2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

12th May 2015, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Kinematics Of Machinery Anna University Question Papers

Here I am providing the list of few questions of Anna University Mechatronics 3rd Sem Kinematics Of Machinery exam question paper which you are looking for.
Anna University Mechatronics 3rd Sem Kinematics Of Machinery exam question paper

1. State Gruebler’s criterion for spatial mechanism.

2. Define ‘Mechanical Advantage’.

3. What is coriolis acceleration?

4. What is meant by virtual centre?

5. Why is a roller follower preferred to knife edge follower?

6. Define ‘Under cutting in cam’.

7. State the law of gearing.

8. Write the mobility of differential mechanism.

9. What do you mean by self-locking screws?

10. Give the effect of centrifugal tension in belt drives.

PART B — (5 × 16 = 80 Marks)

11. (a) (i) Define transmission angle. Sketch a drag-link mechanism in maximum transmission angle and minimum transmission angle positions and explain. (10)

(ii) Sketch and explain ‘Whitworth’ quick return mechanism. (6)

Or

(b) (i) Describe various inversions of double slider crank-mechanism with sketches. (10)
(ii) Discuss about the straight line generators. (6)

(a)
In a simple steam engine, the lengths of the crank and the connecting rod are 100 mm and 400 mm respectively. The weight of the connecting rod is
50 kg and its centre of mass is 220 mm from the cross head centre. The radius of gyration about the centre of mass is 120 mm. If the engine speed is 300 rpm and the crank has turned 45° from IDC, determine
(i) The angular velocity and acceleration of the connecting rod
(ii) Kinetic energy of the connecting rod. (16)

Or

(b) PQRS is a four bar chain with a fixed link PS. The lengths of the links are : PQ = 62.5 mm, QR = 175 mm, RS = 112.5 mm and PS = 200 mm. The crank PQ rotates at 10 rad/s clockwise. Draw the velocity and acceleration diagram when angle QPS = 60° and find the angular velocity
and angular acceleration of the links QR and RS. (16)

13. (a) A disc cam used for moving a knife edge follower with SHM during lift
and uniform acceleration and retardation motion during return. Cam
rotates at 300 rpm clockwise direction. The line of motion of the follower
has an offset 10 mm to the right angle of cam shaft axis. The minimum
radius of the cam is 30 mm. The lift of the follower is 40 mm. The cam
rotation angles are: lift 60°, dwell 90°, return 120° and remaining angle
for dwell. Draw the cam profile and determine the maximum velocity and
acceleration during the lift and return. (16)

Or

(b) What is tangent cam? Derive the expressions for the velocity and acceleration of a roller follower in the tangent cam. (16)

14. (a) A pair of spur gears with involute teeth is to give a gear ratio of 3:1. The
arc of approach is not to be less than the circular pitch and smaller wheel
is the driver. The angle of pressure is 20°
(i) What is the least number of teeth that can be used on each wheel? (ii) What is the addendum of the wheel in terms of circular pitch? (16)

Or

(b) In an epicyclic gear train, an annular wheel A having 54 teeth meshes with a planet wheel B which gears with a sun wheel C, the wheels A and C being rotates about the axis of the wheels A and C. If the wheel A makes 20 rpm in a clockwise sense and the arm rotates at 100 rpm in the anticlockwise direction and the wheel C has 24 teeth, determine the speed and direction of rotation of wheel C. (16)
15. (a) (i) Derive the condition for maximum efficiency of screw. (8) (ii) A bicycle and rider of mass 100 kg are travelling at the rate of
16 km/hr on a level road. A brake is applied to the rear wheel which is 0.9 m in diameter and this is the only resistance acting. How many turns will it make before it comes to rest? The pressure applied on the brake is 100 N and µ = 0.05. (8)

Or

(b) A rope drive is required to transmit 230 kW from a pulley of 1 m diameter running at 450 rpm. The safe pull in each rope is 800 N and the mass of the rope is 0.4 kg per meter length. The angle of lap and the groove is 160° and 45° respectively. If µ = 0.3, find the number of ropes
required.

Quick Reply
Your Username: Click here to log in