2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

19th July 2012, 02:52 PM
hassan

IAS Vs MBA

Which path is better after completing B.Tech, MBA or IAS? I am bit confused whether to go for MBA or to go for preparing for IAS. Please help me out.
21st July 2012, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator

Re: IAS Vs MBA

First of all you should decide whether you want to go for higher studies or you want to do a job because both the courses are better and there are very bright futures in both the courses.

If you are interested in higher studies then join MBA program. Similarly if you are interested in doing job you can go for IAS job. If you have interest in Social Services/Civil Services, You should become a I.A.S Officer and to become IAS officer you should appear for Civil service exam conducted by UPSC.

Also there are many entrance exams for admission in MBA program like:
CAT
MAT
SNAP
IIFT
FMS
I-CET
XAT etc...

IF you can get prepared for IAS, for my opinion you should go for IAS. Otherwise it totally depends on your choice and interest.
2nd December 2015, 11:44 AM
Unregistered

Please help me in deciding whether IAS is a better career option or an MBA from one of the IIMs?
2nd December 2015, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

The decision purely rests with the individual as he is the only one to decide on what his career aspirations are as well as what are his career goals.
Here below I have given comparisons on few parameters which might help you decide the better option:

1. Money: An IIM guy earns lot of money to make his life relaxing, but an IAS officer already gets all the conveniences so he doesn’t need that much of money. ie: an IAS can go abroad for higher studies (paid by government), lots of foreign trips etc.. Anyways happiness and satisfaction is more important than money.

2. Metro life: IAS officers are invited to be present at VIP parties and big functions both in and outside the country; an IIM guy doesn’t get a great deal of attention. Its true that IAS officers get remote working places in the beginning of the career but i think that’s the best part of an IAS officer they get a chance to work every where ranging from remotest area to the majority happening place of the country. It just depends on how you look at it. Anyways multiplexes, pubs, discos can only give u temporary happiness.

3. Political Pressure: That's a part of life and unavoidable. Even an IIM guy has a lot of weight from his boss, client, market force, economy, competitors etc. Political pressure is universally directly or indirectly involved.

4. Self-determining, thinking and innovation: Many senior IAS officers get a post of CEO, head of departments, board members, advisers etc. of public/ public-private firms. Even an IIM may get the post of CEO at some point.

5. An IAS has a authority to change peoples life just by doing his duty. He can help many people (even unknowingly) and can multiply happiness and contribute a lot in building up a great nation. But an IIM guy can assist only his family ,friends and maybe his environment.

6. Diversity: An IIM guy does same type of employment all his life and is delimited by people of same type/intellect. But an IAS officer gets diverse posts, new challenges and work with high rank intellectuals.

Quick Reply
Your Username: Click here to log in