2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

15th April 2016, 10:22 AM
Unregistered

Ims tmj

Sir I am experiencing TMJ since a week so I want to know that do I need to have the intramuscular stimulation (IMS)? What is the process to get rid of this so can you tell me the details
15th April 2016, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

Re: Ims tmj

Hey buddy If you are experiencing TMJ or jaw pain, you may be a candidate for intramuscular stimulation (IMS). IMS is a fast and effective way to treat your jaw pain.

TMJ Dysfunction is a complex group of problems encompassing both the Temporomandibular joint and Cervical spine.

The Physiotherapists have extensive post-graduate training and demonstrated success in resolving TMJ dysfunction.

TMJ pain occurs as a result of problems with the jaw joint and surrounding facial muscles that control chewing and moving your jaw.

Injuries to the jaw or upper neck, arthritis, and teeth grinding are common causes.

Often, the disc inside the TMJ joint can be the specific source of noise and pain in the jaw.

The disc has a muscle attached to it which controls the disc’s movement on the bones when you open and close your jaw.

If the muscle is in a state of spasm, it can pull on the disc and throw the movement out of alignment, producing pain and discomfort while yawning or eating hard foods.

Treatment

Treatments for the jaw involve relaxing the muscle that is pulling on the disc.

One approach could involve your primary health provider sticking his/her hands in your mouth to release muscle spasm.

Another, approach is IMS.

IMS involves inserting a thin acupuncture needle into the muscle (on the outside of the jaw, not through the mouth!).

This triggers the muscle to contract at 100% which is followed by a 100% relaxation.

With the muscles completely relaxed, they “reset” and stop pulling on the disc, having an almost immediate reduction in pain.

Quick Reply
Your Username: Click here to log in