2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

23rd February 2016, 11:13 AM
Unregistered

How to Become Cartoonist

Hello sir, I am Richie Rich. I am from New York. I want to be a cartoonist. Can you help me by providing me with the information that how to become a cartooninst?
23rd February 2016, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

Re: How to Become Cartoonist

As you have asked about the ways to become a cartoonist, check below for the information

There’s no set career path for becoming a cartoonist, and the requirements vary just as much as the venues in which cartoonists work

A college education can help you connect to other cartoonists in your field, give you valuable professional experience through internships, and an opportunity to learn the latest technologies used by cartoonists. College or art school will also give you the opportunity to study valuable skills you might need in running your own business

Prepare a portfolio. Most art schools have their own requirements for compiling and submitting a portfolio, but they generally have to include 10-20 pieces of your best work

Prepare to attend art school in high school
Apply to college. You might consider going to a university with an acclaimed school or art major within it, or you could also consider an art college to study.

Take a variety of courses. While you may know that becoming a cartoonist is your ultimate goal, consider specializing in broad areas, like Multimedia art and animation.

Expand your portfolio. While your coursework will add significantly to your portfolio, continue to seek out freelance opportunities with other clients while you are in college.

Learn important skills. A cartoonist is often not just tasked with creating a drawing using pencil and paper.specialize in some of the following skills or professional roles:[15]

Pencil work
Colorist
Designing letter work for comic books
Ink work

Get a valuable internship or apprenticeship
Create an on-line space for your work. While your physical portfolio will be required for most job interviews, an accessible on-line space can also be attractive to employers.

Contact production studios. If you are interested in the process of storyboarding -- or pairing images with text to create a story -- then film and video games studio can use your expertise

Become active in your local artistic community. Attend openings of galleries, exhibitions, conferences and lectures that apply to your field
Join the National Cartoonists Society. As a professional network of cartoonists, membership in this group can help you meet mentors and develop more artistic connections

Quick Reply
Your Username: Click here to log in