2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

31st March 2020, 07:48 AM
Super Moderator

Re: Indian Institute of Technology CBS 60 Minutes Video

CBS 60 minutes: IIT is the Best School!

If you looking for the transcript of the CBS 60 Minutes on IIT, , please go to Links to read it and some other interesting material from media. Please come back here for analysis.

There is no need to repeat what CBS 60 minutes told about IITs and IITians. Similar stories have been presented in BusinessWeek, Salon.com, and other prestigious media outlets

Did CBS 60 minutes help IIT

It has been a matter of pride among Indians and especially IITians to hear and see themselves being praised so much. Especially the segment where the prestige of IITs in India is compared to the sum total of prestige of Harvard, Princeton and MIT.

Narayana Murthy on CBS 60 Minutes: Did he help

As to be expected out of Narayana Murthy, his purpose was to promote himself and to answer questions about his son going to Cornell. If his son really wanted to study Computer Science and could not get admission into one of the IITs, he could have tried for one of the many regional engineering schools, or some other science school in India studying computers or maths.
CBS 60 Minutes Story on IITs

While China, Korea are (potential) competititors (Japan is already one) and their natives could return to their countries to compete with the US companies, India does not pose any such threat. (India is not going to become developed by 2020, believe me.) Moreover, in this age of skilled labor shortage caused partly by reduced birth rates in the developed world

Timing of CBS 60 Minutes Airing

Moreover, the timing of these media stories, have led a few groups to charge that these are designed to influence the public and the lawmakers into accepting more H-1 visa quotas during time when American industry, especially the Silicon Valley, has high unemployment rates.
CBS 60 Minutes: Good or Bad for IIT

n my view, the harm caused by this program on the image of IIT and India, after the initial euphoria dies down, is trememdous. Vinod Khosla, Narayan Murthy et al were given a chance to promote India and IITs in a positive manner, but because of their own egos ("I was cruising") or agendas (my son went ot Cornell because of blah, blah, blah) they have hurt Indian, IIT and IITians.

Here i am giving link of video

cbsnews.com/news/imported-from-india/

Quick Reply
Your Username: Click here to log in