2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

8th September 2015, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Distance Education in Nagpur University

The Nagpur University is known as Rashtrasant Tukadoji Maharaj Nagpur University.

It offers a wide range of Programs in following faculties:

Faculty of Art/Faculty of Social Science
Faculty of Medicine
Faculty of Education
Faculty of Ayurveda
Faculty of Science
Faculty of Home Science
Faculty of Engineering & Technology
Faculty of Law
Faculty of Commerce

As you want to do B.SC Biotechnology Program in Distance Education mode from this University, so i want to inform you that this University does not offer following Course in Distance Mode.

The Nagpur University does not offer any course in Distance Education Mode.

So here I am providing syllabus of B.SC Biotechnology Program (Full Time) for your reference:

Nagpur University B.Sc Biotechnology (Full Time) Program
Semester I - PAPER I
MICROBIOLOGY

UNIT I History, Development and Microscopy History and development of microbiology: contributions of Louis Pasteur, Robert Koch and Edward Jenner. Microscopy: Compound microscopy: Numerical aperture and its importance, resolving power, oil immersion objectives and their significance, principles and applications of dark field, phase contrast, fluorescent microscopy. Electron microscopy: Principle, ray diagram and applications, TEM and SEM, comparison between optical and electron microscope, limitations of electron microscopy. Stains and staining procedures: Acidic, basic and neutral stains, Gram staining, Acid fast staining, Flagella staining, Endospore staining.

UNIT II Bacteria: Bacterial morphology and subcellular structures, general morphology of bacteria, shapes and sizes, generalized diagram of typical bacterial cell. Slime layer and capsule, difference between the structure, function and the position of the two structures. Cell wall of gram +ve and Gram -ve cells. General account of flagella and fimbriae. Chromatin material, plasmids; definition and kind of plasmids (conjugative and non-conjugative) F, R, and Col plasmids. Endospores: Detailed study of endospore structure and its formation, germination, basis of resistance.

UNIT III A. A brief idea Bergey’s manual. Morphology of archaea, archaeal cell membrane (differences between bacterial and archaeal cell membrane), other cell structures, concept of the three distinct archaea groups. B. Viruses: General characteristics of viruses, difference between virus and typical microbial cell, structure, different shapes and symmetries with one example of each type, classification of viruses on the basis of nucleic acids, phage and animal cell viruses, example of each and their importance. Brief idea of lytic cycle and lysogeny.

UNIT IV Nutrition: Basic nutritional requirements: Basic idea of such nutrients as water, carbon, nitrogen, sulfur and vitamins etc., natural and synthetic media, nutritional classification of bacteria. Selective and Differential media, Enriched media, Enrichment media.

PAPER II (MACROMOLEULES)

UNIT I Nucleic Acids Chemical structure and base composition of nucleic acids, Chargaff's rules, Watson Crick Model (B-DNA), deviations from Watson-Crick model, other forms of DNA (A- and Z-DNA), forces stabilizing nucleic acid structures, (hydrogen bonds and hydrophobic associations, base stacking). Maxam and Gilbert DNA sequencing, structure of t-RNA.

UNIT II Chromosomes, Concept of Genes and Nucleosomes Concept of prokaryotic genes and eukaryotic genes: Definition of a gene, concept of split genes, introns, exons, spacers, C-value and C-value paradox, basic idea of Cot curves. Chromatin structure: Nucleosome structure (10 nm fibre, experiments leading to discovery of nucleosomal structure, types of histones, arrangement of histones in the octamer, H1 histone and its role, role and length of linker DNA), 30 nm fibers (arrangement of nucleosome in a helical structure), domain and loop structure (further compacting of 30 nm fibre, role of scaffolding proteins). Role of telomere and centromere, telomeric and centromeric repeat sequences.

Tags
distance education

Quick Reply
Your Username: Click here to log in