2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

18th August 2015, 10:48 AM
Unregistered

CDS Example

what is credit default swap (CDS) products , and how it is works can you tell me with an example , as my one friends want to get info related to it ??
18th August 2015, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

Re: CDS Example

As you and your friend want to know about credit default swap (CDS) , so I am telling you about the same , actually credit default swap (CDS) is protects lenders in the event of default on the part of the borrower by transferring the associated risk in return for periodic income payments.

In a CDS (credit default swap), two counterparties exchange the risk of default associated with a loan (e.g. a bond or other fixed-income security) for periodic income payments throughout the life of the loan. In the event that the borrowing party (the issuer) does default, the insuring counterparty agrees to pay the lender (bondholder) the par value in addition to lost interest. The bondholder (lender) seeks protection against the risk that the issuing company (borrower) might default. The insuring counterparty hedges that the issuing company will not default, and will ultimately profit from the income payments without having to compensate the bondholder for the par value and remaining interest.

To illustrate, suppose Bob holds a 10-year bond issued by company XYZ with a par value of $1,000 and a coupon interest amount of $100 each year. Fearful that XYZ will default on its bond obligations, Bob enters into a CDS with Steve and agrees to pay him income payments of $20 (similar to an insurance premium) each year commensurate with the annual interest payments on the bond. In return, Steve agrees to pay Bob the $1,000 par value of the bond in addition to any remaining interest on the bond ($100 multiplied by the number of years remaining). If XYZ fulfills its obligation on the bond through maturity after 10 years, Steve will make a profit on the annual $20 payments.

Quick Reply
Your Username: Click here to log in