2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

28th April 2015, 04:11 PM
Unregistered

Meteorology CUSAT

Tell me the eligibility required to apply for the M.Sc in Meteorology in Cochin University of Science and Technology Kochi? I have completed B.Sc in Physics with 67% so can I eligible to apply for this course? Also tell me the fees structure of M.Sc in Meteorology?
Similar Threads
Thread
PhD in CUSAT
Cusat po
Cusat bca
Andhra University Meteorology
Cusat ip
Mbe cusat
Cusat pta
Sms Cusat
Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology in Pune
Indian Institute For Tropical Meteorology
Indian Institute Of Tropical Meteorology Mumbai
CUSAT Cut Off
Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology is Located at
Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology Tender
DTE Of Meteorology Indian Air Force Race Course
Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology Chennai
CUSAT Map
Expected rank in CUSAT after 340 marks in CUSAT
Colleges with meteorology degrees
National Institute Of Meteorology And Hydrology
13th April 2018, 04:35 PM
Unregistered

Re: Meteorology CUSAT

My sister is pursuing M.Tech Atmospheric Science Program from CUSAT University. She is in 1st Semester of this Program. She is searching for latest syllabus of Diagnostic Meteorology Subject of this semester, so can anyone provide detailed syllabus of Diagnostic Meteorology Subject offering by CUSAT University in M.Tech Course?
13th April 2018, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Meteorology CUSAT

As you are looking for detailed syllabus of Diagnostic Meteorology Subject of M.Tech Atmospheric Science Program offering by CUSAT University, so here I am providing complete syllabus:

ATM3106 DIAGNOSTIC METEOROLOGY
Unit I:

Scope of Diagnostic Meteorology - Scales of weather systems (Meso, Synoptic and Planetary scales) - Network of observatories - Surface, upper air and special observations (satellite, radar, aircraft etc.) - Map projections - Representation and analysis of fields of meteorological elements on synoptic charts - Vertical time/cross sections and their analysis.- Wind and pressure analysis - Isobars on level surface and contours on constant pressure surface - Isotherms, thickness field - Geostrophic, gradient and thermal winds Slope of pressure systems - Streamline and isotach analysis.

Unit II:
Ordinary thunderstorm - Severe thunderstorm (Squall-line, Multi-cell, Super-cell) Role of CAPE, CINE and Vertical Wind Shear - Synoptic conditions favorable for thunderstorm - Norwesters, Dust- storm (Andhl), Hail storm, Tornado, Squall, Meso-high, Gust front , Down-burst and Micro-burst, Tropical cyclone - Surface wind Vertical structure in wind, temperature and angular momentum Eye, Wall Cloud and Spiral cloud bands - Cyclone Genesis - Intensification of Cyclones T-number - Movement of cyclones Land fall - Interaction with nearby cyclones - Storm surge.

Unit III:
Asian summer monsoon - Monsoon onset over Kerala - Active and Break monsoon- Monsoon trough Cross equatorial Low Level Jetstream Tibetan Anticyclone - Tropical Easterly Jetstream - Monsoon depression Mid Tropospheric Cyclone - Offshore troughs/vortices Influence of northern hemisphere mid-latitude westerly troughs - Monsoon and typhoons Monsoon and orography - Intra- seasonal variability of Monsoon (15 and 40 day modes) - Withdrawal of monsoon Monsoon and the ocean - Summer monsoons of Africa and Australia Northeast monsoon.

Unit IV:
Air masses and fronts Slope of frontal surface - Extra tropical cyclone and its structure and life cycle - Fronts and associated weather - Development of cyclones and anticyclones - Application of pressure tendency equation - Importance of vorticlty advection, temperature advection and diabatic heating, Waves in middle latitude westerlies Movement of wave troughs - Cut-off lows semipermanent waves on the subtropical jetstream Rossby waves induced by tropical heat sources - Western Disturbance and Its structure and associated weather - Easterly wave and its structure and associated weather.

Unit V:
Jet stream WMO definition Sub-tropical jetstream and its relation with Hadley cell Tropical easterly jetstream Polar Front jetstream stratospheric jetstreams -. Jetstream High Speed Center and its four sectors Jetstream as a Wave Guide for Rossby Waves Jetstream and weather, Meso- scale weather systems - Diurnal and local effects - Sea and land breezes - Slope and valley winds - Fog - Mountain wave - Clear Air Turbulence.

Unit VI:
Nowcasting and Short range weather forecasting - Persistence, climatology and steering methods - Movement and development of synoptic scale systems - Analogue techniques - Prediction of individual weather elements - Prediction of visibility, surface and upper level winds, sea and swell - Interpretation and use of numerical model outputs in weather forecasting - Forecast verification techniques

Quick Reply
Your Username: Click here to log in