2024 2025 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

19th March 2016, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator

Re: BA History Tamil Nadu Open University

The syllabus for Bachelor Degree course in History offered by TNOU or Tamil Nadu Open University is as follows:

B.A History First Year
Paper I BHI - 11
History of India Upto 1206 A.D.

BLOCK I
Sources of Ancient Indian History. The effects of geography on Indian History, Unity in Diversity - Indus Valley Civilization Pre - Mauryan India: Political life - Kingship -Republics and Oligarchies and Rise of Magadha - Sisunagas and Nandas - Invasion of Alexander - Social life - Origin and Development of the Caste system - Position of Women. Religion in Ancient India - Vedic Religion - Jainism and Buddhism.

BLOCK II
The Mauryas : Rise and consolidation of the Empire - Asoka and spread of Buddhism - The Mauryan Administration North India from 185 B.C to 300 A.D. The Sungas and the Kanvas - Kanishka - Mahayanism - Gandara Art.

BLOCK III
The Age of the Guptas: Rise and consolidation of the Empire - Administration, Social and Economic life - Arts - Decline of the Guptas - Harshavardhana: Administration - Social and Religious life under Harsha.

BLOCK IV
History of Deccan: The Satavahanas - The Chalukyas of Vatapi - The Rashtrakutas.

BLOCK V
Northern India after Harsha: The Rajput Age - Political and Social conditions - Arab conquest of Sind - Mohamed of Ghazni and Mohamed of Ghor.

BA History Sylalbus Tamil Nadu Open University

Block - I
Foundation of Turkish Rule in Northern India 1206 - Kut-bud-din Aibak - Iltumish - Balban.
BlocK - II
Alauddin Khilji - Muhammad-bin-Tughlaq and Firuz Tughlaq
Block - III
The Lodis - Administrative system under the Delhi Sultanate - Social and Economic life
- Bhakthi Movement - Art and Architecture.
Block - IV
The Mughals - Babur and Humayun - Afghan interlude - Shershah - Akbar to Aurangazeb -1556 to 1707 : Rajput Policy - Religious Policy of the Great Mughals. The Deccan Policy of the Great Mughals - Northwest Frontier Policy - Mughal Administrative system - The Development of Art - Architecture under the great Mughals.
Block - V
Deccan - Sikhs and Marathas - The Rise and Fall of the Bahmini Kingdom - History of the Vijayanagar Empire upto 1565 - Administration - Social life - Arts. History of the Sikhs upto 1707 - The Rise of the Marathas - Shivaji - Maratha Administration.
References
Majumdar, R.C. et al, An Advanced History of India, ( Fourth Edition) Macmillan, Madras1978
Srivatsava, A.L. The Sultanate of Delhi, Shiva Lal Agarwala &Company, Agra 1977
Ishwariprasad, A Short History of the Muslim Rule in India, The Indian Press,
Allahabad, 1977
Mehta, J.L. Advanced Study in the History of Medieval India Vol.I(1000-1526) Sterling Publishers, New Delhi 1979

BLOCK – I
Meaning of State – Definition of Constitution – The theory of separation of
Powers – the Rule of Law and the Administrative Law – Party system – Convention and Usages.

BLOCK – II
Constitution of U.K – Salient features – The Executive – Monarchy – Prime Minister and Cabinet – The Legislative – Parliament – House of Commons and House of Lords – Judiciary – Party System.

BLOCK – III
Constitution of U.S.A., Salient features – Federalism – President – Congress – House of Representatives and Senate – Federal Judiciary – Supreme Court – Judicial Review – The Theory of Separation of powers – Checks and
Balances – Party System.

BLOCK - IV
Constitution of Switzerland – Salient features – Federalism - Federal council as Plural Executive – Federal Assembly – National Assembly – National Council – Federal Tribunal – Direct Democracy – Referendum – Initiative.

BLOCK - V
Constitution of India – Salient features – President – Prime Minister and
Cabinet – Parliament – Lok Sabha – Rajya Sabha – Judiciary – Supreme Court – Party system – Features in the state.
BOOKS RECOMMENDED
1. V.D.Mahajan, Select Modern Governments. S. Chand & Co., New Delhi, 2000.
2. J.C.Johari, Major Modern Political Systems, Vishal Publications,
New Delhi 1999.
3. A.C.Kapoor, Modern Constitutions, S. Chand & Co., New Delhi, 2003.

Block I
The advent of the Europeans – The Portuguese: the Dutch: The French: The English – The Anglo-French conflict (Carnatic Wars) The occupation of Bengal and Dual Government - Robert Clive.
Block II
Expansion of British under Warren Hastings Regulating Act, 1773 – Pitts India Act, 1784 – Impeachment; Cornwallis - Permanent Settlement – Reforms; Wellesley Subsidiary Alliance, William Bentinck – Reforms – Lord Dalhousie – Doctrine of Lapse; The Anglo-Mysore War – Sikh Wars.

Block III
Revolt of 1857 – Queen’s Proclamation – India under Crown’s Rule – Indian Councils Act of 1861 & 1892 – The Vernacular Press Act, 1878 – Growth of Local self Government – Illbert Bill.

Block IV
Indian National Movement - Rise of Nationalism – Foundation of Indian National Congress – Moderates and Extremists - Minto – Morley Reforms, 1909 – Government of India Act,
1919 – Gandhi – Non Co-operation Movement and Simon Commission - Civil Disobedience Movement – Government of India Act, 1935 – Quit India Movement – Cabinet Mission – Mountbatten Plan – Indian Independence.

Block V
Indian Renaissance and Socio – Religious Movements – the Brahma Samaj – Upliftment of Indian Women – Arya Samaj – Ramakrishna Mission – Theosophical Society – Aligarh
Movement – Muslim Communalism – Partition of India – Integration of the Indian States – Five year plans - Education – Agricultural Industry – Women’s Development – Science and
Technology - Nuclear policy – Non Alignment India and World Affairs Non Alignment – SAARC.

Books Recommended
1. Mahajan, V.D. - Ancient India
2. Sathianatha Iyer, R. - Political and cultural History of India Vols. I to III
3. Majumdar, R.C. - Advanced History of India
4. Smith, V.A. - New Oxford History of India (Revised Edition) by Spear T.G.P.
5. Thapper, R. - History of India, Vol. I
6. Nilakanta Sastri, K.A. - History of India, Parts I & III
7. Krishnamurthy, V.M. - Indian History, Vols. I & III
8. Ishwari Prasad - Short History of Muslim Rule in India
9. Venkataraman, T.K. - Manual of India History, Vol. II
10. Pakkianatha, I.S. - Mughal India and Modern India
11. Percival Spear - A History of India
12. Percival Spear - Oxford History of Modern India 1740-1975
13. Stanely Olpert - New History of India
14. Suntharalingam - History of Indian Nationalism

more syllabus detail attached a pdf file;
Attached Files
File Type: doc BA History Sylalbus Tamil Nadu Open University.doc (69.0 KB, 186 views)

Quick Reply
Your Username: Click here to log in