2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

20th September 2014, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Bangalore University BCA 1st Semester Question Paper

Here is the list of few questions of Bangalore University BCA 1st Semester Question Paper which you are looking for .

Q. 1. Read the passage and answer the questions that follow :

As human civillzations have changed from agrarian to industrial economies, they have become increasingly dependent on fossil fuels (petroleum, coal and natural gas) and derived forms of energy (heat and electricity). Early agricultural societies depended entirely on the energy of sunlight to grow food, and the energy of physicai labour for its cultivation and harvest. Domestic animals, introduced later, converted food energy into fats, fibres and proteins and provided greater physical strength to draw ploughs, pull carts and turn waterwheels. These early societies obviously did not require electricity or combustion engines to drive machines.

The invention of the electric motor and the internal combustion engine in the nineteenth century changed this orientation completely. Firstly, these machines were a startling boost to productivity. They enabled man to do far more work and to cultivate and harvest greater acreage. Secondly, machines replaced draft animals, with the result that modern agricultural operations became dependent on petroleum and electricity. An absence of either one would be disastrous to present food production throughout much of the world.

Essentially the same transition has occurred in energy requirements for industrial, transportation and domestic needs. One hundred years ago, electricity was a novelty, automobiles were a freakish invention and the diesel truck was unknown. Since then, all three have become essential. A modern city cannot exist without electricity and petroleum. Within another hundred years we will have to find alternatives for the latter, since the world's reserves will not last that long, but our need for electrical energy will continue to rise.

(From : Ecology and the Quality of our Environment by Charles H. Southwick)

(i) Give a suitable title to the passage.

(ii) What is the collective name for energy sources such as petaoleum and coal?

(iii) What two basic forms of energy were sufficient to support life in early agricultural societies ?

(iv) What caused a change from the older system in the nineteenth century ? Discuss briefly.

(v) What are the three essentials of modern life ? Will they continue to exist in the future ? Give a reason for your answer.

Q. 2. (a) Change the following sentences into the passive voice :
(i) The police caught the culprits red-handed.
(ii) The people beat up the terrorists with hockey sticks.

(b) Fill in the blanks in the following sentence with the correct tense form of the verbs given in brackets :
(i) My mother ___________ (reach) home much before I left for college.
(ii) Usually she ____________ (return) home by 4 o'clock.
(iii) I ___________ (finish) my work so I can accompany you to the market.

Q. 3. In the following questions do as directed :
(a) Conect the following sentences :
(i) These days travel is costing a lot of money.
(ii) You can't get good marks unless you don't work hard.
(iii) Neena and Reena both are doctors.

(b) Complete the given sentence with a suitable tag question :
Sarita is very intelligent.

(c) Fiil in the blanks with suitable articles (a, an, the) ____________ woman in ___________ wheelchair is my aunt.

(d) Use the following words in one sentence each to bring out the difference in their meanings :
(i) advice
(ii) advise

(e) Complete the following sentence by adding a suitable relative clause:
She showed me the photograph of her friend .....

(f) Use the phrasal verb take on in your own sentence.

(g) Rewrite the following in reported speech :
She said, "Ravi, are you going to the market just now ?"

Q.4. Write a paragraph in about 150 words on any one of the following. The topic sentence is given to you. Develop it keeping in mind unity, order and coherence.
(i) Cyber crime is the dark side of computers.
(ii) Population control is not the responsibility of the Government only.
(iii) We owe it to the future generations to protect the environment.

Quick Reply
Your Username: Click here to log in