2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

26th November 2014, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator

Re: M.A Economics exam system of GNDU

As you want to know that M.A Economics exam system of GNDU so I want to tell you that there is semester system for M.A Economics exam.

I am giving you syllabus of M.A Economics of GNDU:

Semester-I
MAE-101 Microeconomics-I
MAE-102 Macroeconomics-I
MAE-103 Quantitative Methods for Economists-I

Semester-II
MAE-201 Microeconomics-II
MAE-202 Macroeconomics-II
MAE-203 Quantitative Techniques for Economists-II

Semester-III
MAE-301 Economics of Development
MAE-302 International Economics-I
MAE-303 Indian Economy

Semester-IV
MAE-401 Economics of Planning
MAE-402 International Economics-II
MAE-403 Punjab Economy

MAE–101: Microeconomics–I
Time: 3 Hours Max. Marks: 100
Note: Instructions for the Paper–Setters/Examiners:
(i) First question consisting of 10 short answer type based upon the entire syllabus,
(each carrying 2 marks) will be compulsory.
(ii) Students will attempt 1 out of 2 questions from each of four units (20 marks
each).

Unit – I
Basic Economic Problem – Choice and Scarcity; Deductive and Inductive Methods of Analysis;
Role of assumptions in theory formulation; Positive and Normative Economics; Economic
Models.
Elasticities (Prices, cross, income) of demand – theoretical aspects and empirical estimation;
elasticity of supply.

Unit – II
Theories of demand – utility; indifference curve (income and substitution effects, Slutsky
theorem, compensated demand curve) and their applications; Revealed preference theory.

Unit – III
Consumer’s choice involving risk: describing risk, preference towards risk, the demand for
risky assets; Consumer’s behavior under asymmetric information; implications of asymmetric
information, market signaling, moral hazard, managerial incentives in an integrated firm,
asymmetric information in labour markets–efficiency wage theory; Recent developments in
demand analysis (pragmatic approach and linear expenditure systems).

Unit – IV
Production function: Short period and long period; law of variable proportions and returns to
scale; Isoquants – Least cost combination of inputs; Returns to scale; Economies of scale;
Multiproduct firm; Elasticity of substitution; Euler’s theorem; Technical progress and
production; Cobb–Douglas, CES and their properties, Traditional and modern theories of costs
– Derivation of cost functions from production function; (C–D and CES).

Suggested Readings:
1. Kreps, David M. (1990), A Course in Microeconomic Theory, Princeton University Press,
Princeton.
2. Koutsoyiannis, A. (1979), Modern Microeconomics, (2nd Edition), Macmillan Press,
London.
3. Layard, P.R.G. and A.W. Walters (1978), Microeconomic Theory, McGraw Hill, New
York.
4. Sen, A. (1999), Microeconomics: Theory and Applications, Oxford University Press, New
Delhi.
5. Varian, H. (2000), Microeconomic Analysis, W.W. Norton, New York.
6. Henderson, J.M. and R.E. Quandit (1980), Microeconomic Theory: A Mathematical
Approach, McGraw Hill, New Delhi.
7. Da Costa G.C. (1980), Production Prices and Distribution, Tata McGraw Hill, New Delhi.
8. Healthfields and Wibe (1987), An Introduction to Cost and Production Functions,
Macmillan, London.
9. Bronfenbrenner, M. (1979), Income Distribution Theory, Macmillan, London.

MAE–102: Macroeconomics–I
Note : Instructions for the Paper–Setters/Examiners:
(i) First question consisting of 10 short answer type based upon the entire syllabus,
(ii) Students will attempt 1 out of 2 questions from each of the four units (20 marks
each).

Unit – I
National Income and Accounts : Concept of national income, Circular Flow of Income (four
sector economy); Social Accounts and its uses. Classical and Keynesian Models of income
determination.

Unit – II
Consumption Function : Keynes psychological law of consumption; short–run and long–run
consumption function; Empirical evidence on consumption function; income–consumption
relationship–absolute income, relative income, life cycle and permanent income hypotheses.

Unit – III
Investment Function : Inducement to invest – Marginal efficiency of investment and Marginal
efficiency of capital criterion; the accelerator and investment behavior; Jorgenson’s Model.

Unit – IV
Money : Concept of money; A behavioral model of money supply determination, High
powered money and money multiplier; control of money supply.
Classical and Keynesian approach to demand for money; Post–Keynesian approaches to
demand for money – Patinkin and the Real Balances Effect, Approaches of Baumol and Tobin;
Friedman and modern quantity theory.

Suggested Readings
1. Beckerman, W. : An introduction to National Income Analysis.
2. Studenski, Paul A. : The Income of Nations : Part 2, Theory and Methodology.
3. Uma Datta Roy (1995), National Income Accounting, Macmillan, Choudhary.
4. Ackley, G. (1978), Macroeconomics : Theory and Policy, Macmillan, New York.
5. Blackhouse, R. and A. Salansi (Eds.) (2000), Macroeconomics and the Real World
(2 Vols.), Oxford University Press, London.

6. Branson, W.A. (1989), Macroeconomic Theory and Policy, (3rd ed.), Harper and Row,
New York.
7. Dombusch, R. and F. Star (1997), Macroeconomics, McGraw Hill, Inc., New York.
8. Hall, R.E. and J.B. Taylor (1986), Macroeconomics, W.W. Norton, New York.
9. Heljdra, B.J. and V.P. Fred clock (2001), Foundations of Modern Macroeconomics
Oxford University Press, New Delhi.
10. Jha, R. (1991), Contemporary Macroeconomic Theory and Policy, Wiley Eastern Ltd.,
New Delhi.
11. Romer, D.L. (1996), Advanced Macroeconomics, McGraw Hill Company Ltd., New York.
12. Scarfe, B.L. (1977), Cyce Growth and Inflation, McGraw Hill, New York.
13. Shapiro, E. (1996), Macroeconomic Analysis, Galgotia Publications, New Delhi.
14. Surrey, M.J.C. (Ed.), (1976), Macroeconomic Themes, Oxford University Press, Oxford.

MAE–103: Quantitative Methods for Economists–I
Time : 3 Hours Max. Marks : 100
Note : Instructions for the Paper–Setters/Examiners:
(ii) Students will attempt 1 out of 2 questions from each of four units (20 marks
each).

Unit – I
Concept of function and types of functions; Rules of differentiation; Application to revenue,
cost, demand, supply functions; Elasticities and their types; production function; Rules of
partial differential and interpretation of partial derivatives; homogeneous functions and
Euler’s theorem.

Unit – II
Problem of maxima and minima in single and multivariable (upto 3) functions;
Unconstrained and constrained optimization in simple economic problems; Simple
applications in market equilibrium; Concept of integration; Simple rules of
integration; Application to consumer’s surplus and producer’s surplus.

Unit – III
Determinants and their basic properties; Solution of simultaneous equations through
Cramer’s rule, Concept of matrix–their types, simple operations on matrices, matrix
inversion and rank of a matrix; Concept of quadratic form, Eigen roots and Eigen
vectors; Introduction to input–output analysis.

Unit – IV
Linear Programming –Formulation and solution through graphical and simplex method.
Statement of basic theorems of linear programming; Formulation of the dual of primal and its
interpretation; Shadow prices and their uses; Concept of duality; Concept of a game;
Strategies – simple and mixed; Value of a game; Saddle point solution; Simple applications.

Suggested Readings:
1. Allen, R.G.D. (1974), Mathematical Analysis for Economists, Macmillan Press and ELBS,
London.
2. Chiang, A.C. (1986), Fundamental Methods of Mathematical Economics, McGraw Hill,
New York.

3. Gupta, S.C. (1993), Fundamentals of Applied Statistics, S. Chand & Sons, New Delhi.
4. Handry, A.T. (1999), Operations Research, Prentice Hall of India, New Delhi.
5. Speigal, M.R. (1992), Theory and Problems of Statistics, McGraw Hill Book Co., London.
6. Taha, H.A. (1977), Operations Research : An Introduction (6th Edition), Prentice Hall of
India Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi.
7. Yamane, Taro (1975), Mathematics for Economists Prentice Hall of India, New Delhi.
8. Vygodsky, G.S. (1971), Mathematical Handbook (Higher Mathematics), Mir Publishers,
Moscow.
9. Kothari, C.R. (1992), An Introduction to Operations Research, Vikas Publishing House,
New Delhi.
10. Mustafi, C.K. (1992), Operations Research : Methods and Practice, Wiley Eastern, New
Delhi.

MAEO-1: Public Finance
Note: Instructions for the Paper-Setters/Examiners:
(i) First question consisting of 10 short answer type based upon the entire syllabus, (each
carrying 2 marks) will be compulsory.
(ii) Students will attempt 1 out of 2 questions from each of the four units (20 marks
each).

Unit – I
Meaning and scope of Public Finance, Role of Public Finance in developing countries.
Distinction between public, private and merit goods.
Public revenue : sources, taxation, tax elasticity and buoyancy, taxable capacity and tax effort;
Theory of incidence; equity in taxation; principles of taxation; direct and indirect taxes; effect of
taxation on production and distribution; major taxes in India; tax reforms in India.

Unit – II
Theory of public expenditure, structure and growth of public expenditure, reasons for growth in
public expenditure; Wagner’s law; Effects of public expenditure on production and distribution.
Role of public expenditure in developing countries.

Unit – III
Public budgets: kinds of budget, programme budgeting and zero-base budgeting; different
concepts of budget deficits, budget of Union Government in India.
Public debt: classification, significance and burden of public debt, principles of debt
management, external debt servicing, Public debt in India.

Unit – IV
Fiscal federalism – theory and problems. Criteria for resource transfer from Union to States,
Centre-State financial relations in India, recommendations of the latest Finance Commission.
Fiscal policy – objectives, interdependence of monetary and fiscal policies.

Suggested Readings:
1. Musgrave, R.A. (1959), The Theory of Public Finance, McGraw Hill, Kogakusha, Tokyo.
2. Musgrave, R.A. and P.B. Musgrave (1976), Public Finance in Theory and Practice, McGraw
Hill, Kogakusha, Tokyo.
3. Shome, P. (Ed.) (1995), Tax Policy : Handbook, Tax Division, Fiscal Affairs Department,
International Monetary Fund, Washington D.C.
4. Herber, B.P. (1967), Modern Public Finance, Richard D. Irwin, Homewood.
5. Chelliah, Raja J. (1971), Fiscal Policy in Underdeveloped Countries, George Allen and
Unwin, London.
6. Srivastava, D.K. (Ed.) (2000), Fiscal Federalism in India, Har-Anand Publications Ltd., New
Delhi.
7. Government of India (1992), Reports of the Tax Reforms Committee – Interim and Final
(Chariman : Raja J. Chelliah).
8. Mundle, S. (1999), Public Finance Policy : Issues for India, Oxford University Press, New
Delhi.

MAEO-2: Economics of Labour
Time : 3 Hours Max. Marks : 100
Note : Instructions for the Paper-Setters/Examiners:
(i) First question consisting of 10 short answer type based upon the entire syllabus, (each
carrying 2 marks) will be compulsory.
(ii) Students will attempt 1 out of 2 questions from each of four units (20 marks each).

Unit – I
Nature, scope and subject matter of labour economics; Labour Market : Concept, characteristics,
nature and characteristics and growth of labour markets in India. Theories of Labour markets :
Classical, Neo-classical, Dualistic Labour Markets.

Unit – II
Employment and Unemployment – Concept, types and measurements; nature of unemployment
in India, Employment policy in five year plans.
Wages: classical and neo-classical and bargaining theories of Wages. Concept of Wages –
minimum wage, living wage and fair wages in India. Wages and productivity.

Unit – III
Trade Unions; Objectives and functions, Trade unions in India.
Industrial Relations in India. Industrial Disuputes – Causes and extent. Dispute settlement
Machinery in India in the framework of Industrial Disputes Act.

Unit – IV
Social Security – social assistance, social insurance and social security policy in India. Labour
Welfare: State policies with respect to labour welfare in India. Labour market reforms in Indiaexit
policy and measures to make labour market flexible; Second National Commission on
labour. Globalization and labour markets.

Suggested Readings:
1. Datar, B.N. : Labour Economics
2. Dobb, Maurice : Wages
3. Dunlop J.T. (ed) : Theory of Wages Determination.
4. Dunlop, J.T. : Wages Determination under Trade Unionism.
5. Dunlop, J.T. : Industrial Relations Systems.
6. Government of India : Indian Labour Year Book, 1967. Labour Investigation Committee,
Main Report, 1946. Report of the Fair Wages Committee, 1949, Report of the National
Commission on Labour in India, 1969.
7. Hajela, P.D. (1998), Labour Restructuring in India : A Critique of the New Economic
Policies, Commonwealth Publishers, New Delhi.
8. I.L.O. : Approaches to Social Society.
9. Lester, R.A. (1964), Economics of Labour, (2nd Edition), Macmillan, New York.

For full syllabus I am giving you one attachment:

Address:
Guru Nanak Dev University
Court Road, Amritsar, Punjab 143005 ‎
0183 225 8855

Map Location:
[MAP]https://www.google.co.in/maps?q=Guru+Nanak+Dev+University,+Amritsar+&hl=en& ll=31.637288,74.824405&spn=0.0095,0.01869&sll=13.0 14112,80.240235&sspn=0.010871,0.01869&t=m&z=16&iwl oc=A[/MAP]
Attached Files
File Type: pdf M.A Economics exam Syllabus of GNDU.pdf (187.3 KB, 76 views)

Quick Reply
Your Username: Click here to log in