2023 2024 Student Forum > Management Forum > Main Forum

17th November 2014, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

Re: UGC NET Botany Exam Syllabus

Here is the syllabus for the UGC NET Botany Exam which you are looking for .

Unit 1 : Plant Taxonomy and Biosystematics
Nomenclature, purpose, principles and systems of classification; Taxonomy of higher plants, floras, manuals, monographs, index, catalogues and dictionaries, herbaria; Concepts of biosystematics, evolution and differentiation of species; Biosystematic and taxonomic tools; Origin, evolution and biosystematics of selected crops (rice, wheat, rape seed & mustard, cotton).

Unit 2 : Economically important plants –I
Origin, history, domestication, botany, genetic resource activities, cultivation, production and use of:
Cereals: Wheat, rice, maize, sorghum, pearl millet and minor millets.
Pulses: Pigeon pea, chickpea, black gram, green gram, cowpea, soyabean, pea, lentil, horsegram, lab-lab bean, ricebean, winged bean, French bean, lima bean, sword bean.
Oilseeds: Groundnut, sesame, castor, rape seed, mustard, sunflower, safflower, niger, oil palm, coconut and linseed.

Unit 3 : Economically important plants –II
Origin, distribution, cultivation, production and utilization of economic plants of following groups such as Fibres: cotton, silk cotton, jute, sunnhemp, agave, flax and mesta (kenoff); Sugars: sugarcane, sugarbeet, sugarpalm and sweet sorghum; Fodders and green manure crops: Plantation crops: coconut, cocoa, tea; root and tuber crops-: potato, sweet potato, tapioca, aroids etc.

Unit 4 : Economically important plants –III
Origin, distribution, classification, production and utilization of Fruits: mango, banana, citrus, guava, grapes and other indigenous fruits; apple, plum, pear, peach, cashewnut and walnut; Vegetables: tomato, brinjal, okra, cucumber, cole crops, gourds etc.; Fumigatories and masticatories: tobacco, betelvine, areacanut; medicinal and aromatic plants: sarpagandha, belladonna, cinchona, nux-vomica, vinca, mentha and glycirrhiza, plantago etc.; Narcotics: cannabis, datura, gloriosa, pyrethrum and opium; Dye-, tannin-, gum- and resin- yielding plants; Plant of agro-forestory importance: multipurpose trees/shrubs, subabool, Acacia nilotica, poplar, sesbania, neem etc.; non-traditional economic plants: jojoba, guayule, jatropha, carcus etc.

Unit 5 : Biodiversity and Plant Genetic Resources (PGR)
Biosphere and biodiversity; plant species richness and endemism; concept and importance of plant genetic resources and its increasing erosion; Centres of origin and diversity of crop plants, domestication, evaluation, bioprospecting; National and International organizations associated with PGR; Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD), recent issues related to access and ownership of PGR, IPR,. PBRs, farmers rights, sui-generis system etc.

Unit 6 : Germplasm Augmentation
History and importance of germplasm collection, ecogeographical distribution of diversity, logistics of exploration and collection, use of flora and herbaria, random and selective sampling, genepool sampling in self and cross pollinated species; Concept, importance and ecogeographical considerations of introduction and exchange of plant germplasm; prerequisites conventions and achievements of PGR exchange.

Unit 7 : Germplasm Conservation
Principles and methods of conservation, in situ and ex situ methods, on – farm conservation; Gene banks: short-medium- and long-term conservation strategies; seed physiology and seed technology in conservation; seed storage behaviour (orthodox, recalcitrant), field genebanks, clonal respositories. Gene bank management, gene bank standard for various crops, ISTA, AOSA, IPGRI guidelines, documentation of information in gene bank.

Unit 8 : Biotechnology in PGR
Plant conservation biotechnology, biotechnology in plant germplasm acquisition; plant tissue culture in disease elimination, in vitro conservation and exchange; cryopreservation, transgenics – exchange and biosafety issues; biochemical and molecular approaches to assessing plant diversity.

Unit 9 : Plant Quarantine
Principles, objectives and relevance of plant quarantine; Regulations and plant quarantine set up in Indai; economic significance of seed borne pests, pathogens and weeds; detection and post entry quarantine operations, salvaging of infested/infected germplasm, domestic quarantine.

Unit 10 : Germplasm characterization, evaluation, maintenance and regeneration
Principles and strategies of PGR evaluation, approaches in germplasm characterization and diversity analysis, concept of core collection, descriptors and descriptor states for data scoring; maintenance of working and active collections of self-cross-pollinated and vegetatively propagated crops, perennials and wild relatives; principles and practices of regeneration in relation to mode of reproduction, concept of genetic integrity, genetic shift, genetic drift and optimum environment; post-harvest handling of germplasm; PGR data base management.
13th February 2016, 09:43 AM
Unregistered

Hello sir I want to know UGC NET Botany Exam Syllabus so here can you please give me details ?
13th February 2016, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator

Hey as NET is conducted by UGC every year in the months of June and December..

Eligibility

The candidate must have completed his post graduation with an aggregate of 55% without rounding off (50% for SC/ST candidates)

The candidate must be less than 28 years of age as on 1st date of the month of exam if applying for JRF..

Syllabus

Plant Taxonomy and Biosystematics

Economically important plants –I

Economically important plants –II

Economically important plants –III

Biodiversity and Plant Genetic Resources (PGR)

Germplasm Augmentation

Germplasm Conservation

Biotechnology in PGR

Plant Quarantine

Germplasm characterization, evaluation, maintenance and regeneration
9th July 2016, 11:02 AM
pankaj.wsg@gmail.com

Hello sir I want to know UGC NET Botany Exam Syllabus so here can you please give me details ?
8th October 2018, 07:40 PM
shardul bhandari

can i do research for environment and public health
3rd August 2019, 08:45 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I am looking for the syllabus for the UGC NET Botany Exam . Will you please provide it ?
Please provide for net exam in botany extremes
15th October 2019, 10:52 AM
Unregistered

here I am looking for UGC NET Botany Exam Syllabus , so will you plz provide me same here as my one of the friend asking for its syllabus ??
15th October 2019, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

First of all I would like to say Botany comes under CSIR NET. You can appear in CSIR NET under Life Science subject. there is no any subject in UGC NET for Botany, CSIR NET includes 5 subjects, they are;

Life Science
Earth Science
Physical Science
Environmental Science
Chemical Science.

CSIR NET Life Science syllabus
LIFE SCIENCE

Council of Scientific and Industrial Research

Human Resource Development Group

Examination Unit

CSIR-UGC (NET) EXAM FOR AWARD OF JUNIOR RESEARCH FELLOWSHIP AND ELIGIBILITY FOR LECTURERSHIP

LIFE SCIENCES

EXAM SCHEME

TIME: 3 HOURS MAXIMUM MARKS: 200

CSIR-UGC (NET) Exam for Award of Junior Research Fellowship and Eligibility for Lecturership shall be a Single Paper Test having Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs). The question paper is divided in three parts

Part 'A'

This part shall carry 20 questions pertaining to General Science, Quantitative Reasoning & Analysis and Research Aptitude. The candidates shall be required to answer any 15 questions. Each question shall be of two marks. The total marks allocated to this section shall be 30 out of 200.

Part 'B'

This part shall contain 50 Multiple Choice Questions(MCQs) generally covering the topics given in the syllabus. A candidate shall be required to answer any 35 questions. Each question shall be of two marks. The total marks allocated to this section shall be 70 out of 200.

Part 'C'

This part shall contain 75 questions that are designed to test a candidate's knowledge of scientific concepts and/or application of the scientific concepts. The questions shall be of analytical nature where a candidate is expected to apply the scientific knowledge to arrive at the solution to the given scientific problem. A candidate shall be required to answer any 25 questions. Each question shall be of four marks. The total marks allocated to this section shall be 100 out of 200.

CSIR NET Life Science syllabus

Tags
short term

Quick Reply
Your Username: Click here to log in