2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Jobs

3rd September 2018, 08:01 AM
Unregistered

Re: Calcutta University EVS Syllabus

Can you provide me the Syllabus for 3 -year Degree Course - BSc (Honours) in Environmental Science Program offered by University of Calcutta?
3rd September 2018, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator

Re: Calcutta University EVS Syllabus

The Syllabus for 3 -year Degree Course - BSc (Honours) in Environmental Science Program offered by University of Calcutta is as follows:

PART I
Paper I (Theoretical)
GROUP A: 50 Marks

UNIT I : Fundamentals of Environment (Marks : 25; Lectures 25)
I. Concept of Environment and Ecology: Definition, Types and Components of Environment
(Atmosphere, Hydrosphere, Lithosphere and Biosphere); History and definition of Ecology; Scopes and Objective of Environmental and Ecological science; Man Environment relationships; Growth of environmental and Ecological science in India; Environmental history a brief account; Environmental ethics and awareness; Environmental literacy (formal and non-formal education); Environmentalism; Ecofeminism, Green concept in politics; Environmental Organisations at National and International level.

II. Current Global Environmental Issues: Green House effect, Climate change, North South conflict, Acid deposition, Desertification, Ozone layer depletion, El Nino phenomena, ENSO.

UNIT II : Physico-chemical principles of Environment (Marks : 25; Lectures 25)
I. Basics of General Chemistry: Molecular weight; Equivalent Weight; Molarity; Normality; Valency; Oxidation state and bonding; Oxidation and Reduction Reactions; Introduction to Periodic table.
II. Basics of Chemical Equilibrium and Kinetics: Stoichiometry; Chemical equilibrium; Gibbs energy; Chemical Potential; Acid-base reactions (acidity, alkalinity, buffer and buffer capacity); Solubility product; Complexation of metal ions and organic complexes in natural water.
III. Water Chemistry: Fundamentals of water quality. Concept of BOD, COD, Hardness, Carbonatebicarbonate system, Basic concept of colloid chemistry Principles of sedimentation, coagulation
IV. Air Chemistry: Classification of elements, particles, ions and radicals in the atmosphere; Chemical process for formation of inorganic and organic particulate matters in air. Air pollutants as gaseous and particulates such as CO2, O3 , SOx, NOx, Flyash, PM-10, PM-2.5, VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds), PAHs (Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons), Peroxyacetyl nitrate (PAN) and Photochemical smog. Ozone chemistry
V. Thermodynamics: Concept of System. First and second law of thermodynamics; Entropy; Enthalpy, Free energy; Chemical potential; Heat transfer process; Mass and energy transfer across the various interfaces; Material balance;
VI. Meteorology: Concept of atmospheric stability; Mixing height, Ground level concentration, Inversion, Basic knowledge of climatological parameters for environmental study; Classification of Climate. Fundamentals of temperature, pressure, relative humidity, rainfall and wind speed.
VII. Energy Interactions: Energy budget concept: Radiation fluxes, metabolism of latent heat exchange.
VIII. Biogeochemical cycles: Carbon Cycle, Nitrogen Cycle, Phosphorus Cycle, Sulphur cycle.

Syllabus BSc (Honours) in Environmental Science University of Calcutta

Quick Reply
Your Username: Click here to log in