2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

8th October 2012, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator

Re: University of Calcutta Syllabus History

I am giving the history syllabus of BA History course of Calcutta University for your reference. Here is the syllabus.
Module-I
Sources of Early Indian History
1.1 Classification and importance of both Literary and Archaeological sources
1.2 Understanding the nature of the sources for each period
1.3 History and Itihasa
Module-II
Changing Relationship between people and landscape, from hunter-gatherers to post Harappan cultures in the Indian subcontinent
2.1 The importance of understanding archaeological cultures viz a` viz landscape features- Hunter Gatherers to Early Pastoralists and Agriculturists

For the rest you can download the pdf file provided.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CU History Syllabus.pdf (341.3 KB, 406 views)
4th October 2019, 01:31 PM
Unregistered

Hi buddy here I am looking for University of Calcutta B.A. Honours Course Of Studies In History program syllabus so will you plz let me know from where I can do download its syllabus ??
4th October 2019, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator

As you are asking for University of Calcutta B.A. Honours Course Of Studies In History program syllabus so on your demand I am providing same here :
PAPER-I
History of India from the earliest Times to 600 CE
UNIT-I (50 marks; 40 lectures)
Module-I
Sources of Early Indian History
1.1 Classification and importance of both Literary and Archaeological sources
1.2 Understanding the nature of the sources for each period
1.3 History and Itihasa
Module-II
Changing Relationship between people and landscape, from hunter-gatherers to post
Harappan cultures in the Indian subcontinent
2.1 The importance of understanding archaeological cultures viz a` viz landscape featuresHunter Gatherers to Early Pastoralists and Agriculturists
2.2 An over view of archaeological cultures in the subcontinent- pre-Mehrgarh , Mehrgarh and
contemporary to Mehrgarh
2.3 Early/Pre Harappan Cultures‐Prelude to Harappan Civilization ‐Harappan Civilization‐ the First
Urbanization
2.4 Pastoralist/Early agriculturist Cultures contemporary to the Harappan-various Neolithic and
Chalcolithic cultures of the Indian subcontinent
2.5 Decline of the Harappan civilization-Late/Post Harappan Cultures- a) Cemetery H phase, b)
Gandhara Grave phase, c) Lustrous Red Ware.

Module III
The Vedic Corpus and transition to the age of Janapadas and Mahajanapadas
(c.1500BCE-400 BCE)
3.1 Spread of settlements -Political situation
3.2 Aryan Debate
3.3 Archaeological cultures beyond the Vedic milieu Ochre coloured pottery, Black &Red
Ware and Painted Grey Ware
3.4Transition from chiefdom to kingdom- the Ganasangha tradition- sixteen mahajanapadasPre-eminence of Magadha

Module-IV
Mauryan & Post Mauryan India (c. 400BCE-300CE)
4.1 Nature and extent of the Mauryan empire
4.2 Asokas Dhamma
4.3 Decline of the Empire - rise of regional power centres in the post Mauryan period.
4.4 Central Asian intervention in north Indian politics focusing on the Indo-Greeks and the
Kushanas
4.5 The Satavahanas and their struggle with the Saka Kshatrapas of western India
4.6 Kings and chieftains the Cheras, Cholas and Pandyas- Sangam literature and archaeological
evidence.
Module- V
The Age of the Guptas (c.300CE 600CE)
5.1 Historical situation of India in 300CE—Emergence of the Gupta empire
5.2 The Empire in its mature form‐ Political achievements of the rulers‐disintegration of the
empire
5.3 Administrative structure of the empire with special reference to Bengal
5.4 Notion of Classical age and Threshold times
5.5 An introduction to the contemporary dynasties like the Vakatakas, the Kadambas etc.,

University of Calcutta B.A. Honours Course Of Studies In History program syllabus

Quick Reply
Your Username: Click here to log in