2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

4th December 2012, 12:48 PM
siddhant thool214

Gateway of India History

Sir I need the Gateway of India History so please can you give me the Gateway of India History and provide me the page where I can download the History of the Gateway of India?
Similar Threads
Thread
BPP CIMA MBA Gateway
MBA Gateway CIMA
History of MBA Education in India
Oil India Ltd History
About ONGC India History
Timeline History Of India
History of India for Kids
Gateway School Chennai OMR
Devereux Gateway School
Gateway Anna University
Gateway school of Mumbai
MBA gateway
Gateway To Mobility SSC
The Gateway School Chennai
Agriculture Gateway Schools
SF Gateway School
Colleges of MA History in India
Gateway School Gilroy
RBI history in India
GATEWAY of India wallpaper
12th April 2018, 08:21 PM
Unregistered

Re: Gateway of India History

Can you provide me some history of the Monument - Gateway of India located in the city of Mumbai in the state of Maharashtra?
12th April 2018, 08:22 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Gateway of India History

The Gateway of India is one of India's most unique landmarks situated in the city of Mumbai. The colossal structure was constructed in 1924. The monument has also been referred to as the Taj Mahal of Mumbai and is the city's top tourist attraction.

History

The Gateway of India was built to honour the visit of King George V and Queen Mary to Mumbai, prior to the Delhi Durbar in December 1911. However, they only got to see a cardboard model of the monument, since the construction did not begin till 1915.

The foundation stone was laid on March 31, 1913 by the governor of Bombay, Sir George Sydenham Clarke with the final design of George Wittet sanctioned on March 31, 1914.

The land on which the Gateway was built on was previously a crude jetty, used by the fishing community which was later renovated and used as a landing place for British governors and other prominent people.

Between 1915 and 1919, work proceeded at Apollo Bundar (Port) to reclaim the land on which the gateway and the new sea wall would be built. The foundations were completed in 1920 and construction was finished in 1924. The gateway was opened on December 4, 1924 by the Viceroy, the Earl of Reading.

The last British troops to leave India following Indias independence, the First Battalion of the Somerset Light Infantry, passed through the Gateway on their way out in a ritual on February 28, 1948, signalling the end of British rule.

General Information

Type Triumphal arch

Architectural style Indo-Saracenic

Location Mumbai, Maharashtra

Coordinates 18.9219N 72.8346E

Elevation 10 m (33 ft)

Construction started 31 March 1913

Completed 1924

Inaugurated 4 December 1924

Cost ₹ 2.1 million (1913)

Owner Archaeological Survey of India

Height 26 m (85 ft)