2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

11th March 2016, 01:53 PM
Unregistered

Grow Cumin

Sir I want to grow the Cumin in my back yard so can you please tell me that how can I do the same
11th March 2016, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Grow Cumin

hey the Cumin, sometimes spelled cummin, is a flowering plant in the family Apiaceae, native from the east Mediterranean to India. Its seeds are used in the cuisines of many different cultures, in both whole and ground form

Scientific name: Cuminum cyminum

Cumin is sown in the spring from seed in rows 2 feet apart in fertile, well draining soil or, in cooler climates, start seed indoors four weeks prior to the last spring frost.

Sow shallowly, about ¼-inch below the soil surface.

Keep the seeds moist during germination

Cumin seed is harvested by hand after the bloom of the small white or pink flowers. Seeds are harvested when they brown — about 120 days – and are then dried and ground.

The strong aroma and distinct flavor of cumin is due to its essential oils.

Like all herbs, it is at its height in the morning and should be harvested at that time.

Uses of cumin

Ground cumin is an essential spice in curry powder and is found in Indian, Vietnamese and Thai foods.

Many Latino recipes call for the use of cumin; and in the United States, many a chili recipe includes cumin.

In India, cumin is a traditional ingredient in not only curry, but kormas, masalas, soups and other recipes.

Cumin can even be found in some cheeses, like Leyden cheese, as well as some French breads

Quick Reply
Your Username: Click here to log in