2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

16th June 2015, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Jamia Millia Islamia Chemistry

As you want I am here providing you syllabus of MSC. Chemistry course of Jamia Millia Islamia university.

Syllabus :
Semester 1 :
Inorganic Chemistry-I
Elements of Materials
Chemistry
Stereochemistry and Role of
Bonding in Organic Reactions
Thermodynamics
Group Theory and
Spectroscopy – I
Title
Inorganic Chemistry Lab-I
Materials Chemistry Lab-I
Organic Chemistry Lab-I
Physical Chemistry Lab-I

Semester 2 :
Inorganic Chemistry-II
Defects, Deformation and
Deterioration of Materials
Organic Reactive Inte
Mechanism and Pericyclic
Reactions
Surface Chemistry
Group Theory and
Spectroscopy – II
Title
Inorganic Chemistry Lab-II
Materials Chemistry Lab-II
Organic Chemistry Lab-II
Physical Chemistry Lab-II

Semester 3 :
Chemical Applications of Group
Theory
Inorganic Reaction Mechanism
Organometallic Chemistry-I
Bio-inorganic Chemistry – I
Inorganic Chemistry Lab-III
Conventional Ceramics
Basic Concepts of Crystallography and Crystal Structures
Polymer Chemistry and Technology
Chemistry of Advanced Materials
Materials Chemistry Lab-III
Medicinal Chemistry
Chemistry of Natural Products – I
Methods in Organic Synthesis
Applications of Spectroscopy – I
Organic Chemistry Lab-III
Nuclear Chemistry
Advanced Solid State Chemistry
Electrochemistry
Molecular Reaction Dynamics and Catalysis

M.Sc. CHEMISTRY – SEMESTER I
INORGANIC CHEMISTRY
PAPER – I
INORGANIC CHEMISTRY – I
12 hours
Unit I: Metal Ligand Equilibria in Solution
Stepwise and overall formation constants and their interaction, trends in stepwise constants,
factors affecting the stability of metal complexes with reference to the nature of metal ion and
ligand, chelate Effect and its thermodynamic origin, determination of binary formation
constants by pH-metry and Spectrophotometry.

Unit II: Non–Aqueous Solvents
Role of Solvents in chemical reactions, physical properties of a solvent, types of solvent and their general characteristics, reactions in non-aqueous solvents with reference to liquid ammonia and liquid SO2.

Unit III: Magnetic Properties of Transition Metal Complexes
Magnetic properties of transition metal complexes and lanthanides, spin-orbit coupling and susceptibility of transition metal ions and rare earths; magnetic moments of metal complexes with crystal field terms of A, E and T symmetry, T.I.P., intramolecular effects,
antiferromagnetism and ferromagnetism of metal complexes, super paramagnetism. High and low spin equilibria, anamolous magnetic moments, magnetic exchange coupling and spin Crossover.

Unit IV: Inorganic Materials
Introduction to the solid state, metallic bond, band theory (zone model, brillouin zones,
limitation of zone model): defects in solids, p-type and n-type, inorganic semiconductors (use in transistors, IC etc.), electrical, optical, magnetic and thermal properties of inorganic materials, superconductors, with special emphasis on the synthesis and structure of high temperature super conductors.

Books Suggested:
1. Inczedy, J. Analytical applications of complex equilibria Halsted Press: New York, NY
(1976).
2. Hartley, F. R., Burgess, C. & Alcock, R. M. Solution Equilibria Prentice-Hall: Europe
(1980).
3. Ringbom, A. Complexation in Analytical Chemistry Wiley: New York (1963).
4. Non-aqueous Solution Chemistry by H.H. Sisler.
5. Magnetochemistry by R.L. Carlin.
6. Mabbs, F. E. & Machin, D. J. Magnetism and Transition Metal Complexes Chapman and
Hall: U.K. (1973).
7. Elements of Chemistry by N. N. Greenwood and A. Earnshaw.
8. Keer, H.V. Principles of the solid state Wiley Eastern Ltd.: New Delhi (1993).
9. West, A.R. Solid State Chemistry and its Applications John Wiley & Sons (1987).
10. Cheetham, A. K. & Day, P., Eds. Solid State Chemistry Techniques Clarendon Press,
Oxford (1087).

MATERIALS CHEMISTRY
PAPER – II
ELEMENTS OF MATERIALS CHEMISTRY
Unit I: Multiphase Materials 12 Lectures
Introduction, solid solutions, interstitial and substitutional solid solutions, complex solid
solutions intermetallic compounds, condensed phase rule, one component system Si and Fe.
Binary isomorphous system: Cu-Ni, Au-Cu, Hume Rothery solid solubility rule, Liver Rule,
Invarient phase Equilibrium Entetic formation (Pb-Sn) peritectic formation Fe-Ni, Fe-C phase
diagram, phase transformation in Fe-C alloys, Ferrous and nonferrous alloys.

Unit II: Polymer Chemistry 14 Lectures
Classification of Polymers; Degree of Polymerization
General Characteristics of Chain Growth Polymerization; Alkene Polymerization by Free
Radical, Cationic and Anionic Initiators;
General Characteristics of Step Growth Polymerization; Synthesis of Polymers by Step Growth
Polymerization: Polyesters, Polyamides, Polycarbonates, Polysulphones, Polyphenyl Oxides and
Polysiloxanes
Ring-opening Polymerization of Ethers and Lactones

Unit III: Glasses 8 Lectures
General features, Fabrication of glass, Factors that influence glass formation , Viscosity, Effect
of electronegativity, and bond types on oxide glass, Zachariason’s, Sun and Rawson criteria,
Methods of glass formation, Silicate glasses, Pyrex glass, Phosphate glasses, Borate glasses,
Thermodynamics of glass formation, Chalcogenide Glasses.

Unit IV: Nanomaterials 14 Lectures
Nanoscale Regime, Nano particle, Nanoporous materials, Gas phase Nanoparticles, Condensed
Phase Nano Partcles, Inorganic Nano Particles, Semi conductors, Dielectric (insulator) Nano
particles, Properties of nanoparticles ( Physical, mechanical, chemical, magnetic, optical and
electronic properties)Method of Preparation:- Bottom Dowuard Bottom approach, metal atom
aggregation in inert gases and cold matrice (GEM, PCB, CFCB and SMAD process), Sonocative
Decomposition of metal carbonyl, Borohydrated Reduction, Alkali metal reduction, Zeolite
Method, Emulsion, inverse micelles , Sol-Gel Methods , Co-Precipitation Method.

Books Suggested:
1. Text Book of Polymer Science by F. W. Billmeyer
2. Materials Science and Engineering: An Introduction, W.D. Callister, Wiley
3. Principle of solid state, H. V. Keer, Wiley Eastern.
4. Chemistry of Advanced Materials by Leonard V.Interrante and M.J.Hampden-Smih

ORGANIC CHEMISTRY
PAPER – III
STEREOCHEMISTRY AND
ROLE OF BONDING IN ORGANIC REACTIONS
Unit I: Configurational Isomerism
Stereoisomerism: Classification, optical activity and chirality resolution of racemic mixture,
molecules with one, two or more chiral centres; Fischer’s projection formula, Relative and
absolute configurations, D L, R S, and E Z system of naming. Stereochemistry due to the
presence of perpendicular dissymmetric planes in allenes, spiranes, biphenyls and binaphthols.
Chirality due to helical shape, Optical purity, % enantiomeric excess (ee), Enantiotopic and
Diastereotopic atoms groups and faces, Stereospecific and stereoselective syntheses.

Unit II: Conformational Analysis
Conformation in open chain system (with reference to 1,2-disubstituted ethane). Baeyer’s strain
theory of cyclic compounds, conformations and stability of cyclohexanes (mono-, di- and tri- substituted). Confomation of rings containing sp2 hybridized carbon atoms, conformation of
sugars. Locking groups - t-butyl groups, decalins and steroids, Effect of conformation on
reactivity.

Unit III: Nature of Bonding in Organic Molecules
Huckel’s rule of aromaticity, annulenes, benzoid and non-benzoid aromatic systems; tropones,
tropolones, azulene, pentalene and heptalene. Anti-aromaticity and Homo-aromaticity, PMO
approach. Alternant and nonalternant hydrocarbons, Mesoionic compounds and squaric acid.
Bonds weaker than covalent bonds, crown ether complexes and cryptands; inclusion
compounds- Cyclodextrins, catananes and rotaxanes.

Unit IV: Addition to Carbon-Hetero Multiple Bonds
Mechanism of metal hydride reduction of saturated and unsaturated carbonyl compounds, acids,
esters and nitriles. Addition of Grignard reagents, Organozinc and Organolithium reagents to
carbonyl and unsaturated carbonyl compounds. Wittig Reaction.
Mechanism of condensation reactions involving enolates – Aldol addition/condensation,
Knoevenagel condensation, Stobbe condensation, Claisen condensation, Mannich reaction,
Benzoin condensation and Perkin reaction.
Hydrolysis of esters and amides, Ammonolysis of esters.

Books Suggested:
1. Advanced Organic Chemistry; Jerry March, Fourth edition, Wiley & Sons, (2005).
2. Mechanisms in Organic Chemistry; Peter Sykes, Sixth edition, Pearson, (2004).
3. Organic Chemistry; Solomons & Fryhle, Eighth edition, Wiley & Sons, (2007).
4. Organic Chemistry; Clayden, Greeves, Warren and Wothers; Oxford University Press,
(2006).
5. Organic Chemistry; G. Marc Louden, Fourth edition, Oxford University Press, (2006).
6. Organic Chemistry; Paula Yurkanis Bruice, Third edition, Pearson, (2004).
7. Advanced Organic Chemistry; Francis A. Carey and Richard J. Sundberg, Part A & Part
B Fourth edition, Kluwer Academics/Plenum Publishers, (2001).
8. Reaction Mechanisms in Organic Chemistry; S. M. Mukherji & S. P. Singh, Macmillan,
(2004).
9. Organic Reactions, Stereochemistry and Mechanisms; P.S. Kalsi, Fourth edition, New
Age International Publishers, (2006).
10. Eliel, E. L. Stereochemistry of Carbon Compounds Textbook Publishers (2003).
11. Bruckner, R. Advanced organic chemistry Elsevier(2002).
12. Lowry, T. H. & Richardson, K. S. Mechanism and Theory in Organic Chemistry
Addison-Wesley Educational Publishers, Inc. (1981).

Here is the attachment.

Quick Reply
Your Username: Click here to log in