheduling, Disk
Management, Swap-Space Management, I/O System Overview, I/O Hardware,
Application I/O Interface, Kernel I/O Subsystem, Transforming I/O Request to Hardware Operation.

CASE STUDIES: The LINUX System, Windows XP, Windows Vista

Contact details :
Biju Patnaik University
Address: Chhend Main Rd, Chhend, Rourkela, Odisha 769004
Phone: 0661 248 2556

Quick Reply
Your Username: Click here to log in