2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

6th August 2015, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator

Re: FYBSC CS syllabus Mumbai University

As you want to get the B.SC Computer Science syllabus of 5th year of University of Mumbai so here is the information of the same for you:

Paper I
Computer Organization
Introduction to Microprocessors and Computer Architecture Theory
Section I
Unit I:
Introduction:
Computers:

History of computers and their classification

Basics of Modern Computer Systems:

View of a computer as an integrated system, Neumann machine, block diagram of a computer system.

Information:
Definition, Characteristics and interpretation, Data and its logical and physical concepts, binary form of program and instruction.

Number Systems:
Binary, Decimal, Octal, Hexadecimal and their interconversions

Computer Arithmetic:
Binary addition and subtraction using signed Magnitude, 1’s complement and 2’s complement, Binary multiplication and division, Floating point representation and arithmetic, arithmetic through stacks.

Codes for Character Representation
Hexadecimal, BCD, Excess-3, Gray code, ASCII, EBCDIC, Unicode.

Unit II:
Digital Logic Circuits:
Boolean Algebra

Basic identities of Boolean Algebra, Boolean function Logic Gates – AND, OR, NOT, NOR, NAND, EX-OR EX-NOR operations and their truth table, Minimization of gates by K-maps.

Digital Circuits:
Half Adder, Full Adder, Binary adder-subtractor, binary incrementer, Multiplexers, Encoder and decoder

Flip Flops:
Concept of sequential circuits, concept of clock and synchronization, S-R, J-K, Preset and Clear, Master-Slave J-K, D, T Flip Flops, their truth tables and identities, Conversion from one type to another type of Flip Flop, concept of counters and registers, shift registers.

Unit III:
Introduction to computer components:
Memory:
Primary Memory – RAM, SRAM, DRAM, ROM, EPROM.
Secondary Memory – Magnetic Floppy and Hard Disk.
Optical Memory – CDROM, WORM.
Concept of Virtual Memory
Concept of Cache and their need.
Memory hierarchy.

Input/Output Devices:
Input/output devices, input/output interface, asynchronous data transfer, modes of data transfer..

CPU:

Functions of CPU, register classification and organization, instruction sets and examples of instruction set, addressing schemes, instruction formats, instruction cycle and instruction pipelining.

Section II:
Unit IV:

Internal Memory Organization:
DRAM, SRAM, ROM types, Cache Memory Principles, elements of cache design, Pentium 4 cache.

External Memory organization:

Magnetic disk, RAID, Optical memory, Magnetic tape

Input/Output Device Organization:
External devices, I/O modules, Concepts of programmed I/O, interrupt Drive I/O, DMA, I/O processors.

Unit V:
Operating System Support:

Basic Concepts, Batch, Multiprogramming and Time-Sharing, scheduling, scheduling, Memory Management.

Introduction to Multiprocessors:

Characteristics of Multiprocessors, Time-Shared Bus, Multi-port memory.

Unit VI:
Introduction and programming with Microprocessors:
Introduction to 8085 Architecture and its extension to architecture to 8086, functional block diagram, Bus interface unit, Execution unit, general purpose registers, segment registers, pointers and index registers basic instruction set and organization of 8086,. 8086 Assembly language programming.

Paper II
Algorithms and Programming in C Theory
Section I
UNIT I: INTRODUCTION TO ALGORITMS AND C
Fundamentals of Algorithms:

Notion of an algorithm. Pseudo-code conventions like assignment statements and basic control structures.

Algorithmic Problems:
Develop fundamental algorithms for (i) Exchange the values of two variables with and without temporary variable, (ii) Counting positive numbers from a set of integers, (iii) Summation of set of numbers, (iv) Reversing the digits of an integer, (v) Find smallest positive divisor of an integer other then 1, (vi) Find G.C.D. and L.C.M. of two as well as three positive integers, (vii) Generating prime numbers.

Analysis of Algorithms:
Running time of an algorithm, worst and average case analysis.

Different approaches in programming:
Procedural approach, Object Oriented approach, Event Driven approach.

Structure of C:
Header and body, Use of comments, Compilation of a program.

Data Concepts:
Variables, Constants, data types like: int, float char, double and void.

Qualifiers:
Short and long size qualifiers, signed and unsigned qualifiers. Declaring variables. Scope of the variables according to block. Hierarchy of data types.

UNIT II: BASICS OF C
Types of Operators:

Arithmetic, Relational, Logical, Compound Assignment, Increment and decrement, Conditional or ternary, Bitwise and Comma operators. Precedence and order of evaluation. Statements and Expressions.

Type Conversions:
Automatic and Explicit type conversion.

Data Input and Output Functions:
Formatted I/O: printf(), scanf(). Character I/O format: getch(), getche(), getchar(), getc(), gets(), putchar(), putc(), puts().

Iterations:
Control statements for decision making: (i) Branching: if statement, else.. if statement, switch statement. (ii) Looping: while loop, do.. while, for loop. (iii) Jump statements: break, continue and goto

UNIT III: ARRAYS, STRINGS AND SORTING TECHNIQUES
Arrays:

(One and multidimensional), declaring array variables, initialization of arrays, accessing array elements.

Strings:
Declaring and initializing String variables. Character and string handling functions.

Sorting Algorithms:

Bubble, Selection, Insertion and Merge sort, Efficiency of algorithms, Implement using C.

Section II
UNIT IV: FUNCTIONS, STRUCTURES, RECURSION AND UNION (15 Lectures)
Functions:

Global and local variables, Function definition, return statement, Calling a function by value, Macros in C, Difference between functions and macros.

Storage Classes:
Automatic variables, External variables, Static variables, Register variables.

Recursion:
Definition, Recursion functions algorithms for factorial, Fibonacci sequence, Tower of Hanoi. Implement using C.

Structure:
Declaration of structure, reading and assignment of structure variables, Array of structures, arrays within structures, structures within structures, structures and functions

Unions:
Defining and working with union.

UNIT V: POINTERS AND FILE HANDLING
Pointer:
Fundamentals, Pointer variables, Referencing and de-referencing, Pointer Arithmetic, Chain of pointers, Pointers and Arrays, Pointers and Strings, Array of Pointers, Pointers as function arguments, Functions returning pointers, Pointer to function, Pointer to structure, Pointers within structure.

File Handling:
Different types of files like text and binary, Different types of functioms:fopen(), fclose(), fgetc(), fputc(), fgets(), fputs(), fscanf(), fprintf(), getw(), putw(), fread(), fwrite(), fseek()

Dynamic Memory Allocation:
Malloc(), calloc(), realloc(), free() and sizeof operator,

UNIT VI: LINK LISTS, STACKS AND QUEUES
Linear Link lists:

Representation of link list in memory, Algorithms for traversing a link list, searching a particular node in a link list, insertion into link list (insertion at the beginning of a node, insertion after a given node), deletion from a link list. Implement using C.

Stacks:
Definition, Array representation of stacks, Algorithms for basic operators to add and delete an element from the stack, Implement using C.

Queues:
Representation of queue, Algorithm for insertion and deletion of an element in a queue, Implement using C.

Contact Details:
University of Mumbai
CST Road,
Kalina,
Santacruz East
Mumbai,
Maharashtra 400098
India

Map Location:
[MAP]University of Mumbai Maharashtra [/MAP]

14th December 2015, 08:19 AM
Unregistered

Hello sir I want to know syllabus of first year BSC in CS of Mumbai University so here can you please give me details ?
14th December 2015, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator

Hey as The University of Mumbai is one of the first three state universities in India and the oldest in Maharashtra. It is abbreviated as "MU" for Mumbai University.

Syllabus of first year BSC in CS

Semester 1

Fundamentals of Computer Organization & Embedded System

Introduction to programming using Python

Practical of USCS101 + USCS10

Semester 2

Introduction to Database Management Systems

Advanced Programming using Python

Practical of USCS201 + USCS202

Other Department of science

Department of Atmospheric Science
Department of Biotechnology