2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

17th March 2016, 11:17 AM
Unregistered

The Constitution Assembly

Hello sir, I am Sukumar. I am from Varanasi. I want you to help me by giving me some information about the Constitution Assembly of India. Can you give me some details about it?
Similar Threads
Thread
Karunya University Assembly
Constitution of National Housing Bank
TNPSC Indian Constitution
Important Articles Of Indian Constitution For APPSC
56th ICET World Assembly
PTU Assembly
Viiith Schedule To The Constitution (Qualifying Paper)
Constitution of India and Planning in India book
17th March 2016, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

Re: The Constitution Assembly

As you have asked about the Constitution Assembly of India, I am giving you information about it
A constituent assembly or constitutional assembly is a body or assembly of representatives composed for the purpose of drafting or adopting a constitution.
As the fundamental document constituting a state, a constitution cannot normally be modified or amended by the state's normal legislative procedures; instead a constituent assembly, the rules for which are normally laid down in the constitution, must be set up.

Unlike forms of constitution-making in which a constitution is unilaterally imposed by a sovereign lawmaker, the constituent assembly creates a constitution through “internally imposed” actions, in that members of the constituent assembly are themselves citizens, but not necessarily the rulers, of the country for which they are creating a constitution.

The Constituent Assembly of India was elected to write the Constitution of India, and served as its first Parliament as an independent nation.

It was set up as a result of negotiations between the leaders of the Indian independence movement and members of the British Cabinet Mission.

The constituent assembly was elected indirectly by the members of the Provincial legislative assembly, which existed under the British Raj. It first met on December 9, 1946, in Delhi. On August 15, 1947, India became an independent nation, and the Constituent Assembly started functioning as India's Parliament.

Dr. Ambedkar drafted the Constitution of India in conjunction with the requisite deliberations and debates in the Constituent Assembly. The Assembly approved the Constitution on November 26, 1949 (celebrated as Constitution Day), and it took effect on January 26, 1950 — a day now commemorated as Republic Day in India. Once the Constitution took effect, the Constituent Assembly became the Provisional Parliament of India.

(It was "provisional" until the first elections under the new Constitution took place, in 1952. The whole process took 2 years,11 months and 18 days from start to finish.

Quick Reply
Your Username: Click here to log in