2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

23rd August 2015, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Calicut University UG Syllabus

As you want I am here giving you syllabus for bachelor of in Economics course of Calicut University.

Syllabus :
Semester I

Micro economics - I
Micro economic theory presents some of the basic analytical techniques or tools of analysis
of economics. It has been one of the most important courses in all economics business curricula.
This Course is designed to provide basic understanding of the behavior of individual
economic agents – Consumer, Producer. It will introduce the students the basic ideas and tools that
will be utilized throughout I the other courses of the degree programme.

Module I: Introduction to Micro Eonomics – Nature and scope of micro economics –
Microeconomic models and methodology – Positive and normative analysis -
induction and deduction, Value judgements.

Module II : Price Determination in a Competitive Market - Demand, supply and equilibrium
- Market demand curve –market supply curve – Change in Market Equilibrium –
Functions of prices - changes in demand and supply – Extention and contraction in
demand - Increase and Decrease in demand - Elasticity of demand and supply - Price
Elasticity of demand – Point and Arc method – Price elasticity and total expenditure
– Factors determining price elasticity - TR, MR and price Elasticity – Income
elasticity and its interpretation- Cross elasticity - substitutes and complementary
goods

Module III: Theory of consumer behavior – Utility - Cardinal Versus Ordinal utility –
Consumer Equilibrium under cardinal utility - Consumer behavior under ordinal
utility - assumptions – Indifference curve - properties - MRS – Equilibrium of the
consumer under ordinal utility – Budget constraints - Budget line - Income effect -
Engel curve - Normal good; inferior good – Consumer‘s response to price changes -
Price effect and utility maximization – Derivation of individual demand curve for
normal good – Decomposition of Price effect into income effect and substitution
effect – Hicksian and Slutsky‘s methods – Normal, inferior and Giffen goods –
Application of Indifference Curves - Theory of Revealed Preference – Revealed
Preference axiom - Consumer surplus - Marshall and Hicks.
Assignment/Seminar Topic-
Evaluation of alternate Government policies by using indifference curve analysis

Module IV: Theory of Production –Production Function-short run versus long run production
function – TP, AP, MP and their interrelationships - Production with one variable
input - Law of variable proportions - Production with two variable input - Returns to
scale - Iso-quants - properties - MRTS – Elasticity of substitution - Isocost line –
Least cost input combination - Producer‘s equilibrium - Expansion path and long run
cost curves – Cobb-Douglas production function (concept only)

Here is the attachment.

Address:

University of Calicut
Calicut University, Calicut
Malappuram, Kerala 673635

[MAP]University of Calicut Malappuram, Kerala[/MAP]
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BA economics syllabus.pdf (1.59 MB, 171 views)

Quick Reply
Your Username: Click here to log in