2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

18th May 2018, 04:05 PM
Unregistered

Re: Centre for Applied Genetics Bangalore University

Can you provide me the syllabus of Semester I of the Master of Science (Applied Genetics) program offered by Bangalore University, Mysore?
18th May 2018, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Centre for Applied Genetics Bangalore University

The syllabus of Semester I of the Master of Science (Applied Genetics) program offered by Bangalore University, Mysore is as follows:

THEORY SYLLABUS
I SEMESTER

PAPER-HCT-101: CELL BIOLOGY
UNIT I
Membrane systems and organelles:
Plasma membrane: Structure and chemical composition: Fluid-mosaic model. Transport across membranes: Diffusion, active transport, co-transport and bulk transport, Membrane potentials resting potential and types of propagation of action potentials, liposomes.

Cell organelles: Structure, composition and functions of cell organelles:
Endoplasmic reticulum, Golgi complex, Lysosomes, Mitochondria, Chloroplast and nucleus

UNIT II
Cellular interactions and their environment:
Interaction of cells with non-cellular substrates: The extra cellular space, the extracellular matrix, collagens, proteoglycans, fibronectin, laminin and other proteins, Integrins, focal adhesions and hemidesmosomes.
Interactions of cells with other cells: Selectin, immunoglobulin super family and integrin super family, cadherins, Junctions: tight junctions, gap junctions and desmosomes, Plasmodesmata.
Cell signaling: Communication between cells and their environment, basic characteristics, second messengers and G protein-complex-coupled receptors, role of calcium as a second messenger, receptor tyrosine kinases, MAP kinase cascade.

UNIT III
DNA and its replication:
Chemical nature of the gene- structure of DNA, mechanism of DNA replication in prokaryotes and eukaryotes Non-coding DNA, DNA constancy and C value paradox, mobile genetic elements

Expression of genome:
Transcription: Prokaryotic and eukaryotic transcription, RNA polymerases, general and specific transcription factors, post-transcriptional modifications in RNA( 5' cap formation) transcription termination, poly-adenylation, RNA splicing, Ribozymes, antisense RNA.
Translation: Prokaryotic and Eukaryotic translation, mechanism of initiation, elongation and termination. Co- translational and post-translational modifications of proteins

UNIT IV
Tools of Genetic engineering:
Restriction enzymes, methylases, polymerases, reverse transcriptase, terminal transferase, ligase, kinases and phosphatases. Cloning vectors: plasmids, phages, cosmids, phagemids, viruses and artificial chromosomes Expression vectorsclassification, isolation, purification, salient features and their advantages
Recombination DNA technology: Introduction of recombinant DNAtransformation, transduction, transfection, electroporation, biolistics, microinjection, agronfection, liposome fusion. Application of recombinant DNA technology and Transgenic animals.

REFERENCES
1 Alberts, B., Bray, D., Lewis, J., Raff, M., Roberts, K. & Watson, J.D., 1996 Molecular Biology of Cell, II Ed., Garland Pub. Inc. N.Y.
2 Lodish, H., Berk, A., Zipuosky, L.S., Matsudaira, P., Baltimore, D. & Darnell, J., 2001 Molecular Cell Biology IV Ed., W.H. Freeman & Company.
3 Gilbert, S.F., 1988. Developmental Biology, Sinauer Associates Inc
4 Wilson, E.B. Cell in Development and Inheritance, Mac Millan, N.Y
5 Celis, J.E (Ed.), 1998 Cell Biology: A Laboratory Hand Book Vol. I & II, Academic Press
6 J.Darnell, H.Lodish & D.Baltimore Molecular Cell Biology, Scientific American Books, Inc., USA.
7 Cooper, G.M., 1997. The Cell: A Molecular Approach, Sinauer Associates Inc.
8 Lewin B., 1997 Genes VIII, Oxford University Press, Oxford, N.Y. & Tokyo
9 Garrett & Grisha., 1994 Molecular Aspects of Cell Biology, Sounders, N.Y
10 Karp G., 1999 Cell and Molecular Biology, II Ed., John Wiley & Sons, N.Y

Quick Reply
Your Username: Click here to log in