2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

3rd December 2014, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator

Re: ISI institute Kolkata entrance exam tips

Ok, ISI institute Kolkata accept GATE scores for admission in their M.Tech course so here I am providing you the GATE exam tips.

GATE exam tips

Solve objective type questions as much as possible.

While solving problems, students must have a balance between speed & accuracy.

Go through previous year papers (say last ten years), to check your knowledge and note the distribution of different topics.

Normally 3 to 4 months of serious study will be sufficient for the preparation.

Do preparation according to the exam pattern and syllabus

Here I am providing you the exam pattern.

GATE Exam pattern-

The GATE examination consists of a single paper of 3 hours duration which contains 65 questions carrying a maximum of 100 marks. The question paper will consist of only objective questions. In all the papers, there will be a total of 65 questions carrying 100 marks, out of which 10 questions carrying total of 15 marks are in General Aptitude (GA).

Types of Questions:

(i) Multiple choice questions carrying 1 or 2 marks each; Each of the multiple choice objective questions in all papers and sections will contain four answers, of which one correct answer is to be marked.

(ii) Common data questions (which are also multiple choice questions), where two successive questions use the same set of input data;

(iii) Linked answer questions (which are also multiple choice questions), where the answer to the first question in the pair is required to answer its successor;

(iv) Numerical answer questions, where the answer is a number, to be entered by the candidate using the mouse and a virtual keypad that will be provided on the screen. Numerical answer questions are only given in the online mode exams. The candidates writing the papers CS, EC, EE, IN, ME, and PI, have offline mode exam and do not face these questions.

Section Weightage: Engineering Mathematics will carry 15 % of the total marks, the General Aptitude section will carry 15 % of the total marks and the remaining 70 % of the total marks is devoted to the subject of the paper.

Marking

For 1 mark multiple choice questions, 1/3 mark will be deducted for a wrong answer. Likewise, for 2 marks multiple choice questions, 2/3 mark will be deducted for a wrong answer. However, for the linked answer question pair, where each question carries 2 marks, 2/3 mark will be deducted for a wrong answer to the first question only. There is no negative marking for wrong answer to the second question of the linked answer question pair. If the first question in the linked pair is wrongly answered or is unattempted, then the answer to the second question in the pair will not be evaluated. There is no negative marking for numerical answer type questions.

GATE Exam books

Quick Reply
Your Username: Click here to log in