2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

29th April 2015, 11:17 AM
Unregistered

Nda bnfl

Please give me details about British Nuclear Fuels Limited (BNFL) and Nuclear Decommissioning Authority (NDA) including date of establishment of NDA? What is the type of BNFL Company and what are the new subsidiaries of BNFL?
20th April 2018, 10:50 AM
Unregistered

Re: Nda bnfl

I want to get the details of British Nuclear Fuels Limited (BNFL), Nuclear Decommissioning Authority (NDA) so can you provide me?
20th April 2018, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

Re: Nda bnfl

British Nuclear Fuels Limited (BNFL) was a nuclear energy and fuels company owned by the UK Government.

It was a former manufacturer and transporter of nuclear fuel (notably MOX), ran reactors, generated and sold electricity, reprocessed and managed spent fuel (mainly at Sellafield), and decommissioned nuclear plants and other similar facilities.

The UK government, as part of a major reduction of public bodies, has decided to finally abolish British Nuclear Fuels Ltd (BNFL).

The company was launched in 1971, grew to manage the UK's nuclear fuel cycle centres and all 26 Magnox nuclear power reactors.

However, from 2002 the UK government began to restructure its nuclear industry. Focusing on decommissioning, and it was decided to reduce the scope of national assets would be controlled by the state.

National facilities and their clean-up liabilities were transferred from BNFL to the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority (NDA), and the spin-off of BNFL's subsidiaries.

The decision to dissolve BNFL came with the closure of quangos (quasi-autonomous non-governmental organisations), a plethora of expert bodies set up to independently advise the UK government.

Contact-

Nuclear Engineering International
Progressive House, 2 Maidstone Road
Foots Cray, Sidcup
Kent DA14 5HZ, United Kingdom

Customer service, back issues and subscriptions enquiries:
Email:cs@progressiveintelligence.com
Tel:+44 (0) 845 155 1845

Quick Reply
Your Username: Click here to log in