2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

4th June 2015, 01:12 PM
Unregistered

IIT Roorkee EPMA

What is the full form of EPMA in IIT Roorkee? I am looking for information about EPMA, so some one is here, who can provide me full information. Can I search for this on the official website of IIT Roorkee? If yes, give me official website with steps to reach on that web page where I can get following details.
Similar Threads
Thread
IIT Roorkee PPT
DPT IIT Roorkee
IIT Roorkee UP
Roorkee Railway Station to IIT Roorkee
When Did Roorkee Become IIT
University of Roorkee (IIT Roorkee)
IIT Roorkee SEM
IIT Roorkee for MCA
Map of IIT Roorkee
MOU IIT Roorkee
IIT Roorkee Act
IIT Roorkee Jam
IIT Roorkee NRI
IIT Roorkee GD PI
Distance Between Roorkee Station To IIT Roorkee
SBI IIT Roorkee
IIT Roorkee ECE
CSE IIT Roorkee
Roorkee bus stand to IIT Roorkee
IIT Roorkee Roorkee India
5th March 2020, 06:57 PM
Unregistered

Re: IIT Roorkee EPMA

Can you provide me the details of the Electron Probe Micro-Analysis (EPMA) of Institute Instrumentation Centre of IITR (Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee)?
5th March 2020, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator

Re: IIT Roorkee EPMA

Electron Probe Micro-Analysis (EPMA) works by bombarding a micro-volume of a sample with a focused electron beam (typical energy = 5-30 KeV) and collecting the X-ray photons thereby emitted by the various elemental species.

Because the wavelengths of these X-rays are characteristic of the produce species, the sample composition is easily identified by recording WDS spectra (Wavelength Dispersive Spectroscopy). WDS spectrometers are based on the Bragg's law and use various moveable, shaped mono crystals as mono chromators.

EPMA is a fully qualitative and quantitative method of non-destructive elemental analysis of micron-sized volumes at the surface of materials, with sensitivity at the level of ppm.

Routine quantification to 1% reproducibility is obtained over several days. It is the most precise and accurate micro-analysis technique available and all elements from B to U and above can be analyzed. EPMA is fully compatible with routine analysis sessions, with easy and direct interpretation of the results.

EPMA instruments are equipped with a complete kit of built-in microscopy tools that allow concurrent X-ray (WDS), SEM and BSE imaging, plus sophisticated visible light optics; they provide very flexible sample inspection with image magnification ranging from 40 to 400,000.

Major applications are found in geochemistry, mineralogy, geochronology, physical metallurgy, and nuclear metallurgy, materials science including glass, ceramics, superconductors, cements, microelectronics, and biochemistry.

EPMA provides much better results than standard SEM/EDS systems. Because of the internal properties of WDS, the general sensitivity, analysis of light elements and risks of erroneous interpretation of qualitative spectra are all superior with EPMA.

Spectral resolution and detector dead time are much better than EDS (Energy Dispersive Spectroscopy). The excitation beam regulation system and sophisticated sample stage capabilities guarantee that this technique provides outstanding stability and measurement repeatability.

General Information-

Make-
CAMECA

Model-
SX100

Year of Installation-

Specification-

Accelerating Voltage:
0.2 to 40 Kv

Beam Current:
10-5 to 10-12 A

Beam Diameter:
0.6µm at 15kV and 100nA

WDS:
4 No. WDS with crystal LiF, PET, TAP, PC0 (2d=4.5nm), PC1 (2d=6nm), PC2 (2d=9.5nm)

Spectrometer range (0.22 to 0.83)
Sin theta with a resolution of 10-5 sin-theta

Electron Gun:
Tungsten Filament

SEM Image Magnification:
150X to 400,000X

BSE Image:
Spatial resolution 0.1 atomic number unit at Z 29

Sample Stage:
Stage movement for X axis= 50mm, Y-axis = 80mm and Z axis=1.5mm with a resolution of 0.1µm.

Quick Reply
Your Username: Click here to log in